Joystick spiking badly

I had big problems monday during an emergency landing because of the signals that were sent to the program.

Two things are showing up, sometimes at the same moment:

1. the mouse pointer goes to the top of the screen. I am not able to click or read any gauge in this situation.
  2. the course setter is engaged constantly and spewing out numbers so I could not ready the messages “Gear down” or “Flaps down”. The lights turned green so I at least had the wheels down. Overshot the runway though.

I looked this up in the windows gamecontrollers panel and the twisty Z axis is spiking all over the place. I am going to operate on my Saitek X52 pro tomorrow to clean that up and will do the other 2 axis at the same time. The mini joystick is also permanently giving a signal “go up” ( ? axis up). I have no use for that one so I am tempted to get a wire cutter out of anger.

The Joystick itself does not move that well mechanically. Is there any way to grease it? It kills my aiming and that is already bad in its own right.

New stick?

Depends how long you can put up with it Bob, and then again it’s maybe time to buy yourself a new Xmas present:D

Stevie

Xmas present sounds like a good idea! :wink:

Then again, spiking might be caused by bad pots, but it could also be a cable that is damaged somehow. I had quite a lot of problems with my HOTAS Cougar for a while due to the cable from the throttle to the joystick beeing damaged, I got so far that I bought replacement parts for the cable, but about the time I got them the problem practically disappeared, so then I didn’t bother with it. That was in 2011/12 sometime, cue forward to this year when the problems came back with a vengeance. I was really close to simply buy myself a Warthog, but as finances was slightly tight I decided to have a go at fixing the cable. I cut something like 2 dm off from it and soldered a new contact on it, and apart from my problems with getting it to understand what rudder pedals I have (fixed now, somehow), it have been working just fine. :slight_smile:

I have my doubts on the quality cq. duration of the Saitek joysticks (X45 and X52 died on me). OK the price tag is also different compared with the TM Warthog.
Maybe you can find something secondhand on the internet. The Joystick of the Warthog is also sold separatly what can bring the costs down.
For now good luck with operating the thing.

Pax,

Opening up the X52 was easy, but the comment was that it was better to change the pots than cleaning them now and having dirt again soon. And that is whole another story. Going deeper into the X52 to unsolder the pots. Maybe a nice thing after I bought something new.

The reviews on the build quality of newer Saitek stuff scared me off for now. This was my price range but if they let quality control go down the drain, I have my doubts.

Do you have the complete Warthog set? (Prices range from 320 to 460). There are no trim wheels on the Warthog throttle either?

How would it be with the Thrustmaster Joystick only (150 to 275) and my Throttle quadrant? A plane with mix, oil cooler and engine cooler would give trouble already. (LAGG-3 or Yak-1?).

Never mind, Merry Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apoFZv5J6xo

Bob

Hahaha… that reminds me of how much money Slade is receiving each year the song is played during Christmas and that are a lot of Warthogs believe me :rolleyes:

I went for the complete set with the idea if I have only the joystick and wanted the throttle later I could have a problem because that thing isn’t to buy separately. How much I paid for it and where I bought, will have to look it up and let you know.

Throttle has just one rotary which for me is enough having the quadrant having as well. Though for DCS I don’t need to use the quadrant, but for BOS it is getting in handy.

See also this thread: http://forum.europeanaf.net/showthread.php?25228-Pax-and-his-new-Warthog!

Yes, just ordered it. But I chose Slade because I am not sure how good Mikke and Red are at Christmas carols. Slade is doing one of the few Christmas songs I can stand.

I meant I already ordered it.

Oh… you will really feel as a child when you unpack the thing :wink:
Congrats Bob :slight_smile:

:banana: You deserve it! I hope you’ll like it as much as I think you will! :smiley:

Guys, does the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick (the whole set with throttle quadrant) have a button which flips back to the center and because of that rudder control can be assigned?

(I don’t have rudder pedals)

There is no twisty Z-axis on the stick. In some reviews you are warned to take the costs of rudder pedals into account.

Button? Are you talking about reprogramming on the fly? By flipping a switch the movement left-right goes from aileron to rudder?

Tada.

It is already there. At the end of a World of Warships session the doorbell rings. A spurt to the front balcony. PostNL is there. Door open. Postman slowly comes up the stairs. Sign here. Heavy. Thanks. Friendly guy. Back to the computer to sink the last AI ship. And wins top of the list. 2 BBs and 1 light cruiser. Thanks to the other ships diverting attention from my light cruiser during torp runs.

Al Bundy style: “Who needs a handbook”. Well I do. Expect questions. I need a profile for tonight.

Off I go. Appointment at 11.30.

Bye