Stick key press gets corrupt

Thank you but it was not HOTAS programming that failed, it was IL2 game that went berserk. I did not touch default game keys, just programmed HOTAS to use them as they are and yet game did not accept normal key commands from HOTAS or keyboard, including very much needed ‘G’, after switching from game to desktop and back.

Many other keys were not responding either and I find this quite odd but it is not the first time it happened when I was swapping focus between game and some apps. If anyone knows exactly what is causing this and how to avoid it, I’d be very grateful for that information. Because, as it is now, I can fly normal as long as I don’t minimize game. It’s not a game breaker bug, but still kind of sucks considering you frequently need to check some messages and similar while game is already up.

Cy

Scope
This document is made for those of you with low-level programmable controllers.
To the best of my knowledge the following products:
• Thrustmaster Cougar, TM Warthog
• CH series
• Saitek Flight series

I have also tried to simplify a bit which some Warthog owners with script-skill can see.
Over the years, I have been programming Thrustmaster F22, TM TQS, TM Cougar and now the TM Warthog.

Symptom (Problem):
Buttons pressed on controller will result in:
• no response in the sim
• Wrong response in the sim
• Wrong response in the controller test program

The problems usually start after the user have been tabulating (shifting) between sim and other programs, like TeamSpeak.

Reasons?

1. Unfinished key press from the controller
  2. Stuck key

Unfinished key presses - Explained
Due to the lack of available keys for our sims we often have to combine several keys in order to generate a simple key press.
Such a combination can look like this:

Like Ctrl+Shift+u. Such a command consist of :

‘Ctrl’ key pressed down -> ‘Shift’ key pressed down -> ‘u’ key pressed down -> ‘u’ key released -> ‘shift’ key released -> ‘Ctrl’ key released

If such a command stops after enabling the CTRL or SHIFT it might have catastrophic consequences on all other key presses weather it has been done by a controller key press or by pressing a key on the keyboard, because all future key press will be corrupt due to corruption of the keyboard buffer.
The only solution I know are usually a reboot. Something you don’t want to do In the middle of a SEOW mission ;-(

Solution (Thrustmaster Target)
Solution in Thrustmasters Target software it would look like this:

[i]L_CTL+SHIFT+’u’[/i]

This command will be vulnerable to interruption and will be keep generating key presses as long as it is pressed.

To protect it from interruption Thrustmaster packs it in like this:

[i]LOCK+L_CTL+SHIFT+’u’+LOCK[/i]

The LOCK command prevents any other key press before all are in the buffer.
But I am quite sure CH products have a similar function or use of brackets ()[].

Stuck Key
CH and TM might do it differently. In TM software a controller which press ‘u’ will generate ‘u’ as long as the key is pressed. Example: “‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’‘u’”

Solution - TM Target
If a single ‘standard ‘key pressed it desired, the TM have added the command “PULSE+

In the old days, the TM programmer had to control it by counting the amount of mili-second.

Cyclops what is your setup?

with my Ch pro throttle i never felt this problem!
i can even start il2 alt tab out start ch software and then get back in il2 with everything working…

I’ve got CH combat setup (Fighterstick, Pro throttle and pedals). Planing to add quadrant to all that at some point since CH gear lacks some more analog axis, even tho I really like it a lot overall and CH got another fanboi right here regardless of oldish design and lack of some new stuff like split throttle lever and alike.

Problem only occurs with IL2:1946, never happens in other games I used so far (ROF, COD tested very short but tried swapping apps and it never fails, ARMA3, BF4…all work perfect when alt-tabbing). But this needs to be tested more, it could be I just did not play them enough to see it happen.

It is also important to mention that when this happens, if I go to notepad or CH test keys software, I still get normal key presses. In IL2, nothing happens, not even if I press same key on the keyboard (was G and R in this case that did not work from simle keys, and many of combinations used by game did not work, like reset trims that use SHIFT or CTRL + some key).

So some mix of my OS (Win8.1), drivers, software and hardware seems to dislike il2:1946 loosing focus.

Upon some more testing, most troubles seem to be caused by buttons that include SHIFT+key (not CH shift to double button functions, but keyboard shift).

It’s just odd that everything works normal as long as game never loose focus after starting it, if it does, it’s a gamble since this does not occur every time, making it even harder to pinpoint the issue. This kind of stinks on new OS + old game and somewhat oldish hardware = silly problems that go into bad luck and deal with it category :slight_smile: