Typhoon Night Intruder Mission

I’ve uploaded a mission to M4T about Roland Beamont taking a Typhoon on an intruder mission:

Full details here

Hope you enjoy it.

WB.

Is there a Typhoon in game?
Must be 'cause that’s a Tempest in the piccie - so which game version?

hmm LO? Which squadron

It’s Ranwers Typhoon mod Painter. Bit of a ‘frankenplane’ but good enough in the absence of the real deal.

LO because I had to use an in game sqn because 609Sqn (Beamont was OC 609 at the time) is not represented in IL2. I thought 602 was a good one to use because it’s close to 609! and its EAF of course.:slight_smile:

I made it using a AAAUI install with canons BoB map. I don’t see why it shouldn’t work with the Ultrapack as long as Canons Map and Ranwers Typhoon are included. I’ll test this out over the next few days.

Let me know how you get on if you try it out.

Regards,

WB.

Painter, I’m interested to see why you think the pic above shows a Tempest?

The pics below show the ingame Tempest and Typhoon - I think they’ve done a good job.

From the net:

Incidentally, shooting up/rocketing grounds targets in the Tiffie is great fun.

Regards,

WB.

shooting up/rocketing grounds targets in the Tiffie is great fun.

Please don’t forget the early and late activity at the river Meuse WB where the Germans are pushing into and then out of er, the bit that we’re defending, the bridges over the Meuse. For coops I mean and low-level rocketing of the Panzers. The map for that is one that Classic has been developing for an upcoming war, gorgeous

Sorry to be high maintenance! :slight_smile:

Ming

Sorry Ming, not too familiar with the Meuse river battles. I’m aware of the Battle of France period to a certain degree but then the Tiffy wouldn’t have been available!

I presume you’re referring to latter battles, post D-Day? Got any good links for info?

Cheers,

WB.

It was a typo … typing too quickly.

BTW, the first Tempests used Typhoon fuselages… they had to crank the wing spars to fit them properly

That’s it WB, when the Allies were pushing the Germans back into Germany ws when the Typhoon was very active I think (not a WW2 buff sorry) - hitting fuel dumps and lines of retreating armour units

Operational Service September 1941 - 1947

It was put to good use against German trains and Armor, and Typhoons claimed a record number of 135 German tanks on a single day in August 1944

September 18, 1944

German troops arrived at Oosterbeek and attack the British landing zones where there is a stalemate with either side moving very far. At Arnhem the British 1st attempts to rush the other end of the bridge but are driven back. Later the German troops attempted to drive trucks full of troops across the bridge but Bren guns and flamethrowers stop the trucks from reaching the other side of the bridge. German attacks continue throughout the night attempting to push the 2st airborne out of the landing zones. The British defenders hold the landing zones and force the Germans back. At 0930 SS troops attempted to drive the “lightly” armed paratroopers off of the bridge by charging across in halftracks and armored cars. With a working radio the British were able to call air burst shells in from artillery at the drop zones over the bridge destroying the armored cars. What the artillery did not get the automatic weapons and flamethrowers did. As XXX corps attempts to move out towards Eidhoven heavy fog forces them to wait for 2 hours before moving out. Just after starting to move out the lead elements of the Irish Guards runs into four German 8.8 cm Flak guns and several machine guns. The Guards attempt to call in air strikes but the Typhoon fighter/bombers are fogged in at there bases. After four hours of heavy fighting a scout unit finally makes its way behind the German positions and takes out the guns. The corps is 32 miles from Arnhem and the Son bridge is blown in its path to Arnhem. At Nijmegen the 82nd Airborne has captured bridges at Grave, Honihghutie and Heuman but is still fighting for the Nijmegen bridge. Out numbered five to one the 82nd repulses attack after attack on the landing zones. Massive resupply operations begin and the 101st and 82nd recover most of there supplies while the British 1st airborne is pinned down and can only recover some to the supplies.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Bridge/4745/WorldWarTwoHistory/MarketGarden.html

30/08/1944 The U.S. 3rd Army, whose 4th Armored Division is already at Troyes is ordered to continue East until the tanks run dry and from that point, to advance on foot, in order to get across the Meuse river.
31/08/1944 The British 11th Armoured Division captures Amiens and take the German bridge across the Somme in surprise attack. Montpellier, Beziers, Narbonne and Nice all taken. The U.S. Third Army reaches the river Meuse.

01/09/1944 The British XII Corps crosses the Somme and the Canadians liberate Dieppe. American troops of Patton’s Third Army take Verdun. American troops start their attack to capture the strategic port city of Brest which the Germans have turned into a fortress.
02/09/1944 The allies cross into Belgium.
03/09/1944 The British Second Army liberates Brussels. The U.S. First Army takes Tournai. French and U.S. forces enter Lyons. Field Marshal von Rundstedt assumes command of the German armies in the West.
04/09/1944 The British 11th Armoured Division takes Antwerp and the docks undamaged.
05/09/1944 The U.S. 3rd Army crosses the Meuse as the British reach Ghent.
06/09/1944 The Canadians surround Calais, trapping the German garrison. Liege falls to British troops, while the U.S. First Army pushes East through Belgium, crossing Meuse. Ghent and Courtrai are liberated.
07/09/1944 The British 11th Armoured Division crosses the Albert Canal, to the East of Antwerp. The U.S. Third Army crosses the Moselle. U.S. 9th Air Force fighters, supporting elements of the U.S. 7th Army in southern France, destroy an estimated 500 German vehicles along a 25km section of road. Germany’s armoured forces have been shattered along the western front. German Army Group B has only about a hundred operational tanks.
08/09/1944 Canadians take Ostend, while the U.S. First Army take Liege, just 20 miles from the German border.
09/09/1944 General de Gaulle forms a provisional French government that includes Communists.
10/09/1944 Eisenhower agrees to Monty’s airborne plan Operation ‘Market Garden’. U.S. troops enter Luxembourg. The first allied patrol crosses German frontier east of Liege, near Aachen. US First Army occupies Luxembourg.
11/09/1944 The 15th Scottish Division crosses the Dutch border, east of Antwerp. A bridgehead is established across Meuse-Escaut canal. The U.S. Third Army captures a large part of Maginot Line intact and reach the German border at Trier on the Moselle river. The 1st French Division occupies Dijon.
http://www.worldwar-2.net/timelines/war-in-europe/western-europe/western-europe-index-1944.htm

(Meuse-area activity)

Not sure that’ll be any use WB, sorry if not mate- I’m keen on beautiful and atmospheric missions and the Meuse map looks very nice and crinkly, I’ve got it backwards really by starting with a map rather than a plane, hoping the Tiffie can fit in there somewhere she deserves a run-out :slight_smile:

Ming