Trouble with BIOS flash

Bios flash results in permanent reboot loop after first windows start. :mad:

Help please :slight_smile:

I have tried three updated BIOS’ now and this is the procedure I go through

1 - burn BIOS file with appropriate name onto a cd-rom (no floppy drive here)
2 - reboot computer and enter BIOS setup - reset to default values
3 - reboot again but this time press ALT+F2 to enter the flash utility
4 - Utility automatically scans floppy and CD-Rom and finds the BIOS
5 - Utility deletes the old BIOS and flashes the new BIOS
6 - PC reboots - asks to either enter setup or load defaults, I load defaults.
7 - Windows starts perfectly - into windows and everything functions
8 - Load up ASUS utility to check the BIOS version and the new BIOS is confirmed as loaded - also evident on the BIOS post screen of course.

9 - Reboot the machine - for any reason and after going through the post screen at the point when I would normally have the Windows XP flash screen popup instead I see a blue screen for about a milisecond and the pc reboots, is then stuck in a loop repeating the blue screen. The only way around it has been either enter safe mode, use the flash utility and again load the new bios which works fine for one windows startup but upon reboot its borked again.

Anyone got any ideas?

BUGGER!!!

Just update to 1405 BIOS and as usual the first windows run went fine, second windows run crashed on loading so re-flashed the BIOS with the 1405 and again got into windows. Second re-entry burnt up :frowning:

Thoroughly cheesed off I thought sod it, reload the default bios and leave it alone. Only now I get the blue screen reboot cycle with the old bios as well :eek:

Looks like its a windows rebuild to me as the windows display pops up just a nano second before the blue screen and reboot.

Windows 7 RC main system here I come

Whilst we are on the subject can anyone recomend a suitable replacement for a pair of SLi 7900GTX OC 512mb cards? I do not want to spend lots of cash as this is very soon going to become my reserve PC but the two 7900GTXs produce a lot of heat so I would like a single card solution with equal performance for IL2. Any ideas?

I see a blue screen

So it’s a hardware problem

…for about a milisecond and the pc reboots, is then stuck in a loop repeating the blue screen. The only way around it has been either enter safe mode, use the flash utility and again load the new bios which works fine for one windows startup but upon reboot its borked again.

Perhaps you’re getting hung up on having this latest BIOS Classic. Why are you updating your BIOS in the first place? There will be tough-sounding questions sorry mate

If you’ve updated BIOS to fix a problem, what was the problem?

Case study to give you confidence I hope. I had to downdate my BIOS four versions to get a graphics card running on my last (EVGA 680i SLI). Under another BIOS I had to move the graphics card from one slot to another as BIOS couldn’t handle it in another slot. And so on. You may be overlooking something very simple to fix once you get into a stalemate with the kit you’re working on

Whatever BIOS you were running when it was all working ok, stick that back in again - you seem to be happy now about programming (re-programming) your BIOS so you might have a bash at that

Then check the user forums to find people who’ve had similar problems with this motherboard, see if you can get advice from motherboard-user forums. Most problems we see have been sorted out by someone already

But in the meantime as an experiment, have only one stick of RAM in the first slot. Take off all hardware you do not absolutely need to boot up. Check BIOS to see if you can run it with simpler settings, in case defaults weren’t set when you thought they were. Pop the battery out and give the smoothing capacitors time to discharge, minute or two- then pop it in again. The BIOS chip is an EEPROM so it’s fully reset when it loses its maintaining voltage. There might be a little jumper in there near the battery that you can short-out with pliers to discharge any remaining holding-voltage. When you’ve done this but you still have problems, you need to go back to an earlier BIOS and possibly contact tech-support as of course it’s possible the machine may have developed a fault (static discharge etc) while you’ve been working

It’s not one of my mobos is it btw? Not that one I mention above I hope :slight_smile:

Ming

Get one 9800gt mate, half the heat and as much ‘umphh’

Push comes to shove I have an 8800gts sitting on a shelf

The BIOS update is because I am on a prehistoric 0703 BIOS the latest is 1409 (BETA) but the version I want is at least 1205 which adds better support for 7900GTX cards, hence the upgrade.

However I have just put a fresh HDD in and then flashed the bios to the required 1205 and then proceeeded to install Win7 RC 64-bit. Touchwood and it all seems to be working :o

Thanks Kris will look for prices

Hello from Windows 7 64-bit :smiley:

Hello from Windows 7 64-bit

Hope to be joining you there, mate. Any hard-won experience and recommendations greatfully received :slight_smile:

Reading this thread I feel like the apes at the beginning of 2001 :smiley:

I feel like the apes at the beginning of 2001

Throw me a bone here

Hello Classic from dual-boot Vista x64/Win7RC. Lifeboat option laddie :slight_smile:

Ming

erm Ming, which ones the lifeboat ???:roflmao:

lol Sporran :slight_smile:

Well in my case Vista as the titanic Win7RC got into trouble on installing then uninstalling the GTA4 iceberg and er, something else. It’s a release candidate, it’s expected. Repair worked off the ISO but I’m a bit nervous of trusting it until it goes gold, one would only have you to blame. I mean oneself :slight_smile:

Ming

Well taken Ming old chap !

Giving some serious thought to purchasing Windows 7 once it goes gold myself.

Sporran