Great Technical Discussion on Engines and Fuel

A fantastic thread on fuel properties and the effect on/ output from engine design. Topsy, I think you will find it most interesting.

Thanks for the thread which I skimped thru for a quick look, but will look again in more detail.

From what I have read in technical papers and if my memory is reliable : Basically the allies managed to develop higher octane fuel 100 then 150 (particularly for the Griffon engine Spitfire MkXIV’s assigned to chasing V1’s which were sent to de Havillands for GEM mods - converting them to 150 octane) allowing for greater power to be developed for a given size of engine; The Luftwaffe who’s fuel was officially rated at about 80 octane, but in reality was probably less, had to rely on bigger (higher capacity engines) and various additives to obtain greater power, though never really reaching the specific power output/cubic capacity that the allies achieved. So the war was also won in the labs.

Coughing :smiley:
I think you are overstating.
I would like to state that the war was won by “Brute Force” (John Ellis).

Aircraft production

Total Axis Combat aircraft’s: 91,408
Total aircraft’s: 114,763
(This is without those of Japan)

Total Allies Combat aircraft’s: 399,170
Total aircraft’s: 542,120

and these are just for aircrafts…:rolleyes:

I think you are overstating.
I would like to state that the war was won by “Brute Force” (John Ellis).

You need both for modern war, especially the UK / Commonwealth that could not afford Soviet-style loss rates. The Germans definitely could not afford both and the Luftwaffe enters a death spiral (but that is a much longer story)