Replica Spitfire Flying controls for sims

As some of you know I have been working on a replica Spifire control column, not just the spade grip, as I wanted to replicate the sensations of flying a real Spit, ie pitch axis on the floor and roll axis just above the knees. I made a protoype out of odd bits of tube and wood and designed a mechanism to operate the stub of a basic commercial joystick which I screwed to a board on the floor. My first test flight in DCS Spitfire was great. The column stayed in the position I left it (pitch and roll) so it was really easy to fly hands off.

Manoeuvres were far more controllable and precise. So I decided to go ahead with the project. The main issues were a) replacing the short joystick operating mechanism by electrical components placed at each axis and b) finding out how to make available the 10 buttons we use on our current gear.

Regarding the joystick I have decided to put all the axis components at the base of the column, so I have designed a bottom fitting which works much like the real thing with a mechanical “chain” link from the roll axis.

The Spitfire spade grip started life with a single button on the MkI. I have decided to model the MkIX controls which allows a two position “gun firing” switch, which could be programmed for any functions plus an addition “camera” button on a clip near the bottom of the grip. We need however at least 7 more including a POV/Hat switch. Looking at the MkIX throttle quadrant I noticed that a button was added to the throttle grip, so I decided to add a replica throttle quadrant to the system. This ended up being less simple than I thought as the quadrant will be functional, ie mixture control, throttle control with gate for wep, prop pitch control and working friction wheels. I have just managed after much hassle to integrate the electrical components for both throttle and pitch without altering the exterior aspect of the quadrant.

The remaining buttons will be functionally modelled into replica pitch & rudder trim wheels (I currently use my hat switch for this) and I will add a replica of the radio channel selector box, which sits just above the throttle quadrant, for the remaining buttons.

3D design work is finished on the control column and 90% on the throttle quadrant. I will use my father in-law’s 3D printer to make up the prototype for testing. All electrical components will initially come from my old joysticks, to ensure no issues from this aspect.

Testing of the prototype may mean making some design changes, so there is still some work ahead. If the prototype works out fine our little team would be in a position to make a limited number of sets for other pilots at a reasonable price. If interested let me know.

BTW having problems with pic upload. Have tried several times to upload pics in various formats (png, jpg), but can never see the image when clicking on link.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me or the forum but I can’t see the images :mad:

Looking forward to seeing the pre-production model! Sounds excellent!

Hi Topsy, I had a lot of trouble trying to add pictures to the forum. Could you email me the picture please?
H.Brades@petroc.ac.uk
Cheers Pinetree.

For pictures, read the Briefing room stickies subforum…

Hi Mikke,

Sorry for being a dummy but the only relevant post I saw was the one about ftp. I created a folder in xxxx/TOPSY and uploaded the two images, so you should now all be able to see them on the eaf server (www.europeanaf.org/shared/topsy) [You need to add the name of the file here. /Mikke]
SpitSimColumn.jpg Photo of control column, one used for DCS test.
Spitfire_MkIX_TQ_sim.jpg 3D Image of throttle quadrant

However I still don’t understand why the pics can’t been seen when adding them via the add file function in the forum ? Is it a pb of file size ? I don’t get any error messages when uploading. I’ve used this function before for other things and it worked fine.

Ah shite…I dont have access to the ftp lol

It’s a problem somewhere between the forum software and the database and/or the server settings (something I have no control over as it’s externally hosted).

If you send me the pictures and some blurb, Topsy, I can put them on the Wordpress site :slight_smile: Then everyone can see them.

or you can just use any free pics host like http://tinypic.com/ or https://postimage.io/

Just have to read all the instructions. :wink: (And I had to rotate and resize the top picture.)
Looking good btw!

Topsy has written a post for the blog site with details of the project :slight_smile:

I think it will generate quite a bit of attention, I’ll post it out in the usual places tomorrow with the additional post in the Home Cockpit Builders forum on Facebook.

Thanks to the communication and general enthusiasm about the project, if the prototype works OK I will already have to make up at least 6 extra sets. Something to keep me busy in my spare time instead of going down to my local for a beer ! ???

we’re getting more views per day than normal after a post as a result of the posts about the Spitfire controls and Oculus Touch. Getting around 50 views per day without any plugging; normally about 5 or 6 referred from other sites.

Topsy has written an update on progress:slight_smile:

Update :

This week we had a meeting with the 3D printing production team. Designs for the various elements were reviewed and a number of modifications were recommended to take into account some 3D printing constraints, notably increasing tolerances for moving parts and increasing minimal thicknesses here and there.

Looking ahead to a small production run we decided to use slightly larger potentiometers than the units I had originally planned, in order to increase reliability and ensure supply of parts. This involves some redesign of the throttle quadrant as the unit needs to house two potentiometers within a confined space (just over 1" deep) while keeping clear of moving parts. This makes for quite a puzzle !

The same goes for the rudder & elevator trim wheels, which will be positioned on a facsimile chain guard, and who both need a bit of redesign to ensure better rigidity.

We have decided to place the brake lever potentiometer on the brake lever axis, rather than placing it at the foot of the control column with a mechanical link. This again means some modification to the initial spade grip design, but for this as with all the other elements, the challenge is to incorporate the electronic elements with minimal changes to external appearance.

This unfortunately means that prototype building and testing has to be put back for a few weeks while I redesign the units before they can be printed.

From the esthetic point of view, last week I added recessed lettering to the various items such as “FUEL CUTOFF”, “THROTTLE”, “AIRSCREW CONTROL” to the appropriate levers, details on the VHF radio remote control unit identification plaque and to the front panel with the annotations for the buttons and switches, as well as labels for the trim wheels. I will post some updated pics later.