The Everest story…long post.

If you’re in a hurry here’s the essence:

So what could be learned?

If I had bought standard memories with relaxed timings I would most probably never had the problem…
If your computer are instable…you might NOT need to buy, new memories (even if Memtest tells you so) or bigger PSU…
Check your memory Voltage settings!!!

You can find Everest here http://www.lavalys.com/

For you who have all time in the world and want to know why I’m not been flying for 6 month, you start here :stuck_out_tongue:

Since the beginning of this summer I have had lots of problem with my computer.

I all started with the movement from one place to another, new ADSL connection (I used HomePlug to distribute ADSL in my home) and a new better and quieter PSU and a lot more (I was about to get the perfect setup).

Well since then my comp havn’t been stable, spontanious reboots etc but I have not been able to find the cause…and flying has been close to zero.

About two month ago I started to build a comp to a friend of mine, but when trying to install the system, the new computer went into BSOD…
I used MemTest 1.27 and found out that both pair of the Corair XMS512, CL2-2-2-5 was faulty. So I took half of my memory from my comp (Corair XMS512, CL2-3-3-7) and put into my friends machine, they worked (Memtest proved it as well).

So now I new that my memories were ok, so they were not causing the problems on my own computer.

I sent the faulty memories back and two weeks later I had the replacment…they were faulty as well…sent’em back…got replacement…faulty again…Memtest said…
I could not belive that 6 out 6 hi-quality memory-banks could be damaged…so I started to look elsewere.

By this time a collegue told me about Everest a little application who tells you every little thing about your computer status…I tried it and saw that I even could see Voltage that my memories (the old ones) had, 2.58V…and they were running at CL2.5-3-3-8.

2.58V sounded low to me…I though that I read somewhere that 2.65V is what I should have…
I called the supplier and they said that my old ones should have 2.65V and the new ones should have 2.75V… and I said
– How come that the Bios in AutoMode just gives 2.6V? (2.58)…and he said
– Well, very often the bios fails in reading out the SPD-info from the memories, if so it goes to default which in you case are 2.6V…

Manualy (in Bios) I did set the Voltage to 2.65V (and 2.75V for the new ones) and off course my and my friends computer now runs perfect with the right Voltage.

So what could be learned?

If I had bought standard memories with relaxed timings I would most probably never had the problem…
If your computer are instable…you might NOT need to buy, new memories (even if Memtest tells you so) or bigger PSU…

Check your memory Voltage settings before you do anything else!!!

Here is a nice program that will help you: Everest 1.51
http://www.lavalys.com/

great to know your problems are solved Spidey…so can we start shooting you down again in a weekly and fashion manner?

:smiley:

and thx for the link, Ill download it at home

Corsair recommend upping my RAM sticks voltage to 2.7V from 2.6V

Spider you’ve reminded me to check the BIOS since I last installed a BIOS update. Host-freezes in FB :slight_smile:

Ming

@Nepe, I don’t hope so…being shot down I mean:p

@Ming, “2.7V from 2.6V” where did you found that, because I had a hard time finding that info…as I wrote in my post.

In the Corsair forums Spider, there is a guy called RamGuy who helps with Corsair information

Official Corsair Memory Support Forum

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/

(Scroll down)

Sorry mate, but you didn’t ask me before or I would have told you about it

Ming

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile: