TS3 problems

:mad: Ok, it’s really getting to me to the brink of thinking about flying without comms (and how fun is that?).
TS3 frankly works like shit for me, COD is a marvel of good working software if comparing my frustration levels.

Last night we flew COD and used TS3 as we have done before, and I could hear approximately 50-60% of what was beeing said on the channel. I found a statistics page inside TS3 that showed number of dropped packages, and I averaged around 30%, so no wonder it works like shit.

This is not a new phenomenon that suddenly popped up, but I can’t remember it beeing quite this bad when flying IL-2, but in good old IL-2 I get extremely high pings from time to time (leading to me getting kicked from servers of they have any high ping kick setting) when using TS3, something that usually don’t happen with TS2.

It seems like TS3 is using (or trying to use) a lot more bandwith then TS2, and need better pings, and that doesn’t play well with my 3G internet connection.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make my TS3 realize that it can’t use a 10Mbit for itself when it’s simply not available, or do I have to put down the connection speed on the channels I’m using to the lowest possible (and yes, that would be a setting on the server that would affect everyone on the same channel, not just me, expect crappier sound then ever!)?

/Mikke, totally fed up with TS3. :mad:

Sorry to hear that Mikke, but I’ve to say that me Nepe and other two 51’s mates yesterday night flew for two hours in BoB1940_by_LW10 and had no problems with comms quality.
I’m not prepared to answer you to how much bandwith TS3 uses in my line and especially compared to the fact that this could be the reason to be much easily banned to some servers with high pings.:o
I had to say however that many times using TS3 happens to hear mates in brilliant quality audio but loosing words or part of it.
My yesterday’s ping was very low (48) and will try to test comms also with high ones.
Will report all informations.
S!

If you’re using a 3G Internet connection, are you sure it’s not that which is the problem? I have a mobile broadband dongle for my laptop which I use when on the road and occasionally the bandwidth drops from Mb/s to kb/s for no reason. Do you have a bandwidth monitor on the connection?

As for TS3, you should be able to limit the amount of bandwidth as you could in TS2. I used to have mine at a max of 4 x whatever the Codec was, which should theoretically limit you to hearing four people speaking simultaneously. Since we moved to TS3, I’ve not set it up.

One other thing to check would be to try another TS3 server, you could ty Brigstock’s Cry Havoc server, details in the WW1 forum.

I read through a few thread on the net and it seems that there are problems with some types of connection.

It also seems that Voice activation are part of the problem. With this in mind I think that the more and more people have been using voice activation lately. So voice deciplin have been going down.

In TS2 we used Speex 19.5Kbit
In TS3 we use Speex Ultra-Wide (32kHz), quality 8 (5.81 KiB/s)

Does anyone know how they compare?

@Mikke

USB devices use CPU power, but the power drain may change instantnious.
Have you made sure that the USB devices cannot go into powersave?

Have you changed a powerplan in Windows to give you High Performace?
I do that every time I start gaming.

In TS3
-> Settings -> Options -> Capture

Capture Mode:
Are you using Automatically use best mode a specific Mode?

The solution might be to change to another codec in the 331 Sqd channel.
We could change from Wide (32bit) to 16bit or 8bit

Sure it’s part of the problem, BUT TS2 works ok, sound is usable and I don’t get the ping spikes I do with TS3. I have a good 3G connection in Strömsund where I fly, watching streaming movies etc is usually no problem at all.

To be hones I haven’t looked for an solution on other forums etc, just looked through all the settings I can find in TS3, without any luck…

Have you made sure that the USB devices cannot go into powersave?

I have most powersave stuff turned off, and the only things I have connected to USB is the 3G dongle and the joystick, none of them goes into power save mode while flying I’m sure. :wink:

Capture Mode:
Are you using Automatically use best mode a specific Mode?

Using Auto mode yes. Do you think choosing Direct Sound or Windows Audio Session instead be better?

Current setting for the 331 channel is:
Name: 331 Squadron Channel (5681)
Codec: Speex Ultra-Wideband (32 kHz)
Codec Quality: 8 (estimated bitrate: 5.81 KiB/s)
Type: Perm
Current Clients: 0 / Unlimited
Subscription Status: Subscribed
Voice Data Encryption: Unencrypted

Next time we fly I will adjust the setting down, see if it helps. That Ultra-Wideband Codec sounds slightly suspicious… Be prepared for shitty sound though.

As a comparison, not only does TS2 work better, but so did the other voice comms we tried earlier this summer, think it was what comes with Steam, but IIRC it was limited to 1 on 1 comms?

Yes, sound is good for me as well, part of the time, but unfortunately that is only 50% of the time or so. With the exception of a few that sound tinny (like I do as well according to others yesterday).

Mikke I’m sorry to hear, that you have such considerable difficulties.

I’d also suggest, that you maybe write about your probs in the forum of our provider.

I can do that as well, if you want, using your description here.

The old TS2 server is still there and usable by the way.

They didn’t switch it off yet.

Codec Quality: 8 (estimated bitrate: 5.81 KiB/s)

What you need to do is limit the bandwidth that TS uses, rather than change the codec for the whole channel. Currently the 331 channel is using 5.81 kb/s for each person on that channel when they speak. This is less than what TS2 was using, but it could be taking more CPU processing to decode the data.

I’m away from my pc at the minute, but I can’t believe they’d remove the setting. Have a look and see if you can find the upload/download limit. I’d suggest limit it to 3x 5.81 or 18kb/s download including a small overhead and see if that makes a difference.

There is a setting to limit speed for Downloads, but as far as I can tell that only have to do with downloads of files, not for the normal working of TS3. I haven’t been able to find any other setting for bandwith usage, but if anyone can find a setting for it, let me know!

Can’t find it in TS3. Must be a TS2 feature.
More userfriendly <=> Less features

When I hear Mikke, I get the feeling of a bust. Where the first part is missing.

Thought:
TS use UDP (packets without sending a confirmation packet back). Usually get dropped if they arrive out of order or with a to large time delay.

@Mikke
I was wondering what you happen If you let the voice actication be so sensitive that It was open all the time.

The reason why I wanted you to change Capture Mode and Capture device was to get you away from “Automatic”. Such features might work in 99% but I want to make sure that TS3 dosen’t make the automatic switch during you conversations.

@Everybody
In the tab
Settings -> Options -> Capture

There is an Advanced Options

Have any one any idear what Legacy Voice Activation Detection does different?

I just looked into 331 Channel settings (Edit Channel option) and saw that there is a delay setting. Could that be the reason for probs?

I’m using PTT, not voice activated. I will test using Direct Sound instead of Auto select.

Hiaw, I have tried adjusting the setting for the channel, but the delay stays at 20ms.

I have checked the bandwidth setting in TS2, and there I have it set on unlimited, which works just fine.

Ok, have set the codec to 16 bit something (on the 331 channel), and that really helped a lot, almost no dropped packages, sound quality is acceptable (about same as TS2, perhaps a little worse, but not much). Overall a big improvement for me!

Receptions was a huge improvement to me :smiley:

Ok, TS3 problems is back, worse then ever.

With only me and Apollo on 331 channel sound was acceptable, same when Starfire joined, but as soon as anyone else joined sound became crap, and after a while it was all only garbled noice and I lost connection all the time.

Got so fed up that me and Apollo switched to TS2, which worked just fine. Sound was ok-ish, better then with only one more on the 331 channel on TS3 I would say, and no breakups, no garbled noice or shit like that, I was actually able to hear what Apollo said. Yes, I’m really fed up with TS3. :rolleyes:

When I joined the 331 channel, the sound was rough compared with the 602 channel and dispersal channels

I note 331 use a different Codec (Speedex Wideband) to other channels, with a quality of 1
Dispersal uses Speedex Ultra-Wideband with a quality of 6
Most squadrons are using Speedex Ultra-Wideband with a quality of 7

HTH

Yes, and if you read above you know why Painter. With better codec I get package loss over 50%, sometimes close to 100%. Going down in codex was a try for a bandaid to give me some kind of comms with TS3, but with the experience from yesterday, it only helps a little. TS3 is still crap for me.

This thread talks about turning off the background noise filter in the advanced options. Maybe worth a go??

Not sure if you’ve tried, but is it worth uninstalling, reboot and then re-install so that TS will re-install the Codec drivers? Just wondering if you have corrupted drivers somehow??

Onboard audio drivers update maybe Mikke? (RealTek/DirectSound)

Ming

Just wondering if you have corrupted drivers somehow??

Dammit I’m coming in after Keets again :slight_smile:

The thread doesn’t sound like the problem I have, for me the problem seems to be bandwith related. But I will try the fixes anyway.