Mosi, History Channel

Its on repeat today, an hour program about the mosi, one fact i didnt know was that because the mosi was so fast and maneuverable german pilots got 2kills for shooting down 1 mosi:eek: :smiley:

I may be wrong but I think they had a peculiar system for air kills. I’m sure they only ever got awarded a kill for a total kill, if two pilots damaged an aircraft between them and it went down then neither were awarded a kill, nor an official shared, but somewhere in the back of the logbook was a pencil entry of shared claims :slight_smile: I’m sure they also had a kill claim based on the number of engines so downing a B17 would result in 4 kills.

Perhaps Marsh will be able to shed some light on this?

Youre right Classic,
shooting down a mossie didnt’ give a pilot of the luftwaffe 2 kills!

Kills were kills and had to be confirmed by a second pilot. Otherwise it was not credited.

What you mean are points. The Luftwaffe used pointsystem for awarding medals etc.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta/jgscor.htm

didnt read all of it, but it seems good to give an impression how it worked

That’s what I understood, Paf. A heavy bomber was more points to differentiate it from an ‘easy’ single-engined fighter :slight_smile:

I think an RAF/ USAAF ‘kill’ was also worth more than a VVS, like it says in your link.

Not so sure about the ‘most rigid and trustworthy of all World War Two combatants’ remark, but then the rule of thumb was to divide claims by 2 or 3 to get a realistic estimate. I believe that was Park’s method during the BoB, and it’s a pretty good basis if you look at claims versus losses :slight_smile: