Spotting planes

Hee you can find an offline mission to check how many contacts you can see with your settings…

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13915

personally i don’t use fov in cliff of dover but have assigned 2 keys to zoom in and out…
it’s a very smooth effect and works well. (Much better and immersive than jumping fron ine fov to the other…)

usually i fly zoomed out to have a wide view. In the thread it is said that wider views darkens dots.
so i think that wider views help me spot bandits better than others…

will test the mission when i have time!

Thx Jimmi

I can see 11, 12 if I stare very close to screen.

Decreasing rez from original 1920x1200 to 1280x800 has no effect in the number of dots I see, though those 11 are now bigger and more clearly visible.

Using 1680x1050 atm

Wow Jimmi what an important finding, many thanks!

Cheers Jimmi great find!! There is also some good ideas on improving your spotting in there. Turning AA has helped and I’m going to play around with my NV gamma setting in a bit.

EDIT - by dropping my gamma down, brightness up a bit, the bogies became darker so I could spot 12 and leaning closer to the monitor, which I wouldn’t do, I can see another 3 grey dots.

OK finally found the time to test it!

I can spot 12 and 2 more very very faint…

27 inch asus ips monitor
full HD (native resolution)
Ati Radeon 6970

from game config.ini

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=0
Render=D3D10_0
width=1920
height=1080
posLeft=0
posTop=0
ColourBits=32
FullScreen=1
ChangeScreenRes=1
Frequency=60
StereoMode=0

[core]
RandSeed = 0
TexQual=3
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=1
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
LandShading=2
LandDetails=2
Sky=3
Forest=4
VisibilityDistance=3
LandGeom=2
DrawCollisions=1
Water=-1
Effects=2
EffFlags.Light=1
EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
Grass=3
CordEffect=1
UseFog=0
UseLandCube=1
UseLandConnectedObject=1
LinearObjectManager=1
Roads=1
Sun=1
Clouds=1
EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
ShadowMapSize=5
TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
Decals=2
EffFlags.SWLight=0
TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
MegaTexture=0
TexFlags.Reflection=0
RenderTargetQual=3
MSAA=2
MeshStatics=2
MeshStaticsDetail=4
SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
MeshFirstLod=0
MeshShowLod=0
SpawnHumans=0
TexFlags.SSAO=0
TexFlags.VSync=1

Jimmi I know you spot really well, good eyes I guessing as my son spots better than I do. But something I read on the atag forum from the team fusion chaps was you can spot better if you turn off AA. Would be interesting to see if you see more.

Just done the test and I can spot 11 contacts: what I see is very similar to what Jimmi sees. But then the question persists: how come when I play I’m always blind compared to Jimmi or Rosso, for instance? :frowning:

Good question, its always the same for me. Im starting to thing its my eyes and not the settings.

i use a lot the zoom in/out to change FOV

different LOD models are loaded with different FOVs. Some are more visible than others…
so IMHO changing fov increase the change to spot contacts

Is the canopy reflections/glint still working or has it been toned down? I’ve watched YT vids where there seem to be lots of glints at distance, but last night didn’t seem to be any.

Has it been removed or is it dependent on sun position/season?

Mind has this -

MSAA=0
MeshStatics=1
MeshStaticsDetail=3

and is the only difference plus I’m using an NVidia card, I think the above might be an ATI thing.

Found this over at Battliefilds Forum

Don’t know if it helps but no harm in trying

EDIT 1 : forgot to add something else which makes a big difference in dot spotting : its a command inside the conf.ini. If you have the latest TF patch installed, then go to documents–>1C Soft Club–>IL2 Cliffs of dover MOD and locate the conf.ini. Scroll down and find the MeshShowLod command. By default its set to 0. Change it to 1. This forces the game to draw the dots earlier. (but it is a slight fps Killer). If your PC can take it, it will make a big difference in full real dogfights.

Stevie

Excellent. Cheers Red - I might try that and see if it makes a difference!

Finally i found again this thread…i’m really depressed for my “spotting planes” ability…well i need to read a lot a check my system! :smiley:

my Nvidia settings

Grazie Jimmi, I will have a look in the Nvidia panel.