9th Company (9 Rota)

I just saw this on Netflix, it was filmed very well, good to see a movie on the Russian War in Afghanistan. Loaded with Soviet Hardware and pretty accurate.

Here is a synopsis:
After barely surviving an intensely grueling boot camp in Uzbekistan, an eclectic group of recently enlisted Soviet soldiers ships off to fight in Afghanistan, where they must endure hellish conditions and extremely dangerous Mujahideen forces. Based on a true story from the 1980s, this rousing Russian war film about camaraderie and heroism stars Aleksey Chadov, Artur Smolyaninov and Konstantin Kryukov.

Interesting,
I remember some footage from that war that was showed us in the army, for how to set up a trap for a convoy. Was hard to watch…

Saw it in original language a couple of years ago.

I got impressed by the utter resemblance with what our own men are now facing: same place, same situations, same way to die…

Tough taking care of keeping out of politics here in our beloved forum, I think it could be interesting to tell what is my Russian friends’ opinion:

Apart from Soviet Union’s support to a “satellite” puppet government (not an exclusivity of theirs, I must say), back in the 80s they foresaw the integralistic islamic menace in advance, but the West was too much focused in smashing the Red Menace…now that the Talibans have grown to the point of becoming a menace for us too, we’re asking for Russian help (airbases, logistics, access points at their border)…:rolleyes: