Networking - How to host

Collating all the posts on how to setup a router for hosting as well as other bits.

Assumptions:
Local Subnet: 192.168.0.x
if your router uses a different subnet e.g. 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x replace the first three octets in the examples below.

Router IP: 192.168.0.1
Client/IL2 PC: 192.168.0.2

Steps:

1. Setup a static IP for your flying PC
  2. Set Port 21000 (Port forwarding) to your Static IP

Step 1) To setup a Static IP address

Most routers will have DHCP set as default, so when you plug a device into it, it sends out an IP address to that device.

To get port forwarding to work, you need a static IP to send the packets to.

You need to look at your network connections on your PC.

Windows Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

This should show you the Local Area Connection in the list of connections.

Right click the Local Area connection and select Properties.

This will open the Connection Properties dialog box. In the dropdown list, select Internet Protocl TCP/IP. Highlight it and click properties.

You should be presented with a window that has two radio buttons one that says “Obtain IP address Automatically”.

You want to put the first to “Use the following IP Address”. (This will also change the second one below it)

Enter the following under the first set of boxes:
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Enter the following under the second set:
Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Then click ok.

Your PC should now have a static IP of 192.168.0.2

Step 2) Set Port 21000 (Port forwarding) to your Static IP

Different Routers have different ways to do this. Some you just have to setup Port Forwarding, others you have to set a specific service for the firewall to do this.

Go Here and see if your router is listed.

Select your router, then IL2 in the apps list and follow the instructions. Use the IP address you used in Step 1) above.

Download UDP Test Tool

You can test Port forwarding is working by putting your WAN/Internet IP in the remote IP address, with Port 21000. Bind your local IP 192.168.0.1 and Port 21000 and click send.

Cheers Keets.

I have to bite the bullet finally and get a wireless router for the kid’s laptop, and the Wii. This is an excellent starter for ten (.0.0.0)

I am sure Keets will agree, with this … go for Netgear stuff :wink:
Keets and Brigs helped me to learn the basics and got me going, and my netgear wireless router serves my PC wired, and the Xbox360 and Wifes lappie wireless and I have never had a problem, superb wireless kit :ani_head:

i can,t get any further than the part where it say,s open an internet browser and type in the ip addy ,i don’t get the box it says i should , any ideas keets ?:confused:

Have you got a router Alan or just a modem?
If you have a router, what make?
Netgear use 192.168.0.1
Linksys use 192.168.1.1
Try either of those to get to the router admin pages.

If you get to the admin pages using 192.168.1.1

Then set a static ip on your network card 192.168.1.2 ,it needn’t be this IP, it just needs to be the IP that you have used to port forward, using instructions in Step 2 above. For this example we’re using 192.168.1.2

hi brigs , it’s a bt voyager 2110 router

Here you are Alan

Full instructions for the 2110 and IL2

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2110/IL-2.htm

When it comes to setting up the port forward don’t forget to put in the internal host IP 192.168.1.2

Then

Set up your PC with a static IP of 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1 and a DNS entry of 192.168.1.1

ok i think i’ve got it , just need to test it in hl :slight_smile:

buggers , it’s not working :confused: i hate put:( ers

Turn off Windows firewall

how do i do that brigs ?

back to step1
"You need to look at your network connections on your PC.

Windows Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

This should show you the Local Area Connection in the list of connections.

Right click the Local Area connection and select Properties.

This will open the Connection Properties dialog box"

Once there you are presented with 3 tabs
Click on “advanced” then “settings”
That is where you can disable the windows firewall

:smiley: I bought the Belkin F5D7230-4 (I just couldn’t afford Netgear) and all is now working, apparantly. After a successful connection with TonyR with my IL2 PC, my second PC on the Internet, and the Wii on the wireless connection.

Keets, that’s a great site at
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm which was almost perfect, except it said use TCP which didn’t work. I changed to UDP and all was OK.

Oh, as for static IP’s, I tried it on DHCP first to see if it would work. According to to the router config, my IL2 PC has been given an IP address by DHCP with a lease time of ‘forever’. Will this cause any problems? I’m of the school of “if it ain’t broke, don’t poke your grubby fingers in”.

It depends. The lease will expire when you power off the router. :slight_smile:

If you plugged another IP device (e.g PC or Printer) into the router, depending on when you switch the router on and the IP device, you may get the other PC obtaining the IP address you’re expecting for your IL2 PC.

If that happens, you do step 1 above. :slight_smile:

Can this thread be stickied pls

I have a Sky Sagemcom but cannot work out the model for the Port Forwarding proceedure, anyone know what the model might be?

Also, I power down the whole setup when I finish. Will that undo all the settings?

No to the second question, you save it to its internal memory through the router’s menu. Reseting a router back to defaults usually involves pressing and holding a recessed button (usually with a pencil :)) until the lights start to flash.

Marsh, are you trying to host ROF missions, if so here’s some useful stuff I found surfing.
http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=347&t=835&start=40

Thanks mate, was trying to go through the instructions this weekend, but I could not seem to find the router forwarding address bit. Should have some time on Tuesday during the day

No chance of it messing up the internet, is here? Wife would kill me…:smiley:

If it goes 'orrible just reset it, saying that all you trying to do is open a couple of ports through your firewall&router.
Check google again for hosting with your modem in general, with a Sky router there must be loads of info about it.

Have you found your Sagem router on portforward.com?

Doing a quick google search, they currently use the 2504. Here’s the page settings for il2 for that router

Does that look familiar??