Thinking about building a mini ITX system

Based on this article:

http://www.techbuyersguru.com/miniITX.php

Only I would use a cheaper GFX, or use my old one if I can bring it from Spain

Any suggestion, idea etc?

TIA

What are you going to use it for, Nepe??? Media server/dedicated server??

If it’s for flying, is there a reason/need behind the mini form factor vs Desktop??

My next PC will go down that route.

Now that M-ITX can accept high end CPU and GPU I’m tempted.
For years I’ve run large cases full of water cooling. I want my next PC to be compact while packing a punch.
I’ve seen some nice setups lately. That have me thinking of going down that road.

I’m going to test it out on a HTPC in a month or so.
If that works out OK then my next gaming PC will be mITX. Maybe even watercooled too.

BitFenix are doing some nice M-ITX cases, while not really small cases compared to other mITX.
They are a lot smaller than my usual case and it’s suprising what you can fit in there.

Keets, the same reasons as Brigstock, I’m tired of big cases, and I plan on taking it with me in 1 year when I return to Spain. I will use it as I did with my desktop PC, for gaming and all other things.

I don’t need lots of internal space, I don’t even need a DVD unit, I want it small and powerful.

Now that mini itx can take a full size gpu and power unit I’m sold.

Interesting.

I’m not space restricted, but surely these only save 30cm on height and double up on width…? That said I have a Buffalo NAS, which is tiny, that I use as a media server and backup storage to my main pC, this means I don’t need all that space for HD’s… Hmmmmm.

On a separate note.

when I return to Spain.

Have you had to move from Spain??? Apologies if I missed it, I thought you’d moved up North. Hope you are both well.

Yes I’m fine, thanks Simon. Intel called me to work one year in Dublin, arrived last Wednesday.

I left my PC in Spain, too big and ugly, a black monster I hate

Hey Nepe,

Just thought to pass my experience with small cases.

If not in any special need (like living room esthetics HTPC or similar), avoid small cases at all cost. I’ve got lots of hardware (work as developer in big company and own small one myself, surrounded by all sorts of servers, clients, gaming and htpc rigs you can imagine). Small cases are always nothing but trouble in my experience.

With that said, I will never ever own small PC case ever again. There are quite nice aluminum big tower cases for anyone taste from kiddo glowing r0x0zs ones, to great class and style ones. Or even wooden cases, as long as they are big enough for creating good airflow in then while keeping them low on noise.

Few examples of things that go with mine ‘all in wood and warm colors appartment’:
Example_1
Example_2

For aluminum or steel ones you have quite a lot choices…

Now even if you go all in with water cooling (my preference no matter if you do not overclock) you still want big tower where you can make really neat cabeling, easy to reach and clean all fans and heat sinks and finally, they are easier to make less noisy as they are cooler to start with due to bigger air volume.

Like I said, if you don’t have special need for saving space, just avoid small PC cases.

One more thing to consider for those that really have to go along with design, AllInOne solutions with wireless peripherals are much nicer and are getting quite powerful and affordable now a days. Those really look class if looks are important (i’ve bought one for my father in law work room recently, he’s delighted how it looks and performs).

If you still wish to stick to small cubic ones, good luck, hope you got less hassle then I did (they are only cute while brand new and clean :)).

S!

Hi Nepe

…just my two cents on the matter.

I went from full size to medium size to a mATX. I am quite sure I will end up in a iATX.
It all depends on your needs. In my case I found that I went to more and more LAN parties.
As the LAN parties lost their attraction I have continued my path toward smaller and smaller cases because I have access to a NAS box and several CLOUD storage solutions.
If you store you stuff away from your PC and install your PC with and USB dongle; Then the mATX/iTX is the way to go if you are just an occasional gamer BUT…most ITX solutions are not meant to be running continuously at high performance so cooling will becomes an issue. The other limit is your VGA card. I ended up in mATX tower simply because of my VGA card. If you choose cards that are top of the line, like the AMD 7970 was, you space requirements will dictate the chassis size. In your case you might end up in a ultra flat desktop chassi/Media Center chassi in order to get enough cooling and space for a decent VGA card (installed with a riser card).
When it comes to the Intel NUC form factor I feel both temted, but I doubt that they will be able to run 3½ hours straight at 90-100% without problems.
But I will recommend that you read some reviews at Anantec (http://www.anandtech.com/)

Thanks very much for the input guys.

Today has been my first workday in Intel, and looks like I get some nice advantages…like good prices on their HW :smiley: An i5-4670 for 120$, for example.

So my next build will depend on th HW I can get from them. Pity they don’t make graphic cards.

Why not choose a powerful notebook instead a mITX? If the matter is transport the machine from Ireland to Spain and vicecersa I think it is better

because if I want to fly with you guys I dont think any notebook is powerful enough. My companie will provid me with a laptop, now I need soemthing with a good graphic card

I was about to say something about employee discount when you mentioned Intel. :wink:

I don’t really have anything to add when it comes to mini systems, but when it comes to laptops it’s probably possible to buy a decent gaming computer, but getting to the level of a mid-price (i5-4670 based) desktop will probably cost a lot, and it will never be able to reach the levels of a full blown, pedal to the metal, build.

Congrats on the new job Nepe!
I hope you like Ireland and all the Guinness you can drink. :ani_beer: