VR headset disabilitating one lens and process

Hi all a quick question for VR users. Is there an application/setting that would inabilitate one lens in the headset to save some resources? I just saw somebody with only one working eye fliyng in dcs.
Second question could you do a test and tell me what it is like flying in dcs with a blind eye?
I’m really curious and unfortunately I know nobody near enough to ask him to let me try personally.
Thank’s guys!

Well did a fast research on google and the answer for my first question is no.

Hi regarding the first question I really don’t know… probably there is some setting in the openXR library let you disable one of the two lenses.

For the latter, I can tell you that VR is a kind of emulated 3D.
It is like watching Movie in a 3D cinema. Each eye simply focus on the screen (at a given distance) and the 3D effect is emulated by properly shifting right and left.

If you disable one of the eye you get a 2D picture. No depth effect.

Pro: the visual rotation has a 1:1 relation with the actual head movement. No distortion induced by TrackIR or equivalent.

Cons: You have a significant reduction in FOV. An ordinary 2D widescreen monitor is highly recommended.

1 Like

Hi,
Q1, like bug says,
Q2, I tryed it, taping 1 eye off, noticed that I needed to turn head more to get good view. I think that one can get use to less depth in Vr like in real life maybe? Think its more a personal view.
Maybe you can try it somewhere?
Cheers
Rob

Hi guys and thank’s! Well in real life that’s what I get but nonetheless I could play great tennis and ping pong even with my sightning. The brain makes up for the deep perception, and thank god for that.
As for the widht of sight when turning the head I know of a mod Necksafer that improves dramatically the FOV when looking for six.
Thank you! and have a good flight tonight. If I can I’ll listen to you over discord.

Hi Shardana,
Q1 no idea, Q2 I ran DCS and closed alternatively both eyes, the perceived image did not change as quality ( with that I mean that visor image is a wonderful 2D and one or two eyes opened does not change much).
What changes is the degree of the visual ( that’s why with one eye opened we need to turn the head more) and the perceived visual “quality” is affected by your open eye visus ( if you wear spectacles under the visor you are ok).
S!

Thak you Blanco! as said on whatsapp in normal life my sight is the same. my lazy and strabic left eye is used by my brain as a peripherical view and adds just 20/25% of FOV on the left. But that’s ok, I can play ping pong, tennis and any other sport that require depht view with no problem at all.
I’m just dying of curiosity to try a visor using just my right eye like many people with impaired eye sight are doing. I want to feel being inside my cockpit. As soon as I manage to find a friend in Cagliari I’ll beg for a test.
And may be one day I colud try the jump with a Quest 2, of course if my gtx 2060 video card holds the stake.

1 Like