Help with Oculus Rift S

@EAF51_RomanPolansky Jimmi and Cappe suggested that I talk to you about my probs with Oculs Rift. As it is, it is impossible to dogfight.

The cockpit is clear and crisp, actually yesterday I thought it was improved from last time?

Flying in formation is ok, thought it was jumpy when flying low (I have a RTX 2070 Super, Ryzen 5 3600)

But the real problem is in dogfight. First, its almost impossible to recognise the type of plane or his attitude/heading until he is less than 200m away. Second, the picture of it becomes double (seems like a biplane :))

The IPD is set correctly (I checked with an oculist)

Any help appreciated, thanks

2 Likes
1 Like

ok type of plane and his aspect/attitude is a Vr problem and also a DCS problem! It get’s a little better with higher end VR which supports higher resolutions. For example i got attacked some times head on, i had still to recognize the pane that he already had opened fire on me! That’s the worst case scenario due to the high closure rate. Things improved for me a little by moving from odissey (same resolution as rift s) to reverb.

Aspect attitude is also a LOD problem. The level of detail at some distances in DCS imho lacks something. Same situation in IL2 battle of Stalingrad is much clear!
Note personally with the right settings i see black dots far away, but i don’t have a clear 3d perception and i see them move up amd down and left and right but it needs a lot of guess to understand their real aspect. When they get closer DCS start to apply camo colours and reflections. Black dots become greyish and start to blend with terrain or even sky and it’s much harder to track them. Many people, both 2d and Vr, often loose them just to reacquire contact when they get a little closer and bigger.
Once closer is much better to understand planes aspects. But i would say i have grasp of aspect at 500m or even more… 200m is a little short. Probably my Vr and being used to this helps a lot!

last technologies like Motion reprojection and Oculus ASW asynchronous space warp have you see double contacts.
to avoid motion sickness Vr try to keep fps high!
Usually when it can’t reach 90fps it tries to drop to 45 and guess every second frame. This works great for many games and the landscape but while in fligt sim and dogfight it struggle and often draws 2 bandits or better one and a shadow of a trailing one…

solutuon is trying forcong off motion reprojection/asw or lowering settings to keep fps up!
also amd trick works wonder - there’s a thread explaining how to seti it! you’ll get a lot of fps loosing a little quality

Thanks guys!

So, things to try:

1. Turn ASW off… wait a few seconds… turn it back on
  2. forcong off motion reprojection/asw or lowering settings to keep fps up

what is that AMD trick, Jimmi?

i went from 60 to 90 fps while flying high (10-15k not stratosphere)
and with better far bandits spotting with a little graphic quality degradation

imho worth it!

ASW might be the cause of your problem, it effectively halves the fps but makes better frame times so the overal image is smooth, the thing is timings between one lense and the other aren’t correct so it makes fast moving objects become fuzzy (ghosting). I have practically the same rig, and i run quest 1. i think you should try to put ipd to maybe 1.2 but not more, even if your pc can handle it (it introduces super sampling which makes dots smaller, so i wouldn’t raise it too much) also lower your graphics settings, i run everything on low except for textures (cockpit readability), everything else is on the lowest possible setting, even shadows, it makes the sim look like shit but it’s good for performance and helps with alleviating ghosting introduced by ASW.
Also remember that it depenends a lot where you’re flying, in singleplayer there shouldn’t be many problems but on SoW (or any other server) at high pop your cpu can’t handle unpacking all the data that is downloaded, this creates stutter. Sometimes, if you see a server with population higher then 40, just go play something else or buy a 5800x (at least).
Recognition is a skill that comes in many different ways. It’s true, recognition in VR sucks but thats just how it is, i don’t know you so i don’t know how good you are so for the sake of redundancy i’ll just explain everything. I’ll start with a very easy example: imagine you’re over Sain’t Pierre du Mont A/F, you see a dot to the south, your alt, the dot is over the Cerisy forest which is a big arrow shaped forest which points at St.Lo. looking at it’s surroundings like nearest clouds and the ground below it, you can tell if it’s moving left or right so you already know if it’s HDG E or W. Distance is a bit more tricky, the only thing which can help you here is experience, when you fly a lot, you can kinda tell how far is the dot, (plus in VR it’s easier then on pc) based on how pronounced it is (dot opacity and such). The easiest thing is when you see a plane over Cerisy forest heading E, and judging by it’s surrounding you can tell it’s climbing fast, also it’s not moving sideways more then upwards so it’s very possibly a K4 who is trying to side climb you. But thats a very easy example. Otherwise you kinda have to know the map and where would Allies and germans fly, how would they “behave in enemy territory” and so on.
When trying to recognise a bird you must look for typical features: 109 is slimmer then everything else no metter how you look at it, spitfire is close form the side but it has a massive half circle looking rudder. From above or below the spit has massive wings so it shouldn’t be an issue. From behind or in front is the most difficult, the only thing is spitfires wings are bent upwards sliglty more then 109 wings, 109 wings are a bit “slimmer” (not really but kinda). Mustang has small wings compared to fuselage and they are right in the middle of the plane instead of slightly in front like most fighters, slightly tall trapezium like rudder and the most visible thing: “the belly” - radiator openings on the bottom of the plane, that’s the first thing that i look for. Dora is slighlty bigger then 109 so it’s easier not to confuse it with the spit, so from the side you have to look at a the front area, the engine part looks like a ractangle, it doesn’t become much smaller at the end or much bigger near the cockpit, also it’s a long plane. The wings are usuall Fw wings so they look like prolonged squares at the ends, slim but bigger then 109’s. Anton and Jug are easy to confuse with one another, they both have stubby noses and fat bodies, while the Anton is smaller, it’s kinda difficult to judge given everchanging differences in distance, i usually look for the colour, Fw has very unique bright gray colour which is easy to identify. The wings on the Anton are typical Fw wings like in Doras case so squares at the end. So it’s easy to see if it’s a Jug or a Fw from above cuz the Jug has massive rounded wings.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, many good info in there.

About ASW, should I disable it completely?

What fps program do you use to show fps in game?

Totally unrelated, but ASW = Anti Submarine Warfare :rofl:

For FPS in DCS there’s the Ctrl-Pause IIRC, but the text is quite small and I have no idea how readable it is in VR.

I normally look if is present the engine intake to the left…

First test: lower almost all graphic settings to low, and IPD to 1.2 from 1.7. Result: much better fps, either 80 at high alt or 40 when low.

Second test: openvr fsr. Result: went into a 2vs2 dogfight. Still either 80 or 40 fps, but the ghost planes are gone! now I can definitely dogfight :slight_smile:

Next test:ASW off

3 Likes

ASW off made no change at all

Should I keep it on or off?

Sooop happy you can finally come back flying!!!

oh, i never pay attention to it, way too small to notice at bigger distances

try disabling it, if you run through steam vr it’s in the steamvr settings, if you go directly through oculus app, try finding oculus debug tool in oculus/support/diagnostics and disabling it from there, if there is no change, then no worries))