Initial thoughts on the BoX annoucement

Hi all,
Just posted my initial thoughts on the announcement…
https://79vraf.wordpress.com/2017/11/17/il2-battle-of-x-announcement/
Have to say I am disappointed with the representation of the RAF.

OD

The plan-set was obvious for their choice of theater.

The P-47, P-51 and B-25 will be reused in the pacific,…if it comes.
I would rather have seen the A-26 instead of the B-25, as this was much more used in ETO in late 1944.

All US and Luftwaffe fighters as well as the map will go well for a Big Week campaign; Although the B-17 and B-24 will be missed.

I do have some questions about the versions.

There are many big differences between versions of the P-51D, P-47D, and a Spit Mk. IX.

In the P-51D it comes down to the computerized gun-sight.

In the P-47D the differences affects hard-points, engine power, climb rate (better with introduction of the paddle propellers), fuel capacity, dive-breaks, computerized gun-sight.

Although their choice of theater is a surprise for me, it is not a good one :frowning:
I had hoped for a Pacific theater with carrier landings, but I guess the workload of making ships was not something they had the the heart to go for.

I am also worried about the lack of commitment to adapt the game and server to multi-core/Multi-Threading CPUs. Currently the Servers run on a single core which limits the missionbuilders to make more diverse mission. The mission creates are already in trouble. The are enabling and disabling targets that can be destroyed to keep server load down, but more of us want a more diverse combat environment where we can destroy everything we see. (On finish you can see inactive Tank-bases which cannot be destroyed due to this).
I can only hope that this is one of the many improvements which goes on behind the scene.

I suspected Ardennes for a long time, as it would be a ‘neat’ project from requirement and commitment perspective given current tech. Given the subsequent aircraft release from the previous titles, a Mossie, Spit XIV and flyable B-25 are far from impossible.

I also expect this will give them the time and funding for other iterative developments - fuel tanks, damage etc. At the very least it is a plan for the future that is likely to generate revenue and commitment

Also some possibility of a chimera 1940 battle, crow-barring in the Russian-front a/c as we used to do in Il-2. Maybe 3rd party expansion of this…?

My reposte from the Il2 forum…

I am disappointed! :sorry:
I had looked forward to the challenge of carrier operation in the pacific and the challenge of long flights over water as well as getting reacquainted with the Hayrake beacons, but it should not be.

I see that the choice of Bodenplatte goes well with the tank-makers and the current war on the Easter front. Although I would like to see both Russian and German scout vehicles.

But I am sorely surprised by introducing the B-25,…even as an AI. :umnik2:
Operation Bodenplatte took place from 1 January 1945. At which the Martin B-26 Marauder was the only US Airforce medium bomber in the European Theater of Operation(ETO) . Only the French and RAF used the B-25 as a medium bomber in Northern Europe.
So the logical and historical choice should be to choose the B-26.
Unless you wanted a British used aircraft, in which the native produced D.H.Mosquito FB/B Mk. IX would the natural choice. :big_boss:

I am also quite perplexed by the choice of making the Spitfire Mk. IX.
Although it was still in use as a fighter-bomber (among Sqds like RAF 331), it was not equal to the Luftwaffe fighters. A more natural choice would have been to make the Spitfire Mk XIV or the Spitfire Mk XVI.

Both choices would be like introducing the TB-3 into the Eastern front Theater, or giving the VVS the B-25 (VVS did evaluate the B-25, but chose not to adopt).

When that is said; I am glad to see the developers and business planners thinking outside the box. Adding the ground combat environment and additional aircrafts through partnerships are nice. :good:
With this I am sure that we will see better Multi-core/Multi-threading CPU support, to ensure stable servers as well as increased support for more realistic missions.

Starfire clear! :salute:

You have some very good points there, Starfire. A later Spitfire as well as the Mosquito will be missed.
But I am glad that the IL2 project is moving forward…

Nil desperandum. Suspect that the Spit IX will be a late mark, which is basically the same as a XVI. Spitfire numerals tend to hid a variety of different models, including engine type and specification.

A XVI is essentially a late model IX fuselage with a Packard 66 - ie a 266 Merlin which is likely 1,700 hp or there abouts configured for LF. Should be fairly competitive at lo altitude, even if it is no XIV

But it would be nice to have a Spit with the bubble canopy.

But it would be nice to have a Spit with the bubble canopy.

Certainly, though personally I always felt the bubble with the fixed tail wheel a bit jarring aesthetically. Cannot put my finger on why. The 2 x .5s are a good update, though.

I always loved the VIII, but sadly she remains a forgotten model. A XIV would be good but the Griffon lacks the Merlin’s elegance for me. Oh, and Blue would be totally taken apart by XIVs, Tempest Vs and P-51s = Luftwhining on a grand scale :wink:

I think its great news, highlights for me are a Spit IX and wow a Tempest!! ROF in VR…drool, flying the I16 in VR is my favorite for just flying. Learning to fly the pilot killer Camel again will be fun. Some sort of ground war going on would be a bonus!

Tanks…hmm…I’ll enjoy blowing them up in my Tempest. But I’ll give it a go it others are trying it…maybe…and I can shoot Red…again.

At least its all progress and with a proven developer that will strive to deliver above and beyond. Looks an interesting two years ahead.

and hello Ed! :slight_smile:

The Mk. VIII was always my favorite.
Slim lines, retractable tailwheel.
Whenever it was available in the old online servers I jumped it :smiley:

One of my memorable victories was when I got bounced on the Italian map.
I had been shadowing a Luftwaffe airfield for a good bounce while flying a Mk. VIII clipped wing.
As fuel got low I set her nose for home, when a tingle in my neck made me made a break-turn; And out of the shadow of six an ugly 109 turned up.
We went into a spiraling shallow dive jocking for position, but in the end I managed to out maneuver the bandit by always staying at best turning speed. In the end I clipped his elevator and he spun into the ground by himself.

I’m really disappointed PTO being delayed!
But if they are short on PTO materials and translations than i can wait 2 years, better than getting halfproduct.
BoBP gives me mixed feelings with all those superstar fighters and having no bigger ladies (bombers).
Well at least it will attract wider public making it more popular granting further il2 box development.
I’m also happy about Flying Circus, tanks crew not so much.