Who Shot Rommel's Car?

Hi Ming, I’m not chasing you for the mission, but for some historical evidence :slight_smile:

I’m trying to make up a page of 602 aircraft pictures with short historical notes. Of course there is the ‘Rommel Under Attack’, but I have a couple of conflicting claims:

412 Squadron - Charley Fox

602 Squadron - Jaques Remlington

Do you (or any other history buff) have any clearer evidence?

Pierre Clostermann, then a 602 pilot, tells the story in “The Big Show”. He says it was a flight of 4 from 602, Remlington amongst them. I dont remember if he was the one who actually shot Rommel, I seem to remember it was another 602 pilot.

Thanks Nepe.

I did some old fashioned research and checked out ‘The Big Show’.

No luck :o

7 July 1944, the MO packed Closterman off to Arromanches to recover his nerves ‘Jaques himself pointed out that I had a nervous tic like a decrepit drug-addict’.

17 July 1944, Rommel is injured by strafing from spitfires.

Dec 1944, Closterman allowed back to active duty, and started flying Tempests in 83 Group.

So, it may be possible that Jaques Remlington strafed Rommel, but Closterman was not around :frowning:

This should help you out a bit…

South African chappie

Do a search on that page for 602 and you should find the name: Chris le Roux

Also the following google search throws up some links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=602+rommel+south+african

The Big Show, 2004 edition

part Four, page193: “Rommel”

“Chris Le Roux, a South African…was leading the flight, which was made up of Jacques, ‘Mouse’ Manson, Jonssen the Norwegian, Robinson, and the New Zelander, Bruce Oliver…”

“Oliver opened fire with his two 20mm. guns and his four 303 machine guns…a second shell hit the car at the height of Rommel’s back…indeed, Jacques Remlinger, in the second Spitfire, also fired, killing the motorcyclist…”

Never mind who shot the car. Who the hell is this geezer? :smiley:

lol, yep, welcome back Flowbee. We already had all the jokes about this poor sod when Painter first posted the picture up in the old forum.

I think the best crack was ‘should have went to Specsavers’ :slight_smile:

Anyway, Nepe, thanks :slight_smile: I was unfortunately checking the original version of ‘The Big Show’. Would love to read the new one if I can get a hold of it. I wonder why the publishers omitted that story from the original. Is it possible that the Allies were sorry to see Rommel put out of action? A respected German leader, may well have helped in ‘disposing’ of Hitler. Of course, Normandy may have been tougher if he was still in command!

And some excellent links, Keets, I found no reference to Chris Le Roux in all my searches!

IMO, that is enough evidence to include this picture in my web site currently under development (though some PSP touches may be necessary on four-eyes). Some excellent artists really should stick to inanimate objects :wink:

I wonder if it worth showing this evidence to ‘The Spitfire Emporium’ to counter Charley Fox’s logbook:

Sorry Joe, some problem working out which threads are active :frowning:

They’ve covered it I think, I’ve read about it in a few books but the new Clostermann’s book has it IIRC

I think Clostermann was under some sort of security warning or something earlier - to do with his thoughts on various Top Brass, French I think - maybe he had to wait for someone to die :slight_smile:

Ming

np Ming,

Was a fascinating study, and not over yet. Website done.

Next task the coop - not sure who will be fighting who, maybe a section from 602 and 412 and a Masked Mustang section battle it out over Normandy to see who can claim the virtual Rommel :wink:

Then the movie… :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

It’s over to the right of the Normandy map where the action took place, I didn’t know Paris is quite near to the right-hand edge and up just a bit

For a coop I was thinking of those long roads and vectoring the staff car convoy around in a large circle so the Allied planes would need to seek it out, he’s on the way back to Normandy from Paris but he could make a wrong turn if he was in a hurry - say 30-60 minutes of waypoints to give us a good chance of finding him, and with his fighter cover hanging around. At least they’d have to come down a bit to defend him :slight_smile:

When they take him to the hospital we can bomb it in the next “Finish Off Rommel” mission :slight_smile:

Ming

I found these pages through Google:
http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol014dt.html
http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol015dt.html

I’m not sure they throw any more light on the Rammel attack, but do cover Chris Le Roux activity.

In “The Big Show” which I am sure you have read it seemed pretty certain who was attributed with the claims of having shot up Rommel’s car… obviously there is some big “whodunnit” I have been missing as to who was actually responsible

Insight, I think we were all fairly certain it was 602, but we may have been prejudiced.

It was this website that gave me doubts, initially, though I now think there is enough evidence that it was Chris Le Roux (most notably, as you say, ‘The Big Show’ but only in the 2004 edition!)

http://www.spitcrazy.com/Rommel%20Under%20Attack%20-%20the%20Full%20Story.htm

On N179, just out of Livarot, fate finally caught up with the Desert Fox…

As the lookout shouted an alarm, two Canadian Spitfires from 412 Squadron came diving down in a curving attack from behind and to the left. At about 300 yards, Charley Fox, in the lead aircraft, squeezed off a brief burst from his 20 mm cannon. That was enough.Daniel, seriously wounded, lost control of the speeding car. It hurtled on for several hundred yards before finally crashing into the ditch. Captain Lang escaped unhurt, Neuhaus with minor injuries. Daniel was to die shortly afterwards. Field Marshal Rommel was thrown against the windshield post, sustaining serious head injuries. His career was over.

hmm

there is also some debate as to whether he killed himself or whether the 2 gestapo or high ranking german official types ( i forget which) that were coincidentially there when he died ‘helped’ or not

interestingly that account of the car turning over is very similar to that given in the Big Show except that in the Big Show it is said that Rommel hit a tree I think

More conflicting data :o

Qudos to whoever it was that perchanced on Rommel’s car that day in July - be it a Canadian, American or British squadron.

However, I’m still keen to get confirmation that it was 602 as I’m about to make a little movie that will include this very incident. Evidence seems to be against 602, as the log books show 602 landing before Rommel is reported to have been on the road. There is some mix up over the timezones (nothing changes, lol!)

See more here:

Which inlcudes a statement from the son of one of 602’s flight leader on the day who did not think Chris Le Roux hit Rommel’s car.

It’s all still inconclusive, though. Any clues, anybody?

I thought Rommel was killed by the SS when he was unsuccesful at killing Hitler in the Bunker? If this is true he holds a small place in my heart for trying to do what needed to be done that others were too coward to do.

He was, but he was injured in a strafing attack not long after the Normandy invasion which hospitalised him.

An excellent movie, in which James Mason portrays the character of Rommel with admirable acting is The Desert Fox

From all I have read, he was an honourable and intelligent man, but just on the wrong side.

SPOILER WARNING

Don’t read if you want to watch that film and not know how it ends.

Rommel was injured during the straffing and was not fit to return to duty. During his convalesence, he was accused of conspiring to assasinate Hitler. The SS found out and gave him the choice of a dishonourable execution and shame on his family or ‘take this pill’.

But what pilot was lucky enough to come across his car and end his career with a quick burst of 20mm? That event certainly may have been a butterfly effect.

In the phonetic alphabet of the day, Charlie was C and Fox was F. Aircraft CF - Charlie Fox - Charley Fox - Chris de Roux?

I suggest it was Professor Plum in the conservatory with the lead pipe.

I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy… :rolleyes: