BIG Change, have a look a our near future!

Dear @51Squadron and @41wing pilots

and to all pilots and friends, hello!

Through high waves and calmer seas, EAF is still making its way in the continuously evolving world of online simulation. Being clear that this forum is a golden treasure, with all the history folded beneath thousands of posts, documents and stories, we decided to take a step further in the direction of making everyday life of EAF members easier in terms of operative activities and voice communications, while also increasing EAF visibility and accountability towards the online flightsim community.

This is why we worked for a few weeks in a restyling, renewal and reorganization of our Discord server.
Yes, for those unaware of it, EAF has got a Discord server since quite a long time, but it’s been used - till now - mainly as a mirror of the forum.

Now, we would like to - gradually - switch to Discord for those kind of comms which require a direct, instant approach. This includes:

• Organization of routine activities (i.e. Monday and Thursday nights, extemporary activities between members)
  • Discussions about more or less flight-sim related topics that are more “chat” than structured articles. Articles, guides and training materials (being a non-exhaustive list) will continue to stay on the Forum, mirrored on dedicated Discord channels through automated functions
  • Sharing of screenshots and media
  • Voice communications, because of better quality and future unavailability of a TeamSpeak server

Further, more detailed posts and guides will come to make everything clearer about our server and the general Discord use.

In the meanwhile please come, take a look and give your feedbacks about the new EAF Discord Server using the following link!

Discord

Join the EUROPEAN AIR FORCE Discord Server!

Check out the EUROPEAN AIR FORCE community on Discord - hang out with 60 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

We’re looking forward to see and interact with you there.
See everyone of you soon in the virtual skies of EAF!

Cheers!

1 Like

Remember, any post on Discord should be consider perishable, it can be impossible to find in a couple of weeks (much like posts on Facebook). So suitable for things that is interesting now/the coming week etc, but not so suitable for things that might be useful to someone in a couple of months, or years. The later should go on the forum (as should you if you’re looking for something that is a less time sensitive).

Now I just have to remember what my login details for Discord on my phone is (got a new phone yesterday).

Hi Mikke, in addition to the information provided, Discord has recently introduced a new feature that effectively allows users to utilize Forum functionalities on its platform.

moreover, each “chat channel”, allows to start a thread for quick reference and keep things organized by topic ( a user can also subscribe to it for easy access)
This is our DCS channel with two thread started.

another important feature is the “pinned messages”
example on ED Server:

If you scroll our Discord you’ll find several channels both “Chat” and “Forum” style.

Yeah, I have seen that they have added the function, but at the same time I remember our first forum (that we moved away from around the first big reorganization when I took over as C/O), and how it became unaccessible and finally disappeared, without a good way to export the data from it.
What I’m saying is that we shouldn’t count on Discord being around forever. Might not matter all that much, we might all be dead before that happens anyway. :skull:

No matter, I expect us to move over to Discord for voice comms anyway, so it will be a important means of communication either way.

Hello Mikke. Yes, it’s our intention to keep the forum as the place where all the “persistent” info (docs, guides, statements, etc…) should stay and remain. Discord is perfect for instant and short-term communication and discussions, but shouldn’t be considered an archive.

To help this being well clear, we’d like to set up a series of “mirror” channels - similar to the ones we already have - with a two way interaction with the forum. We’re working on this, but it’s definitely in the plans.

Iba

1 Like