After Kuban...Ardennes!

See Jason’s announcement here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32254-announcing-battle-bodenplatte-flying-circus-tank-crew-and-mo/#entry532738

I’ve pre-purchased, on the grounds that the prospect of a Tempest V is something I have dreamed about for a long time.

Hopefully can start flying online some time in Jan.

They may as well just take my money lol…Spitfire MkIX, Tempest, WW1 { SE5A and Camel } and also bloody tanks!!!

The future is indeed looking brighter :cool:

Yep I’ve bought the lot…except the 109!!

Tempest V and even the “Jug” will be low level fun…in VR!! :slight_smile:

WW1 fighters with no canopy in VR and by that time the next gen will likely be out.

Future suddenly looks brighter for our small group, hope they stay going!

I also preordered everything, i’m glad to see more EAF guys going into BoX!

At the back of my mind has always been: ‘I wish they would make a Tempest’.

Crikey!

Lots of whingeing about the plane-set already, I see. I bough everything except the Panzer stuff, which I might buy if the aircraft turn out well and I’m feeling generous. And I have saved for my Rift…

I don’t think complaints about the planset are entirely unjustified. Probably not worth it, but there are some legitimate reasons behind them.
Having just experienced the tanks that are already in game, on the EAF server, last night it should be excellent! That could really add to the sim. WW1 is very appealing with VR, less so without.

Yeah! I’m all for the tanks.
I think they’re good fun. Wish we could operate them in Finnish when we assault the tank bases.

At last a new map in IL2 on the European Theatre of operations - should help me to find my way around the map a lot easier and maybe to fly some “meaty” types.
Haven’t pre-ordered yet but intend to do so.

I don’t think complaints about the planset are entirely unjustified. Probably not worth it, but there are some legitimate reasons behind them.

Personally I think they make quite a lot of sense. The Spit IX can use some of their V work and a Tempest is basically a better Typhoon - add an RP and bombs option and a Tempest can be a Typhoon, but it does not work the other way round.

Wish there were a Mossie, but suspect that may come

It shouldn’t be about doing something just because it is easy though. Also, if it is a late war Spitfire Mk IX then the similarities to the Mk V really start to fade a lot quicker than if it was a 1943 model. The tail is different, the engine is different, new prop, differences in the cockpit. The wing shape is the same and the fuselage, mostly. The systems are different too, far more automation involved.

The Tempest will be great, and I am very happy to have it, it has similarities to the Typhoon, but it is my not a Typhoon. As one of my favourite aircraft I do find it disappointing that it is another one that is regularly overlooked (don’t think it has featured since CFS3) despite it’s importance to the war - at least as, if not more, important than the P-47. Also the Tempest was never equipped with rockets during the war - though it could carry them.

Anyway, like I said, probably pointless to go over. Just wish someone would do the Mk XIV for a change. As ever the Luftwaffe get the best of the best that they had to offer, despite struggling to get them to fly, and the RAF have to make do with a patched up mid-war aircraft instead of the best of the best that was available at the end of the War. If it is the 25lb boost Mk IX we should be able to cope reasonably well.

My twopenny worth of additional info on late MKIX’s

The broad chord rudder that I think you are referring to was not standard on all late MkIX’s, so we may or may not get it.

The early MkIX’s had an M63, which was considered the medium altitude engine. Later in the war 2nd TAF (Tactical Air Force) Spitfires were mostly fitted with the M66 better suited to low altitude work and a few with the M70 rated for high altitude (with high alt grey camouflage). BTW the MkXVI was basically a MkIX with the Packard built R-R M66, which was designated M266. I guess we will get the M66, like the DCS Spitfire.

There are three main visual differences with early production aircraft :

1. Mainplanes : Change from the “c” wing with 2 cannon and 4 Browning .303 to the “e” wing.

“c” wing : 2x 20mm cannon in the inner cannon positions, with provision for a second 20mm in the outer cannon position and 4 x .303 mg’s (as in DCS)
When the second 20mm cannon was fitted, the .303 mg’s were removed. The 4 cannon arrangement was rare, only a SAAF unit used it.

“e” wing : 2 x 20mm cannon in the outer cannon positions, with provision for 2 x .50 cal mg’s on the inner cannon position and 4 x .303 mg’s.
Again when the .50 cal mg’s were fitted, the outer .303 mg’s were often removed as pilots complained that the aircraft was sluggish when they were fitted.

I guess we will probably get the “c” wing (also as in DCS).

1. Elevators : Late production have an extended horn balance, which makes a kink in the horn balance cut out on the tailplane.

2. Carburettor air filter : Early types have the short version like the MkV, later types the extended version incorporating the Vokes filter.

Late MkIX’s and MkXVI’s were fitted with the “Rebecca” homing system which can be seen by a small blister with two small horizontal antennas just aft of the lower ID light, and as time passed the throttle became automatically linked to the airscrew control to ensure optimal power/consumption ratio. In MkIX/XVI the pilot still had the possibility to override this, but at his peril as fuel specific consumption would dramatically increase. There was also introduction of an improved gyro gunsight with binocular effect to help pilots with deflection shooting. It will be interesting to see if the sim version integrates these systems.

My twopenny worth of additional info on late MKIX’s

Good summary; they are very close to each other akin to the G-2 to G-4. A XIV would require a new model and though I hope we will see that before too long, I’d rather have a 1944 IX released in decent time than a XIV at the very end (though I would pay for it as an addition).