Help, low fps

New PC:

i5-4670K
16GB RAM
ASUS HD6950, 2GB VRAM
All- SSD

Il2 Black Death, min of 10 fps!!??!!?? v4.12.2 no mods
DCS A10: avg of 20 fps with only my plane

No processor gets at 100% at any time, and max GPU Load is 40% (hmmmm, isn’t this strange?)

Any ideas? please

OK, wait a moment

I launched my saved copy of IL2 4.12 and the minimum was 38fps (compare with the 7 I am getting in my modded version). So probably it is related to the mods, I will apply them again over my clean 4.12 copy.

And remember folks, always keep a away a clean 4.12 version!

OK, so

4.12.2 clean -> install HSFX 7.0 -> run (no mod activated): 10 fps

Im very very close to delete all my IL2 folders and forget about it forever.

Welcome to CoD! :wink:

Kidding aside, I don’t have any good advice, but it sounds like you might get some graphics addition added when you apply the mods, perhaps check so you don’t have something like that enabled?

Have you Vsync activated? Is Your antivirus in Play/mod?

I recently ran the very same track on my old rig to check the fps using various forms of anti-aliasing

AMD Phenom x2
4 GB RAM
Asus HD 7750 1GB VRAM
All SSD

When the IL2’s bomb the airport I was getting as low as 14 fps with standard AA and 18 (?) with SMAA Ultra. Eventually I decided on 4x Morphological anti-aliasing (MLAA) which I implemented through a program called RadeonPro.

I remember reading somewhere that IL2 1946 at some point was optimized to run best at 4xAA and I certainly saw an improvement.

(Radeon Prop has a variety of other features, such as built in SweetFX, Flip queue control, Force Processing, FPS counter (that’s easier to turn on and off than IL2’s) etc.)

Remembering that 4.12.1 made all the in game effects bigger and bolder, I lowered EFFECTS in the config.ini and was finally achieving 24 (?) as a minimum.

I also found I had a problem with texture compression (not using S3TC) and my game now looks better than ever.

Here is the interesting bit of my conf, although I’m sure you can achieve more with your set up Nepe.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=2
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1 (now works with ATI)
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0 (1 for Nvidia)
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0 (1 for Nvidia)
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0 (1 for Nvidia)

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

My fps in general, is now well over a hundred, most of the time and I haven’t seen any slow down or stuttering.

Good luck

EAF19_Baz

Thanks folks

Baz, thanks a lot for your detailed help, but Im afraid is something else. Anyway I tried your conf and still Im getting a minimum of 6 fps in BlackDeath.

Without installing HSFX I get: avg 130 max 360 min 39.

Last nigh i’ve added “512mb mod” in Ivan’ folder in HSFX folder. It adds more memory for il2…You can try it!!!

Last time I used 512MB my game crashed. That was mission 1. But you didn’t crash Luft? Maybe safe to try again…

I get absolute MASSIV FPS drop over towns. Over Tula I went from stable 120 FPS down to 12-15. I have to zoom all in to gunsight zoom to get somehwat 30 FPS. If I zoom out wide, and see whole town, down to 12.

Anyone have same issues? Towns and zoomed out?

After 1-2 minutes waiting takeoff, chocks in, my engine cutted off. Same problem for Chip (i 'didn’t know if he has 512mb mod)…We tried everythig…nothing, engine started and cutted off after 2 seconds…:(:(:(:(:frowning: I’m very pissed!!!

It was very sad to hear it over the radio last night! :frowning:

I have a bad feeling it was “Reliability” realism setting, switched on by mistake.

Anyone knows, Snafu, if Reliability works this way? Spawn in plane but engine just wont start?

Nepe, my PC is unchanged since ever. With HSFX and the variety of mods used until now, IL-2 runs more fluidly than before, even when I switch Perfect Textures on…:banana:

Found it…

Thanks Walter! it was thanks to your suggestion of running 3DMark that I got a clue.

Now I get in HSFX avg/max/min 118/284/33

The solution was as simpel as changing the enegy plan to high performance, so the processor cores speed stays at max :slight_smile:

Now, why it didnt happen with the clean 4.12, and it does with HSFX? Anyone knows??

To even improve on that regard, be sure to unpark any parked cores in Win7/win8 for multicore CPU’s.

Your PC will use a bit more power and run slightly hotter as all cores will always work fully, but performance gain in some games is significant because some games o not unpark them per need and stay chocked down. I always have mine unparked but I also use aftermarket coolers (air or water, any will do for overclocking as long as it’s not stock one).

Here is info how to do it, so give it a go, you can always revert back as it’s just a registry setting to tell Win how to behave:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Thanks Cy

I checked and no cores appear as parked in my PC.

I have just overclocked my HD6950, and this afternoon I will start overclocking the i5-4670k. Start checking by recommended oc speeds, etc, I have a bit of reading ahead.

Thanks all!

Thanks Cy, I’ll try the unparking as well! :slight_smile: