Company of Heroes

Yes it does qualify it’s ground forces :slight_smile:

I’m a sim fan so when I got CoH I played it for the novelty value and put it away for a rainy day maybe. I had to try it again to see if it would run on DX10. Forget graphics cards- what an amazing tabletop game it’s addictive I had a couple of milkman rattling bottles and birds chirping sessions I’m not allowed to play it any more :slight_smile:

Thoroughly recommended to anyone who likes strategy games and second only to Battlezone (I think it was called, planetary war, some chiselled-chin bloke talking about looking after the sheep) for the adrenalin-rush. Like chess but fast-moving and the AI must be bloody cheating come on man :slight_smile: Your forces are both expendable and cherishable I hate to see those little guys under the cosh

More than the fun of the gameplay there’s also a record/playback function and you can download games (played by people who know what they’re doing) and replay them with an mp3-downloaded commentary alongside. That may or may not be useful

Bit like when we try to record the comms soundtrack in Il-2 and play it back alongside a track or movie made from a track. Which is an ambition :slight_smile: Very well done in CoH “Now hit Play” - dead simple synchronising sound to ingame play

Redball Express in the campaign which I’m not allowed to play under ‘withdrawal of services’ warnings lol at the moment. Really immersive and believe it or not, feels WW2-realistic. Hold down the Alt key, move the mouse and what have you got. CoD2 with amazing Normandy visuals and other blokes doing all the work :slight_smile: Brothers In Arms promised Normandy and this one delivers it, beautiful terrain very jewel-like

Not seen the Brits thinking on it. Wonder if there’s a mod. I’d buy it.

Many patches, no problems running it at all

Ming

I`ve thought about this several times… but just not sure. Looks a bit too rts for me.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/j/jumbo.htm

Ming

Ok, let me just get my My book of Ming translations.:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not strictly speaking a ground war sim, more of a game but still quite enjoyable if you’re not expecting CoD or ArmA. The Normandy model is very beautiful plus I thought you’d like the artwork :slight_smile:

Two Worlds is released soon in UK, that looks interesting on the games front, missing Gothic3

Ming

I’ve got it and had it for ages, but then again I am a strategy game fan so its hardly surprising. As for the game itself, well it rocks! Excellent gameplay, incredibly good graphics and the sounds are so immersive. You have to play the game with the sub turned on and ready to feel the rumble as a battery of 105mm howitzers lets fly, or perhaps a Nebelwerfer if you are playing for the darkside. Even when not looking directly at the unit you get background sounds so as you order your artillery to fire which is back at the base you hear the rolling rumble of each gun going off and seconds later the battlefield erupts right before your eyes with vehicles and bits of human being flung all over the place. Best WWII RTS game I have seen yet, and if ever any on you do buy it and fancy playing online Zulu and myself are old hands at it.

I notice it`s only £15 now.

Im a strategy fan too, but more old style. ShockForce by the makers of Combat mission series 1/2/3 is looking very good. Due out next week! I loved Combat missions on the eastern front and the African North desert gritty realism so i`ll probably check this if possible.

OK, had a look at this on saturday.

I dont like RTS much, but this game is actually not bad at all. It tries to be a lot more realistic in general and attempts to avoid that splurging out of troops like cannon-fodder thing.

Graphics and animation are indeed very good and its quite something to zoom right in to almost FPS view amidst the fighting. theres also a replay option which should be good in allowing me to get close up in the battle - as Ming said.

I was also somewhat surprised to click on one unit in a particularly intense fight and the soldier says, “I`m a little F***ing busy right now!”

That made me chuckle in surprise. Not used to swearing in an RTS!

Not the best infantry WWII game ever (Earned in Blood is), but not bad. not bad at all.

Not bad??.. it’s the best WWII RTS out there!:slight_smile: