DCS: Mariana Map release trailer!

3 Likes

I just downloaded it and tried the free flight mission in the F-16 over it. And it’s a slideshow for me over land. I was down to 12fps just flying over the largest island, at best over land I barely got over 20 fps. Over water I was between 30 and 40 fps, flyable but not totally enjoyable, under 20 constantly is almost painful.

Ok, I still need a new graphics card, but I can fly Normandie, Caucasus, PG and Syria (yes, Syria) without it becoming painful. Channel map unfortunately is bordeline painful, but over land in Marianas was worse I think.

I read someone saying it was a 90Gb map, it’s not, it’s 9 Gb. And it’s free, so go ahead and download it even it your PC might have problems running it like mine.

ED with The Channel and more with Mariana is pushing new techs and LOD in map’s building so at the release they are crap from optimization… But as with The Channel who improve release after release I think that Mariana will follow the same path.
I haven’t tried the map but from pictures and Your PCbeahvior I think the problem is in the three’s density. Try to lower it from 1 to 0.2 and see if it become playable.
Tomorrow I will made some testing.

For @Mikke

Here is the official statement from ED:

Stormbirds Blog Statement:
DCS: Marianas is not yet done as a project and there are some key areas that still need work. First, VR performance is a serious issue. While I had no significant issues myself while playing in 2D on my older system, VR users and commenters both here on Stormbirds.blog and on the DCS World forums have noted that performance is not currently very good.

The answer to that is that Eagle Dynamics are still working on optimization for this map and that’s definitely going to be a good thing over the long haul. Here’s what ED Community Manager NineLine had to say:

Despite being an island map, you can expect similar performance to the Syria map; this is due to the very dense object population of the islands that includes trees, buildings, rocky coastlines, and other objects. At the time of release, optimizations is still ongoing, and we expect performance to improve in later updates. That said, please review the system spec requirements.