Check you game..Spit MkIx is out :)

As it says in the title, new aircraft to feck around with { although the feckers have still no fixed trim to an axis yet :frowning: }

G-14 rocket is also out. I tried to catch up with both Sunde and Ribbon in the IXe but I never cought them.
The G14 have almost no vices. It climb like a rocket. Needs very little rudder to keep it straight. Elevators still a bit stiff in a dive, but not like the G-6. Visability the best yet. It is very hard to say something bad about it. It’s dosent have any of the stiff feelings the BF109K from DCS have.

The only positive side is that most of Blue side dosent know how to support the ground war.

Hehe, yeah!
I noticed some new pilots on Finnish, coming from WoL.
They are XSpace pilots camping in outer orbit, maybe suggesting to the admins they implement ISS for Axis as airfield. :banana:

Going to give myself some time with it thisarvo! :cool:

Nice to have a MkIX with clipped wings as an option - even if I don’t see any difference in roll rate. Published a long article about the plane set markings for which most are not historically correct for Bodenplatte. Details & link in the IL2 section.

I.

Love

It.

Here’s some stuff about the standard aircraft and the mkII Gyro gunsight version in the game :

Selecting the MkII Gyro Gunsight option in the game converts the standard throttle grip to a twist grip, where the twist grip allows the pilot to control gunsight ranging, a feature which is historically correct for Spitfire fitted with this type of gunsight.

Please note that the Mk II Gyro Gunsight game option also has an effect on engine control, whereby the propeller control is linked to the throttle to automatically control engine RPM, thus rendering the airscrew control lever control inoperative when this game option is selected. Late MkIX Spitfires did indeed have linked controls, however the pilot still had the option for a manual override control of RPM via the aircrew control lever, but the function is not modeled in this simulator. During the war Spitfire pilots were strongly recommended not to use the manual override as this had the immediate effect of dramatically increasing specific fuel consumption.

I must say i love spit mk.IX!
With clipped wings and merlin70 you can run it on emergency power forever, i don’t know is it a bug.
On Berloga i managed to climb and follow runaway g14 up to 8000m without problem and even catch it but i was without ammo, was on his six 50m away playing with him.

You followed a G-14 with a Clipped wings?

Yes!
Maybe pilot was not quite skilled, but it didn’t seems so cos he was doing excatly what he should, trying to outclimb me in a straight pattern.
After some time he wen’t into turn and that’s where i got him leak and smoke with MG.
After that he dived which wasn’t a good maneuver cos i got on his 6 so close i could ram him…that’s where i was out of ammo.
Anyway merlin 70 on full power can last enough to catch and shot down runaway enemy.

Nice… So what is the main difference between Merlin 65 and 70?

Merlin 70 is for high alts, other than that i really don’t know.
I’m to lazy to read specs, i just fly it till it blows up ;)))

Ahahah…
But I think that with the standard wings it could be easier to follow a 109…
( And I read that the Merlin 66 have a best climb rate…) :smiley:

I simply want to look sexy with those clipped wings :wink:
Standard wings should give some extra lift on certain AoA, how big impact on speed it has i don’t know and how doeas it affect airflow and wingtip vortices :slight_smile:

Standard wings should give some extra lift on certain AoA, how big impact on speed it has i don’t know and how doeas it affect airflow and wingtip vortices

Full wing will always provide more lift, but under c. 15,000 ft you probably do not need them as the Spit has a pretty low wing loading. IIRC the clipped wing offered about 5-10mph difference in terms of reduced form drag (at zero lift so no induced drag comparison) and weight. It should in theory offer a lower overall drag package because of cleaner separation at the tip but TBH I am not sure if this wereas actually true or not.

The 66 plus clipped wings is demonic at low level… if only I had my computer with me :frowning: