Monday 25th March 2019 - Mission Briefing

The primary objective of Mission Floodgates is to destroy the control center of Inguri (a.k.a. Enguri) Dam, located at Jvari, Georgia, and deny the area a reliable source of electric power for the foreseeable future (Strike Phase I). Secondary objectives of this overall action are runway denial at nearby Sukhumi Air Base (Strike Phase II) and prevention of enemy force occupation of Gudauta Air Base (CAS). CAP and SEAD flights will support the strike and CAS missions.

Time of day:

• Start up - 08:10

Weather:

• Medium level, scattered, cloud expected, possible showers.

STRIKE FLIGHT – Phase I
Available Aircraft (Based at Sochi-Adler; Preloaded with low drag bombs for precision strike)
3X AJS-37 Viggen
3X AV-8B Harrier

Primary Target – Control Center
Secondary Targets – Surrounding buildings and gate control towers on dam

Comments: After the primary target has been destroyed, and any secondary targets if possible, RTB and rearm with high drag bombs for Phase II.

STRIKE FLIGHT – Phase II
Available Aircraft (Based at Sochi-Adler; Reload with high drag bombs for runway denial)
3X AJS-37 Viggen
3X AV-8B Harrier
Primary Target – Sukhumi Air Base

CAS FLIGHT
Available Aircraft (Based at Sochi-Adler)
4X Harrier

Primary Objective – Preclude enemy forces from occupying Gudauta Air Base and protect friendly convoy in-bound to Gudauta.

Secondary Objective – Targets of Opportunity
JTAC is available to assist in target location (Chevy 11 on 133 MHz)

SEAD FLIGHT
Available Aircraft (Based at Sochi-Adler)
2X F/A-18C

Primary Objective – Locate and destroy SAM sites near Strike Flight feet-dry ingress area.

Secondary Objective – Targets of Opportunity

CAP FLIGHT
Available Aircraft (Based at Maykop-Khanskaya)
4X F-15C
4X F-14B
4X F/A-18C
Primary Objective – Air superiority over area of operations
AWACS – Overlord on 251 MHz

Tanker Flight “Arco”
Arco 1
TACAN 1X
Frequency = 255MHz
Speed 320Kts

Arco 2
TACAN 2X
Frequency =260MHz
Speed 320Kts

Arco 3
TACAN 3X
Frequency =265MHz
Speed 320Kts

Arco 4
TACAN 24X
Frequency =270MHz
Speed 320Kts

JTAC
Freq 131MHz
Callsign = Axeman 1

Opposition:
Definite opposition unknown. A large number of long and short range SAMs are anticipated. These are the primary targets of the Hornet flights.
Enemy fighter opposition expected to consist of Flanker and Fulcrum flights, expect a rapid response to incursions into enemy territory.

Was a really good mission guys. Thanks to everyone that took part, especially Tyro for his time in overseeing the mission.

Yup thanks to Tyro and to OD for the mission. For the first time in yonks it felt like we were doing something together in a coordinated effort even if we weren’t 12 aircraft in the same formation as in the SoW WWII campaign. Even though Tyro says that in real life each flight gets on with it’s own mission and doesn’t even know about the big picture, in our case with few aircraft in total it was great to hear the GCI comms with the others to know that things were happening even if not of immediate interest to our flight & objectives. A pity that the CAP group got pbs just when the strike group needed them, but this is probably what happens in the real world when things don’t go to plan. We in the strike group should probably have dumped our bombs earlier and faced the threat with Sidewinders instead of running. Again the almost permanent running commentary from GCI really reinforced the immersive aspect even if I can see OD’s point that at times we need another channel to communicate with flight members when required instead of waiting for a break in GCI flow. Thanks again - this is a real incentive for me to get more to grips with the Harrier.

Oh and MRAM don’t be hard on yourself, your lead was clear and we were able to follow even during the break. We should perhaps have briefed before starting on things like penetration altitude & speed and what to do if we get bounced (stay together or split up ?, evade or go offensive ?) a rdv point if required etc, etc, as in the old days (this is where a 2nd channel would be a must).

Why are you wasting your precious time on the jets? :stuck_out_tongue:

If there was a decent EAF supported campaign running WWII in Spits I’d be more than happy - but if the majority want jets then I can give up 1 night a week for a good team mission. I do plenty of Spitfire test flying the rest of the week.

1 Like

Yip was good fun, and a big thank you to Tyro, even though trying to work out his brevity took a couple of minutes

@Flashheart_EAF602…NEXT TIME I’M YOUR WING MAN :airplane:

Red

Yeah - superb experience flying together as part of an integrated mission package. Big shout out to OD for modding that mission and Tyro for being an awesome GCI. "Trespass, Gadfly - Sukhami!’

Blockquote We should perhaps have briefed before starting on things like penetration altitude & speed

Yeah SOPs is something that should be agreed/prebriefed beforehand. Whats the RV? Bullseye? etc. This will come with time but i think the small scale (number of participants and geographical size) and lack of dynamic weather means that RL stuff like planned divert airfields isn’t perhaps as necessary.

On comms - agree that intraflight should be on SRS (or teamspeak whisper) but again for a small team it is useful to hear the GCI calls to other players (which you would be monitoring in real-life anyway) to build the picture.

Sorry @EAF602_Red - bring on the auto IFF in the next Hornet patch! :slight_smile: