New Rig fine tuning

Ok new rig arrived:

i7 overcloked @4.00ghz
8gb ram
Shappire radeon 6970

So far i’m happy with the result in il2 and Cod but:

in il2 i had really really high fps but with some occasional stutters on mc200vsTomahawk hsfx server. Plus turning the head with tir i see vertical lines got broken.
I thin it’s vsync… How do i activate it? (i should have fps drops but i don’t care much if it keeps smooth)
i’m not used to catalyst control panel. (is there a way to save actual settings if i mess something up?)

in this thread they suggest to not use vysinc with ati but i found broken lines very annoyng…
Do you think i can use the other suggested tips?
http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php?topic=2.0

Cod in fast mission seems stable and smooth…
how to chek fps?
one problem looking a track at a certain point thegarman markings instead of black started to glare yellow/orange :eek: was very wierd…
But this didn’t happen in normal game so far…

Congrats on the new RIG Jimmi. But I have a GTX 560Ti by Nvidia and I don’t have any of the problems you explain. I think Starfire and Mikke have ATI cards so perhaps they can help?

I updated to the HD7970 last week and quality in IL are suffering a lot from my GTX260. I have lots of random artifatcs and tearing.
I have had ATI before so I attribute some of this to bad drivers for the 7970.
I need to fix the Vsysnc as well. In theory it should improve.

Cliffs of Dover
FPS can be measure by editing the “rcu” file.

Path:
C:\Users&gt;>>username<<<\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

Right click on the file “rcu
and
Open using Notepad

Write the following:

@a aa fps SHOW START

@a ab fps HIDE STOP

aa

Ty mate!!!

Hai tolto il filtro anti-epilessia?

You can use Fraps also, it is free, light and useful.

no come si fa?

Ty Paolo will dl it!

Opzioni > Video > Togli la spunta a filtro anti-epilessia

Hey m8, you got the new Ati HD7970 3gb?..it’s a monster card right? pls post comment on it…I’m seduced by that lady:D

The ‘Lady’ as you call her is a beast. I dare call her a tramp. In more ways than one. The size is similar to a nVidia GTX series card. It is huge. I have chosen a reference design since I have a small case and are not fond of VGA cards dumping heat inside my case leaving the job of getting rid of the heat to case fans.
This makes it a bit more noisy. It is more noisy than the GTX260.
When I researched for a new card I had to be sure that it could run three or more screens without SLI/Crossfire. When I had the nvidia I had to run one of the monitors of the motherboard and this gave a lot of complications. Since the monitors are of different sizes they can’t be used for gaming but they are really helpful for office work/ writing job applications. So basically my games are run on the main monitor on a 1600x1200.

Back to the HD7970 card.
The performance are a vast on me. I play DCS A-10, Black Shark, Left4Dead, IL2 and Cliffs’ of Dover.
Only Cliffs of Dover seems to challenge the card. On max settings with vertical sync, 2xAA, SSAO I get below 45 FPS. It is not uncommon for me to get in the mid 20’s on the ground but disabling the mirror gives a major increase in FPS. In ordinary flying the graphics seems smooth but flying over London does seems to strain the card; I get some stutter due to low frames.
All this are done at 1600x1200 but with the other two monitors on displaying pilot notes.

In IL-2 it is a joke. The card are barely doing any work in and initially performance seems to be really bad. I get artifacts, grainy image and shimmering landscape. I have been fine-tuning the Conf.ini which have improved it a lot but nvidia are clearly still miles ahead in OpenGL drivers. I knew it was so in the old days but I had hoped that ATI had got their act together which is clearly not the case.

The best part right now are the power consumption in idle and sleep mode since I use my pc as home entertaiments systesm.

:smiley: got it …and you still are not using good drivers…I mean you should achieve soon an extra 10-15% improvement:eek:

I should but driver updates does not seem to work like Nvidia. With the Nvidia I could run the new driver package and it would overwrite the old. With my ATI it says successfully installed but the driver numbers are the old ones :frowning:
That is not what I call successfull :rolleyes:

Might be that they have changed other things then the driver itself.

With Ati, I reccomend always to disinstall old catalyst and reinstall new ones,:slight_smile: