DCS Training syllabus

Hi all,
Can we try and nail this down so that we get something a bit more focussed? The main focus is likely to be the Spitfire Mk IX as we’re all going for it, but I think we should try and get our proficiency to a higher standard so that we have something to aim for and we know what we’re practicing for. There are servers out there that we can participate in when we’re ready - with air superiority and ground attack roles required.

I think we could attract new members if we get this right and have a DCS offer. When I put reviews on the 79vRAF wordpress site I am getting around 4-500 visitors. Putting something similar up for EAF as a whole we could be start to bring some people in with more knowledge of the servers, the aircraft and some new ways of doing things in DCS.

I’m happy to make the base missions so that the syllabus can be implemented, but I’d like to know what it is that we are looking to achieve as I’d like to start being able to move on from hosting the same missions and move on to flying with other squads. We know that SoW are looking to run missions in DCS so I think we should really start to get up to speed.

OD.

I think this is a great idea Tom.

I’m happy to make the base missions so that the syllabus can be implemented, but I’d like to know what it is that we are looking to achieve as I’d like to start being able to move on from hosting the same missions and move on to flying with other squads.

Thanks and right now we’re all over the place with DCS, so having a syllabus would be useful. I’d think offering a sandbox environment is good but some coaching will be needed to get everybody up to speed. Obviously taxiing, takeoffs and landing is vital and getting the startup/keys set can be learnt offline. Even the former should be practiced offline as much as possible. Trying to get this smoothly and right each time needs practice.

The focus shortly after this should be pushing the plane to its limits, formation flying and ultimately fighting.

Personally i’m more into BOS right now.
and
waiting for the Damage model patch in DCS…
But some training is always welcome!

if you plan something let me know!

I’d consider the Spitfire and the P51 as standard for EAF in the future.

Ok, so, if I put something together with the following headings you’ll be ok with that?

European Air Force DCS Syllabus:
World War Two aircraft:

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXc
Essential control assignments
• Take off
• Circuit
• In-flight engine management
• Operating mode
• Weapons employment
o Air to Air
o Bombs
• Landing

North American P-51D Mustang
Essential Control assignments
• Take off
• Circuit
• In-flight engine management
• Operating mode
• Weapons employment
o Air to Air
o Bombs
[INDENT]? Dive bombing
? Skip bombing
? Low-level bombing
o Rockets[/INDENT]
• Landing

Can we have a section in the DCS Forum for the Spitfire Mk IX and a section for the P-51D. Then I will make a post for each aircraft with the above headings. This will contain links to YouTube and other tutorials. Does that sound ok?

OD

Looking good OD!
Do we want/need subforums for each plane, or would a pinned post for each be better?

I don’t see any problem with having this on a open forum as long as we don’t get into squadron specific tactics, and we’re pretty far from that at the moment I would say, both in numbers and in current skill levels (at least as a group).

I just made you a moderator of this forum OD, so if you want to you can make pinned posts etc.

Thaks Mikke!

I just thought specific forum for each so that we can keep thing separate and have them for easy reference - plus people can post specific questions in each topic then. It would mean this main section could be kept for general DCS stuff, while the learning tools are kept in one place.

I’ll see if I can find somewhere to upload training missions. I’ll see if I can put some together for both online and offline missions (when I get a chance - may take a while!)

No discussion of tactics etc. unless it’s things like don’t chase the 190, it’s pointless and you’ll blow the engine!