2.009 is released!

New patch 2.009 is OUT!!

Update 2.009

Dear Pilots,

we’re happy to announce that update 2.009 is ready. The most important addition in it is the VR support. In addition to VR itself, graphics as a whole were heavily updated during the VR development, so everyone will benefit from this update. In addition, it contains many improvements and corrections in other subsystems of the sim.

Main Features:

1. VR support added via Open VR (HTC Vive and Oculus Rift cv1);
  2. Optional post-processing Sharpen filter added;
  3. Hiding the in-game HUD (H key) now stops most GUI routines, which can double your FPS in some situations. You can use this to get a performance boost while playing on a slower PC. After hiding the HUD, you can still turn object markers on by pressing I key (they won’t lower performance since they were recreated for VR in a separate module that doesn’t use ScaleForm like the rest of the GUI);
  4. New option ‘Show HUD by default’ added which can be turned off so HUD won’t turn on at the beginning of a mission;
  5. New graphics option ‘Dynamic resolution factor’ added. It adjusts the render resolution and the number of particles in certain effects on the fly to maintain the FPS level chosen in ‘Target FPS’ field (or screen refresh rate if the V-Sync option is checked). In VR, the target FPS is always 90;
  6. Clouds detail increased for Ultra graphics preset;
  7. The number of smoke particles decreased for all graphics presets except Ultra. This improves FPS while you’re chasing a damaged and smoking enemy aircraft;
  8. Trees rendering technology improved, almost eliminating a tree rotation effect when you fly near them;
  9. Trees LOD levels were reworked to minimize their ‘pop-up’ effect;
  10. A rare crash has been found and fixed. The sim could crash in missions with more than 120 ground objects (random issue). This issue was fixed, but when there are too many ground vehicles some of them may lack effects of lights. A tip for mission designers: if you don’t need a certain group of vehicles anymore, use Delete trigger instead of Deactivate to free their effects and properties cache;

3D Model Changes:
11. He 111 H-16 bump texture corrected, reflections improved;
12. Yak-1 series 127 rear canopy transparency corrected;
13. Three new skins made by community member Stab/JG52_DiO for Bf 109 F-2, Bf 109 F-4 and Bf 109 G-2 added to the game;
14. Missing glass that covers instruments in Bf 110 G-2 engine nacelles added;
15. Fw 190 A-5 is now correctly visible at large distances;

Physics Changes:
16. Flight stick shaking at high speeds will correctly stop after rudder and elevator loss;
17. Ju-87 D-3 flutter can still happen after rudder loss;
18. Aircraft weapons damage from HE shell hits became rarer;
19. Ammo explosion simulation improved - now it happens at ammo box location instead of aircraft center and the explosion power varies depending on ammo type and its amount left;
20. Sh-37 gun ammo weight corrected for IL-2 mod.1942 and LaGG-3 series 29;

AI and other changes:
21. Single ground target attack from high altitude maneuver corrected (an AI will reduce its altitude first and then begin the attack);
22. AI controlled Ju-87 won’t crash during dive recovery if they failed to drop the bomb;
23. A rare issue in campaign when player flight could disassemble and wingmen could crash into each other was fixed;
24. Vehicle columns that were attacked on a bridge act more reasonably;
25. 61K train or ship mounted AA gun kill will be counted correctly;
26. Trees on the Ryabinki airfield runway removed.

Really looking forward to trying out the VR once the router arrives and gets sorted! I’m hoping this makes BoX complete for me!

It seems that the bug reports are checking in…
I loose my mouse pointer after the first flight. Luckily the menus start flashing as usual, but It does make navigating the menus difficult :roflmao:

YESSS!!!

Initial VR impressions from about an hour or so of playtime - looks bloody fantastic, instruments clear and crisp and 90fps according to in game counter. Found myself wanting to stick my fingers through the holes in the canopy after fighting LaGGs in the Quick Mission. Utterly mesmerising seeing how big a enemy fighter is when you get close in and its streaming smoke!

Amazing stuff!

THe bad thou: ancient i7-2700 + 1070 + Rift and getting white flashing in the game and occasional crash. On the 2D monitor looks like the screen is ‘jumping’ slightly every couple of seconds - v annoying and potential game breaker if it can’t be solved.

Got to look into this - but first thoughts - sensor + USB port? SteamVR (notoriously glitchy anyway)? Update Nvida drivers? Or something to do with Full/windowed screen in settings? (I think I had to tweak Il-2 BoS previously to run in windowed mode to solve some problems. Have switched it to full screen and cleared Il-2 settings in Nivdia Control Panel but that didn’t seem to work either.

It seems that my FPS have fallen to between 13-18.
Current solution have been to reinstall steam.

VR is fantastic. Can not really fault it on too much, but it does keep shifting my head up and down randomly - this is the game not the Rift. I don’t think they have modelled the size of the pilot’s head very well though as I am forever banging it on the glass when I try to look around!

I’m spotting targets fine, reading the instruments well and getting kills - even in the Russian aircraft. Puff will be very happy that it does not allow a zoom view. However, it can be harder to distinguish friend from foe and spotting ground targets is not as easy as on a monitor, but as I think I have said before I think that this is more realistic!

It seems that this issue is connected to the HUD overlay. So whenever the ‘i’ key is presse, the FPS drops by 60%. The HUD feature is also responsible for showing updates on the briefing map. Like radar updates, personal position, aircraft seen by other players (position) , airfield under attack color flashing, and so on. It is not deal-breaker, but I need to enable or disable it every time I need the Briefing map (‘o’-key).

Written a review of the VR features :slight_smile:

Nice write up OD… makes it even better reason to get one

Stevie

Be a man…fly without that pish turned on :slight_smile:

Det staves: Pis! :rolleyes:

Lol…I have nae idea whit ye typed .

Rats - still getting lots of juddering and the occasional CTD in VR with 2.009.

V frustrating as flying with VR in BoS is blinking fantastic.

Tried the fixes on the Il-2 forum (adding some text in SteamVR) but still problem won’t go away. Too many devices (HOTAS, pedals etc) on USB hub/circuit drawing power away from Rift/sensor I wonder?

It is the same in english :slight_smile:

You have the Rift plugged in to a USB hub? I’d avoid that as much as possible - even my Track IR didn’t like that at times.

“You have the Rift plugged in to a USB hub? I’d avoid that as much as possible - even my Track IR didn’t like that at times.”

Nah - not an external hub. Meant internal USB on same circuit or close together. Apparently from what I read on Oculus Reddit that other hardware (eg HOTAS) may be drawing power and cause juddering.