How does DCG work? Warning, LARGE images

I’m posting this in public so that hopefully Alpha who flew with us last night can have a look. Alpha, you seem to know about the DCG mechanics, if you can give us a few hints as to why we were not pushing the line forward in the North. You mentioned about there being no route for tanks or supplies?

Keets too, you’re our resident expert, if you can give any tips on pushing this small campaign forward that would be most appreciated.

Other questions have come up:
What difference does it make attacking airfields?
If we destroy flak does it respawn in the next mission?
The supply points are full of stationary vehicles, does it make any difference to destroy them or is only moving vehicles that matter?
How far do convoys travel between each day? (We kept knocking out supply and tank columns at the gorge but more kept reappearing. Did they travel all the way from their supply point to the gorge in one day between missions?)

So, here are the ground object movements from the last few missions. The capture of the airfield at E3 on the 8th shows some interesting developments between tanks and supplies.

We haven’t flow the mission on the 9th yet, that’s next. You’ll see our Matildas are pushing up the West side of the gorge :cool: but there is a lot of artillery in their way :eek:

A lot of convoys are missing in subsequent missions and I assume that’s because we destroyed them :banana:

(PS I hid the frontline markers in most images as it was really messy with them all showing, I had to photoshop out the mess for the only 2 pics that I kept them in, just to show where the line was)

The way DCG works is that the template files have a front, supply routes and roads “defined” in the template.

Can I suggest you download and read Tailspin’s excellent DCG document. Its got a better explanation of how DCG works with the templates and the files you need to look at than I can ever hope to cover in a forum post :slight_smile:

Around page 36 is what you need…

Checking it out, thanks Keets.

I’m getting the impression that for all the movements and destruction effects to work properly then it’s better not to specify exactly the squadrons and aircraft numbers and just leave it to the database to give you what you get (eg if the enemy destroys some stationary aircraft then that squadron next mission will have less flyable).

But them again, I also like the way you recommended setting up the squadrons and numbers so that we do know what planes we will get each time which is perfect for training purposes.

I might be reading it wrong, still, there’s a lot going on.