Networking Guru's .. some questions for you please

What are you trying to connect to using the WAP protocol? A wireless phone? A pocket PC?

I tried to connect my pocket pc, and I got into a jungle of upgrades and versions at the Compaq site. The problem was solved as I upgraded that software, and I think you should start in that end. Your router is brand new, and should be OK.

I gather that you got the WLAN up and running?

I’m guessing its a channel setting and/or a security setting on your wireless router, could be the SSID.

We’ll call Wireless Router (A) and WAP (B). They need to be able to talk to each other.

Go into the Wireless Router (A) and look at the wireless settings. Have you got WEP enabled? Do you have an SSID configured? Is the SSID being broadcast?

Does the WAP (B) know the SSID of the Wireless Router (A) (if you don’t have the SSID being broadcast)?

Did you use the Wizards to configure the Wireless? (If so it might be worth going through this manually).

If you’re still having bother, I’ll go through it with you on TS.

Thanks guys …
Yep the router is broadcasting SSID, the problem it appears is the WAP will not find an IP address, now I don’t know if thats because I got the wrong thing or not TBH.
I eventually got through (to India by the sounds of it) and she was telling me the WAP cannot obtain an IP as it does not have DHCP built in … I can’t understand why a WAP cannot talk to the Router … surely it doesnt need the modem IP, just an IP from the router ?
the routers job is to pass the internet to the connected devices, be they Wireless or hardwired isn’t it ?
Hardwiiring aniother PC to the router and it works fine, Wireless it and it complains it isnt being given an IP :confused:
Can I fix an IP into the WAP and on the Router so they can talk ?

I would like to take you up on that offer Keets … I will fire up TS now and wait :wink:

surely it doesnt need the modem IP, just an IP from the router ?

What she’s telling you is that the WAP doesn’t have DHCP capability, which means it cannot dish out an IP address.

The WAP, should be trying to obtain an IP address from the Router. The Router has DHCP.

anyway, more on TS.

Majik,

Just seen this post on the netgear support forums:

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=25583

You will never be able to connect those two devices together wirelessly. You can run a cable from the WG602 to one of the LAN ports on the WGR614 and extend the range that way. But these two devices don’t support WDS which is needed to bridge an access point to a router.

Which is pretty much what we found out last night…

Doing a bit of searching, you need something like this gaming adaptor from US Robotics:
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=USR5430

Setup in Client mode: http://www.usr.com/support/5430/5430-ug/two.html

If it were just a PC you wanted to connect wirelessly to your router, a standard Wirless NIC card will be fine.

Many thanks again for your help last night mate :slight_smile:

Have just ordered this

… so fingers crossed it get the range !

Hopefully I can configure it ok … but I am not sure much of last night stuck in my dodgy memory bank :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it might be wise (if possible) to assign that device a static IP of the top end of the range so it does not get changed if a couple of other connections ask for an IP.

Just downloaded the manual from here:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?question_box=WGE111&collections=kb_file%2Cdatasheets&ui_mode=question&collection_restriction=docs&x=100&y=22

That looks just the job! :slight_smile:

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the config.

Thanks Keets, docs downloaded :slight_smile:

The issue with the WAP is not that it doesn’t have a DCHP server, it is the fact that it doesn’t have a DCHP client either. I’ve had a look at the US robotics gaming and to be fair it is over priced, USR used to be a good make in the network world, however they have slipped over the years especially in the wireless market. The Netgear one looks like a good bet and they seem to be leading the market at the mo if not slightly pricey. I favour Linksys and DLink, I’ve supported Linksys for work at home office bods with little effort and used DLink myself for years. I know Linksys do a similar gaming adapter for around a tenner less. If I was you I would keep the WAP, at least for a wile anyway, it may have relay capabilities that will come in handy linking the gaming adapter and the router.

All Greek to me dear boy…

I’ve always wanted to say that and mean it. Some sort of reparation for the Minglish Years. I hand the baton on lol :slight_smile:

Ming

Woot !!
Plug n Play … just received the bridge, plugged it in and it worked out of the box :smiley:
The took it downstairs to the Xbox, expecting to lose signal and it worked excellently :slight_smile:

Currentlty giving it a workout by downloading a hi-def music video from live!, 512mb … we will see what happens :slight_smile:

Nice one Majik, good luck with it. I got a Belkin range extender for my WLAN and had a similar problem in that it would not act as a bridge. Good when it all comes together :slight_smile:

SO, What ports do I need to open for IL2 and GTL hosting please guys ?

Il2 is 21000 on both public and LAN port, depending on the router software they call it different things - Belkin refer to it as “virtual server” settings. Don’t know about GTL.

Hmmm … thinking that port is a common games one, I set it up for IL2 and when I try to do another with the same port it tells me there is a conflict … so you cant set 2 apps with one port ?
Also it asks for “service name” I assume thats the .exe file of the program without the .exe added when I enter it ?

Also I noticed this in the router setup page:
"Port Triggering is an advanced feature that can be used for gaming and other internet applications. Port Forwarding can typically be used to enable similar functionality, but it is static and has some limitations.

Port Triggering opens an incoming port temporarily and can does not require the server on the internet to track your IP address if it is changed by DHCP, for example.

Port Triggering monitors outbound traffic. When the router detects traffic on the specified outbound port, it remembers the IP address of the computer that sent the data and “triggers” the incoming port. Incoming traffic on the triggered port is then forwarded to the triggering computer."

So I can configure games for port triggering and it would be better than port forwarding ?

I have also reserved the address for the hosting PC on the routers software, so it will not change, as I remember Keets said this was a good idea :slight_smile:

Port forwarding Majik.

Here’s how to do this on your WGR614 router:

1. Go to Port Forwarding in the window on the left.
  2. Click Add Custom Service
  3. Service Name = IL2, Starting Port 21000 - ending port 21001, Server IP address - whichever one you want your flying PC on. (Remember I said set a fixed IP for your flying IP? :slight_smile:
  4. Click Apply.

You’re done.

You’ll also need to do the same for GT Legends and other games you play/host.

But if I set another game using the same port it gives me a “Port conflict with other service” message ?
And the service name has to be exactly that of the exe ?
And what about hyperlobby, or does that just work as is ?

Sorry :slight_smile:

And does anyone know the ports needed for GTL as my manual is in German :wink:

They all use different detail for the same thing, I’ll help with what I can.

Also it asks for “service name” I assume thats the .exe file of the program without the .exe added when I enter it ?
I would have thought that was actually a trivial name to help you remember which application each instance was for, like “My Connection”, “My Games”, “My Hate Page for Operating Systems That Try To Be Cute By Calling Everything My” but I may be wrong.

Port Triggering is an advanced feature that can be used for gaming and other internet applications
A forwarded port is always open, potentially presenting a (rather minor) security risk. It sounds as if Port Triggering is a security feature that only opens the port on demand, which seems like quite a good idea. However, if you get problems with it the ordinary Port Forwarding is good enough.

so you cant set 2 apps with one port ?
What it actually means is that if the port is open, it can’t be open twice. Which is why I assume the service name is a trivial name like “My Games Port” that any number of games wanting 21000 can share.

I have also reserved the address for the hosting PC
Yes, you specify that IP and assign the port forwarding on that machine explicitly. Again, this is why you are so much better off behind a router. Unless someone is going to all the trouble of spoofing IP and MAC addresses - not easy - then you can lock your network pretty tight. the main threat is stuff that gets activated, wittingly or unwittingly “by you”, from within the network.

edit Overlapping posts :slight_smile:
And what about hyperlobby, or does that just work as is ?
you don’t need to add anything specifically for HL

And why, pray, do you have a German manual? I could sell you an English one for a small fee :wink:

TOP TIP
When hosting a GTL server behind a firewall, you must make sure that UDP ports 34297 and 34298, and TCP port 34347, are open. For more information please consult GTL_Server_Hosting.doc, located in your game folder

Now, I bet looking at your manual that translation is obvious, isn’t it? :roflmao: