An Invitation From A NoOb :)

Greetings, pilots!

I thought I’d stop by, say hello, and invite you guys to a fight…a fight for Europe. It’s going on 24/7 and we need pilots (and others) to save Europe from the Axis in “Battleground Europe: World War II Online” (WWIIOL). When you folks aren’t having a squadron night, I’m hoping some of you might wander over and lend us a hand. We can use fighter and bomber pilots for air superiority, air support, tactical bombing, and strategic (RDP - research, development, and production - aka targeting enemy factories) bombing. For those who don’t know about WWIIOL, I’ll stick in a bit of information I just happen to have handy. :wink: Thanks for your time, guys!

S! (salute)

-Irish

----------WWIIOL Info----------
For a number of years, Battleground Europe: World War II Online barely stayed afloat. If not for the dedication of its players, it would have folded. Instead, the players stepped up, took over the development studio (Cornered Rat Software, aka “The Rats”), obtained badly needed funding, and started bringing the game back to life, fixing, improving, and adding new features.

WWIIOL was the first MMOFPS (Guinness World Record holder). It was started on D-Day (June 6th), 2001, so it’s having its 16th birthday. (And yes, there are still quite a few “day one” players playing the game, every day.) It’s run on a single half-scale map of Europe. That’s ONE map with no instancing, still the largest computer game map in the world (also Guinness World Record holder). It’s a 24/7 campaign-based combined arms sim. Think of what would’ve happened if Germany had lost the Battle of France. Both sides start each campaign with Europe split right down the middle. The German forces (representing the Axis) face off against the British and French (representing the Allies). If the campaign goes long enough, the Americans join the fight on the Allied side. A campaign runs for a few weeks to a few months, until one side wins. Then, after two to five days of intermission, war breaks out again. You can play as an infantry soldier or spawn in an armor, naval, or air unit. Except for a few computer controlled (AI) defensive gun emplacements around towns and air bases, everyone and every vehicle you fight is controlled by a live player. Warning, the game has a steep learning curve. It’s definitely for the serious sim-head. If you play it like it was a console game, you will get your avatar killed. Tactics and cooperation are EVERYTHING. This IS a true simulation. The physics, including flight and damage models, are as absolutely realistic as they can be. NO “hit points,” either! And no pay to win. There are NO microtransactions, so no one can out spend you to get a better engine, better gunnery, better armor, et cetera.

Yes, the graphics are somewhat primitive. The gameplay is NOT primitive, though. The graphics will be changing, however. The Rats are already doing new models for some of the equipment ingame, and are working on updating everything over time, as resources allow. The game will even be ported over to the Unreal 4 engine at some point. HOWEVER, those same primitive graphics mean you don’t have to have a high end gaming computer to play, since there may be THOUSANDS of players in the same area of the map as you (later this summer fingers crossed). There are also new items being brought ingame all the time. Among the latest are PPOs (player placed objects) and FMS (fortified mobile spawn points). Soon, new variants of existing planes will be brought in, giving us “tank buster” aircraft. If you’re a ground pounder as well as a pilot, don’t fret. Also coming in will be mobile (tank or halftrack mounted) anti aircraft guns. NOTE: The tank busters and mobile AA are “place holders,” made by modifying existing ingame assets, for use until historically correct units can be modeled and brought into game to perform those same tasks.

The basic (low tier) game is free to play. If you decide you like it, you can “enlist” :wink: with a Starter subscription for $7.99(US)/month, which gives you access to somewhat higher rank and mid-tier equipment. Or, you can get a Premium subscription for $14.99(US)/month (if done with Easy Pay or $17.99 otherwise), which gives you access to all ranks and equipment. I was paying $14.99/month back in 2003 for the Istaria MMO and after that for City of Heroes, so that’s NOT a bad deal. For about what you’d spend for a movie ticket, Coke, and popcorn, you get a full month of 24/7 WWII action.

As I said earlier, the game is being improved constantly. The Rats have cleaned up a TON of old, poorly patched “spaghetti code” and have purchased new hardware. The game is moving forward. In fact, the game is scheduled to be in early release on Steam (game service) this summer. Now’s the time to get ingame. And, just so you know, I have NO connection to the developers. I’m simply a player and a big fan of the game. I’m posting this in hopes that others will discover and come to love this awesome (and incredibly frustrating) game. :slight_smile:

WWIIOL Website
http://www.wwiionline.com/

CRS YouTube Channel

Dev Roadmap (Planned updates and improvements)
https://www.wwiionline.com/community-news#dev-roadmap

BTW… Definitely make sure you go Allied. The Axis players dress funny and smell like bratwurst and sauerkraut! :smiley:

S! O’Donovan

After 3 years in Dublin I´m half Irish now, so happy to see fellow half-countrymen :slight_smile:

Sorry if you don´t see much feedback in this post. The fact is we are already quite split between IL2: Cliffs of Dover, IL2: Battle of Stalingrad and DCS, so it´s doubtful we will move, as a Squadron, into yet another sim.

In any case thanks for your post, maybe some of our pilots want to try WWIIOL individually.

Best of Luck,

S!

Seems we share a surname and family crest…small world. I’d echo Nepe, we’re already well split between Cliffs of Dover, Battle of Stalingrad and DCS World - with different members preferring different sims! Nailing down which one we’ll be flying on a squad night has become quite tough already! A fourth option might make people’s heads explode! :roflmao:

Thanks for the replies, guys! The best I can hope for is some folks from your squadron are looking for something to do in their spare time, between squad nights or when they can’t sleep. WWIIOL is a 24/7 campaign, so you can log in any time and do some good (hopefully for the Allies). :wink:

@Nepe EAF51, I’m jealous of you living in Ireland. I haven’t made it over there yet. Someday, I hope. At least, with people I know who live there, I know I can go to Dublin and never have to pay for a hotel room. :slight_smile: @EAF79_OD, nice to meet you, cousin! :slight_smile: Have you seen the lads from Skibbereen, the O’Donovan brothers, who won the first medal for Ireland EVER in rowing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_cHwzXTOrg

People say they can’t understand them ('cause they’re Skibs?), but I have no problem whatsoever, even being South Chicago Irish, myself. Maybe it’s the genes. Look on YouTube for their best interview, the night before the finals “A to B as fast as you can go and hope for the besht, yah. Close the eyes and pull like a dog.” :slight_smile:

Oh, and by the way… HAPPY BIRTHDAY WWIIOL! The game was released sixteen years ago today, and it’s getting better all the time!

-Irish