Ssd

Was looking at Win 7 at the overclockers site and noticed this SSD for sale
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-018-CR

Prices are coming down

Small question, I was going to build a new PC but no funds at the moment, if I buy Wins 7 & and have a dual boot can I still use the Wins 7 on my new build later this year?

Stevie

It depends if you want to be worried about being in breach of the EULA.

I’m guessing you’ll buy an OEM version of Win 7?? If so, it’s supposed to be tied to one specific machine its first installed on.

A full license allows you to re-install if you upgrade H/W.

I doubt Microsoft will come after you for breach of license, you’re small fry, so you should be ok. (Don’t blame me though :slight_smile: )

On the SSD, I’d look at giving yourself more headroom. 32GB is f all in todays OS. It depends on what your objective us, but I’d say 120GB minimum.

It depends if you want to be worried about being in breach of the EULA.

Lol been in breach for most things anyway one more wont matter:roflmao:

And yes Keet’s it will be OEM

Looks like a dual boot:D

A big +1 on Keets suggestion to get something bigger! Not only will you have enough room for the OS and important programs (games that is!), but you will also get better performance from it! Absolute minimum 120Gb, but bigger IS better, but at the moment the 120Gb drives are at a very good price/performance point (at least in Sweden), big ones tend to be quite a lot more expensive.

Red a 240 Gb SSD for £100 + free postage.

Cheers Charlie

Will keep that in mind when I get some dosh together:D

Stevie

I have that one and I bought it for 200 pounds. Good price! Good SSD!

Okaydokay

If I bought a ssd put in my existing PC and installed windows 7 on it, then put the ssd in my new build that would be ok license wise for Win 7:D]

Stevie

As per my original point, if its an OEM version you are against the EULA, so no you are not in the clear.

However, it will work/enable just fine.

The unwritten of what I’m saying is, you’ll be fine, as the chance of a recovery suit is v small.

Red when I posted that link to the ssd this morning it said 100 quid and only 4 left in stock…I literally just got in from work and they now have 494 in stock…and the price has dropped to £89.99 !!

Get yer skates on m8 :slight_smile:

It’s a good price, but for me I’d check the spec.

The access time is 300mb/s, higher end SSD’s are at 500mb/s. its still good, but goes back to what I was saying around why are you hoping to achieve with an SSD.

Now that’s a great price! Even though it’s “only” a SATA-II it will be so much faster then any old style HDD you’ve ever tried…

I disagree. :wink:

SATA II transfer rate is 3Gbits/s or 300MB/s.

This SSD is: (drum roll) 300MB/s… So the same as SATA II hard disk.

If it was me, I’d look at what you want to do - if it’s faster access, go for a faster SSD. If your not bothered about speed, then why are you going for an SSD??? If you want SATA II access speed, go for a cheaper 1 TB hard disk.

I recently put an SSD in Mrs Keets PC with the OS only, the reason was that she had a habit of leaving her PC on and then powering down via the plug. :o

It was slightly faster, but what I was looking for wasn’t that. I know she can’t knacker the OS if she powers off this way.

So, back to my point, what is your main objective for going to SSD??

But in reality no HDD comes even close to using the bus speed of SATA-II. Under perfect conditions a HDD might come close, but when reading small files here and there mixed with writing they will be slooow even compared with a “slow” SSD.

Agreed on the realities vs reported, but they also apply to SSD’s, RAM and CPU clock speeds. :slight_smile:

My point is that if the objective is for speed, I’d go for a better SSD with a better transfer rate, as I don’t believe the speed benefit of that particular SSD model would warrant a noticeable difference over a SATA II HD.

So, back to my point, what is your main objective for going to SSD??

The Main objective is for a faster loading times both O/S and games

Will have a look at the specs of some SSD’s

The access time is 300mb/s, higher end SSD’s are at 500mb/s.

Good point Keets wouldn’t of thought of that

Stevie

I dont know if this will help in putting things in laymans terms around speeds etc but here goes.

I have a Kingston 64Gb SATA 3 SSD. I still use WinXP and have used 40Gb of the drive with the OS and IL2 along with the usual stuff.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/290765-14-very-speeds

I think this link shows it to be a slow SSD but I tried this just now in an attempt to show how slow/fast it is.

From cold boot to ready to use took 38 seconds.

Loading HSFX6 with all the necessary mods for the SEOW took 18 seconds

Loading stock 4.11.1m took 11 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Charlie.

(Also only 2Gb ram on board)

P.S…No taking this piss outta me system…its the season of good will remember! :stuck_out_tongue: