Also looking to join a squadron

Hi Guys,

I’m a UK based gamer, in his mid-forties, looking to join a squadron that predominantly flies Hurricanes and Spitfires.
I’ve been playing IL2 since its release (although not very well) offline and have never played online, so aside from what I’ve seen on You tube I have no idea what it really entails.

I’m hoping it will provide me with the opportunity to fly with more experienced “simmers” as part of a squadron in coop missions (rather than just PvP Dogfighting).

I have a mediocre set up so IL2 is about the only sim I can run well.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to fill in the blanks for me. Is this a realistic expectation?

Thanks in advance

Baz.

Hi Baz!!

If your looking for trouble, you’ve come to the right place!! We would be thrilled to fly with you mate. We’re a bunch of guys from age very young to 50+. I joined the EAF about a year ago and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations. The guys are great, fun and intelligent. We have a good time online. Why don’t you stop by on Hyperlobby and say hi tonight? I’ll get one of the guys to post our info here on how to get Teamspeak RC3 and Hyper lobby, since I’m a bit dense and don’t know the password :rolleyes:.

We will be online at 20:00 local UK time tonight. We mostly fly Mondays and Thursdays, but I’m usually able other days as well, when I’m home.

I think you will like the EAF.

Cheers,

Apollo

Hi Baz and welcome.

I’ll be hosting a dogfight then a DCG (Dynamic Campaign Generator) tonight, you are very welcome to join and say hi. We wil be in HL and TS.

What’s your HL name?

Oh, and we fly with the HSFX mod, do you have this?

PS we are gearing up for a major multi squadron Soviet campaign, so no Spitfires at the moment I’m afraid. The last campaign we flew was Crete which was predominantly Hurris. It all depends what we are flying and why.

Hi Baz

Welcome to the forum and the EAF community.
We have 3 UK based Squadrons. I’m part of 92 Squadron, all in our mid forties like yourself, but we’ve left IL2 behind now and only play Rise Of Flight for WWI (free to play and if you can run IL2 you can run RoF) and Cliffs of Dover for WWII, so are probably not a good fit for you.

The remaining 2 UK based Squadrons, 19 and 602, are probably your best option as they are still very active in IL2 although not so much in Hurries and Spits.

Flying nights are Mondays and Thursdays and hopefully someone will contact you with our TS details so you can jump in say hello and have a look at what we do. For IL2 the game needs to be updated with the HSFX addon for compatability as Joe mentioned above.

If you need pointers getting up to date with what is required let us know and we’ll do what we can to help you

Hi Baz,

Welcome and thanks for stopping by! Chaps here already given you a good overview - but another hello from 602 Sqn.

Our last online Crete campaign saw a good bit of Hurri ops (as well as Fulmars, Gladiators, and trusty Blenhiems). But flying in any aircraft as part of a squad, with everyone on comms is a fantastic hobby and unbelievably immersive.

Come and say hello tonight!

Hi Baz and welcome. :slight_smile:

“Hyperlobby” which is the place we meet and fly online can be downloaded from

hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads

Teamspeak, our coms program can be downloaded from

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

Install these programs to start with. If you have any questions just fire away here. You will receive more information later about Teamspeak settings etc.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.
I will have to read through all of your replies again to ensure I’ve taken everything in, but in brief I have Hyper-lobby installed (Username Hurrifan) and have created a separate install today of 4.11.1m with HSFX 6.1 (updated from 6.0). The Team-speak thing is still a mystery to me, but I’ll do some digging (and follow the link you have kindly provided).

I wasn’t expecting such an immediate response, but I will make every effort to join you guys later. Because I haven’t played online, I fear my microphone might be a bit… substandard, but I’ll see how we go.

Thanks again Baz.

Hi Baz and welcome to the EAF

We have various stage,s of training you will go through, which I may add will help your flying skills

I joined for the same reason as youself and havent looked back (although I was a bit younger…by a couple of years:roflmao:)

Stevie

Hi Baz, welcome to our little family.

Not much else for me to say, just get in your Hurri and head for our airfield, you will find instructors and anything you need to start sailing the online skies.

See you soon.

Good to have you along tonight, Hurrifan.

Stats from all the missions so far in the Stalingrad DCG are here:

http://www.keets.org/eafstats/out_campaigndata.cfm?campaign_id=47

It has been a great pleasure hearing you last night in TS.
Don’t worry about online stuffs, we’ll help you to solve everything and became a fantastic pilot in the virtual skies.
Feel free to PM me if you want to fly in other days instead of Monday and Thursday.
Ah… middle fourty also for me :wink:

Nice to meet with you Baz and welcome to our humble home :slight_smile:

We are soon to start our next big campaign over the battlefields surrounding Stalingrad. I hope you will be joining us as we kick the 6th army into touch, not any Spitfires for the next campaign but we do have some rather well armed Russian modified Hurricanes.

See you soon

Baz.

Thank you so much for joining us and introducing yourself yesterday. I know it can be a bit intimidating with so many new voices on TS, but I hope we made you feel right at home. I know the chaps liked the chance to meet, speak and fly with you. Starfire sure liked the opportunity to shoot at you.;). He will no doubt find out that payback’s a Biatch. Actually he really liked shooting at me as well. You and I will have to go on a Starfire hunt soon:cool:

Talking about our nemesis, he will send you all the necessary documentation needed to join our ranks and begin training with the EAF.

Welcome aboard Baz. Really looking forward to training and flying with you sir.

Cheers,

Erik aka Apollo

PS: You will happy to know that our primary training aircraft is the Hurricane MkIIb.

Thank you gents for being so patient with “the noob”, and particularly Apollo for… “taking me under his wing”, when I wasn’t unintentionally line astern.:smiley:

The whole experience exceeded my expectations. Flying in formation, and listening to the flight protocols, particularly during take off and landing was particularly immersive.

I’ll be working on my aircraft identification skills over the next few days, so hopefully by Thursday, I will be able to “pull the trigger” a little more often (on the bad guys).

It is my intention to enter the training program (not just because of the Hurricane MkIIb you use, although that is a bonus) so will forward a PM to my invisible nemesis Starfire. James McCudden, VC, RFC once said " I hate to shoot a Hun down without him seeing me, for although this method is in accordance with my doctrine, it is against what little sporting instincts I have left", so perhaps a friendly flyby cockpit wave Starfire, prior to my inevitable crash and burn… :smiley:

Seriously though it was instructional and great fun.

With respect
Andrew aka Baz aka Hurrifan