Typhoon skins?

Anyone know where I can get my hands on some generic Typhoon skins for a static campaign I’m building? At the moment I’m using a late war Tempest skin (CptFarrel’s I think) which gets rid of the fuselage stripes. I need a pre invasion 1943 era skin and wouldn’t mind an early skin with white nose markings to fend off the spitfires.

I believe the Tiffie in IL2 uses a modded Hurricane wing and Tempest fuselage but, although the fuselage seems to be mapped in the same place as the Tempest I can’t tell where the wings should be, and I’ve never skinned anything myself anyway.

I’m slowly building an RAF campaign that spans the war and beyond with the battle of France (done), battle of Britain (started), battle of Malta 1941 (done and on M4T), Channel 1942 (started), Typhoons 1943 and 1944 (half finished) and a remake of Tempest wing which is already on M4T to finish it off. Total should be around 80 sorties.

This is a major distraction from my studies I know. I’m weak. :o

Try over at mission4today.

Had a look there already Starfire. No luck. :frowning:

Haven’t looked at IL2 mods for some time, but Hurricane wing and Tempest fuselage might be right.

They built the first batch of Tempests with Typhoon fuselages - they had to include a step in the new wing spar to accommodate the wing changes - externally visible by a small faring near the wing root.

Ha, that sounds like a bit of a frankenplane Painter. Anyway the late war Tempest skin (which is actually by Kristorf) doesn’t look too bad because it eliminates the fuselage stripes and the underwing stripes were on Tiffies long before Normandy to identify them as not being FW190s. Strange I’ve never seen the resemblance.

Actually I think I may have been mistaken about using the later 1943 Typhoon because it seems the early model was still being widely used much later in the war. So perhaps 1943 only refers to it’s development. Hmm.

The whole idea was to produce a relatively generic RAF fighter career similar to the original IL2 campaigns but I can’t help getting caught up in details.

Modworld is irritatingly non uniform as well because the ‘George Cross Island’ campaign that I posted on M4T is now unuseable with UP3 because the trop Hurricanes have disappeared and the squadrons have been rearranged too I think. Also I finished a battle of France campaign for number 1 squadron and the France map that I used is no longer included either so I have to completely restart that one. I’ll use the 352nd channel map and switch it to a different sqn. Number 3 probably. :rolleyes:

Has anyone got a lovely shiny silver generic RAF Gladiator skin that I could use for the intro mission? It’s just a pre Munich atmosphere building device showing the ‘finest flying club in the world’ before they had to slap brown paint on everything. I’d like bright silver dope with roundels only. It should probably be matt I know but I want the contrast between peacetime RAF and wartime to be slightly overstated.

I’ll start a seperate thread on the whole RAF grand campaign thing so that any ideas or discussion can be taken there. Hopefully there’ll be some interest and input in the thing to make it a better end product.

Whizz, this any good?

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&file=details&id=5980

Splash

Those are lovely Splash. Great find. How the heck did I miss em? :smiley:

underwing stripes were on Tiffies long before Normandy

But at different spacings to the SHAEF (aka D-Day) markings, and they were removed some months before the Normandy invasion.
I can not double check ATM - my references are in the studio, not at home

Does your pilot have to stay with the same squadron throughout his career?
End of tour … break for other duties … next tour was usually with a different squadron (though often on a related type)

Hi Painter. Agreed about the spacing, but it’s all I’ve got at the moment. As for staying with same squadron, definitely not. I was thinking more along the lines of various biographies that I’ve read where a pilot might be promoted and moved to another squadron or even theatre during a single tour. Of course from one tour to the next there’ll almost certainly be a change of scene.

Part one Gladiator/Hurricane: 3 squadron maybe? Already did a number 1 version but obsolete thanks to UP3.

Part two possibly 602 Squadron Spitfires at Westhampnett or might stick with Hurricane.

Part three. 261 Squadron Hurricanes over Malta 1941

Part Four. Channel front 1942 Spitfire V squadron.

Part Five. 609 Squadron Typhoons 1943-44

Part Six. Tempest Wing at Volkel 1944-45

I’m open to ideas and could be persauded to change this of course, but quite a bit of work’s been done already.

If the work is done, I wouldn’t change it, that’s a plausible career.

If starting from scratch, I’d think about Part four - maybe Hurricanes in a ground attack role, which would lead naturally to part 5 - Typhoon in ground attack.
Part 6 (Tempest) should return to Air superiority, except late in the war, when bombs can be used again.
(While cleared for them, the Tempest never used rockets in the war - and few Tempest squadrons were even trained for bombs)

HTH

Thanks Painter. Good input. The Tempest bit’s been done a few years ago and you can have a look if you want on M4T. I was thinking about updating it though, at least the earlier part, which I’d replace with part 2 of the Typhoon section. Hurricanes doing ground attack idea I quite like, but might be a bit repetitive. I know you’re a keen ground attacker ;). Some spit squadrons re-equipped with Tyhoons, 609 being the perfect example so there’s a lead in from spits to tiffies as well.

I’m determined to finish the Typhoon part just now. I’ve started lots of campaigns over the past few years then binned them out of frustration or neglect.