Infor request: military engine maintenance

Can any of you military or ex-military types (or people who know) fill me in on how engine maintenance is calculated in the military. I know that traditionally, you have engine and airframe life (and vehicle life?) in a book (it’s the ‘400’ in the RAF) and after a certain number of hours you have minor maintenance / refurbishment and then major and so on.

However, I know that in the civil airliner world, engine life is calculated in cycles with one cycle being one flight from engine on to engine off. I think that’s because most airline flights are quite predictable in their operating regime.

However, the same companies - RR, GE, P&W - make civil and military engines so is there now a standardised measure of engine life in cycles or do the military keep with a life-by-hours approach?

Sorry about the long post, this is for work. Any ideas, thoughts etc. welcome on aircraft engines, tanks or whatever. Trying to build up a picture here :slight_smile:

For the Challanger 2, the main maintanence is called the 12b (bravo). Its the yearly inspection when the engine comes out the tank and every thing gets a good serviceing and cleaning. Other than that we just use it till it breaks;).
Any other bits you need about CR2 servicing just ask as i’m based at the Armoured Corp training garrison :slight_smile:

Engine & airframe TBO (time-between-overhaul) are reported in the Aircraft’s Manual, which is obviously supervised by the Air Force Technical Command for their own aircraft.

Main differences between Civil & Military Aviation are:
[ul]
[li]No deregulation in Military Air Forces, up to now…:rolleyes:[/li][*]TBO changes to reduced values and different Procedure Sets, according to the use of Military or Afterburner Power (or extreme maneuvers close to Flight Envelope Limits, for airframes)[/ul]

Cheers, Dan. I suspected it might be a bit more straight forward for tanks. Is the Chally destined to get the MTU 1,500hp jobbie do you know?

MonsTTer, that makes sense. So you have your spanking new Eurofighter and the manual says EJ200’s to be given minor overhall every 500 and major ever 2,000 hours as standard but in case of extended peacekeeping deployment this should be 4,00 and 1,500 and in major military ops 300 and 1,000 hours?

Do you happen to know / guess at a rule of thumb calculation for the effects of various Proceedure sets - oh and as far as you know it’s all still done in hours? :slight_smile:

The ATDU (Army Trials and Development Unit) just up the road are trying out new RPG protection and a British version of a Humve CROWS system but fitted on a tank.Havn’t heard of a new engine as the Perkins CV12 is still doing the job well but i will have to ask my “contact”:wink:
From what i can remember the MTU 883 is already fitted to export Challenger 2e’s

Dan

Interesting. I know it was fitted to the export version, but there’s tendency towards standardisation so I thought it might get fitted to our ones as well.

Surprised about the CROWS, I thought you lot were all getting the Selex Enforcer?

Thats probably what it is called…it just looks like a CROWs system;)

Yes, it all depends on configuration and flight envelope:
[ul]
[li]Time flown;[/li][li]How many minutes at full A/B?[/li][li]How many minutes at full Military?[/li][li]How many hours flown with a specified payload? (this for airframes)[/li][li]How many seconds at a certain point of the aircraft’s flight envelope?[/ul]All these parameters are recorded, and consequently TBO is determined.[/li]
As an example, let’s think about RAF and IAF Tornados during Desert Storm (Iraq #1): carrying a certain bombload, plus external fuel tanks (Italians were flying a long way from Al Dhafra, Abu Dabi) determines of course a limitation in your aircraft’s Flight Envelope.

When flying over high-SAM-and-Flak-density targets, however, it happened quite often that, as soon as the first “THUD!” of bullets hitting the aluminium airframe was heard, or the Radar Warning System ringing like hell, Pilots said “What the F…I’m not going to get killed to spare maybe some TBO”…

Horrifying vibrations shook the aircraft (critical wingload), while our Pilots struggled to get out in the shortest time possible…and the fuel needle running counterclockwise worryingly fast…:eek:

What do you think…these Tornados had to be maintained differently from those used only in AirShows? :smiley:

P.S. being the crappiest EAF Pilot of all times, I suppose it will not be considered “showing off”, if I remind you I’m an Aerospace Dr. Engineer…:rolleyes:

Just asked my Dad (Fleet Air Arm)…he said the sea king and merlins are done on hours.
Dan

Thanks, chaps, very good info (oops, just saw my sp). Any other thoughts you have please post them :slight_smile:

Edit: MonsTTer, quite the British self-effacing style you have - I love it :smiley: