Bsod

No flying for me tonight as I was sorting out my first ever BSOD since I built this rig :eek:

All sorted now (or at least worked around) but just for my curiosity - can anyone recommemd a reader for the XP minidump? The BSOD and crash was too quick for good old Doc Watson to see, and since I rely on the drwtsn.log and have never worked with the XP minidump I need a reader for it.

Cann’t answer your questiosn directly but - are you writing events to the system log?

Start Menu -> Right Click: My Computer -> Properties
Advance tab -> Start up and Recovery, Settings
System Failure - set the check mark in write event log

While you’re at it, clear the check mark against ‘Automatically restart’ in that same ‘System failure’ section
That’ll give you a chance to read the screen

There’s a thread on the subject of Blue screens here:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4471048173/r/7441070373#7441070373
(One of many)

I hope somebody more knowledgeable pop’s in PeeGee - this plus that thread is the limit of my knowledge

{edit}If you are logging events, that steve_v’s comments near the bottom of that thread may be useful{/edit}

clear the check mark against ‘Automatically restart’ in that same ‘System failure’ section

Ah, good call, I’ve done that now.

Yes, I keep an error log, but its not much use without a reader. There was an old one for NT but I just wanted something to open the XP minidump files with to take a look at the culprit.