He Brigstock, chuck me over your water cooling !!

'Cos this chip would fly on that baby ! :wink:

Part of my re-structuring to fund my HDTV and Xbox360 expenditure involved selling the X1900XTX and buying the superb value, but still excellent performer, the 256mb X1800XT 256mb (just £170 inc vat at overclockers for a fantastically capable card ;)) and I recently sold my Dual core opteron 175 (2.2ghz stock was clocked @ 2.6ghz 100% stable on a stock Opty DC HSF) and buying the singe core Opteron 148 (stock 2.2ghz).

Damn this chip is nice …

Not quite prime stable, a bit of WC and that would be easily achievable I think :wink:

As it is I am settling for 2.9ghz prime stable on the stock Opteron DC HSF :wink:

Not a bad system for half the price my other GFX/CPU was :banana:

Sorry Majik, cooling wont make your system stable. The idea behind watercooling is that it gives you the option to run at high V-Core without frying your CPU. If you can’t get it stable at that speed and V-core you’ve pretty much run out of road. My guess would be that to get it stable at those speeds you’ll need a considerable jump up on the V-Core and bearing in mind you already passed 1.5, you’ll need some hefty watercooling on it, if not phase to stop from cooking it.

But then again, you don’t really want my opinion, you just want to show off, you lucky bugger:D

2.9 is a good O/C on those 148’s, especially the newer ones. You make me jealous. I’m topping out at 2.75 @ 1.4 V-Core on a SD 3700 and no matter what V-Core FSB/ Multi I put on it it wont prime past 2.75. But 2.75 is good for a chip costing 140.

Oh contrare mr Brigs … it can make it stable for 2 reasons, one of which you mentioned - allows more volts, another due to the lower temps.
The fact it will do pretty much everything except prime (failed after 1 1/2 hrs @ 3.03) means it aint far off …

You are right though, I am chuffed and had to shout about it :wink:

I did initially buy a 3700SD, but it was a pile of crap TBH, wouldn’t even get into windows @ 2750, ran hot and wouldn’t allow my memory to run T1.
Thats found a new home were it can relax and live life @ stock :wink:

I am not sure I subscribe to this bedding/burning in malarkey TBH, but hey maybe I will try again after a week to see :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d be suprised the jump in V-Core once you start failing prime. It may take another 0.1v+ to get it stable, and then it’s motherboard specific in what max volts you can use. Most stop at 1.6. Which even on water would make me feel nervous. Thats a lot over over volting on a waferthin CPU like the A64 based chips. Watercooling is only as good as the components you use. To really make an impact at those Volts and the temp it will produce expect to pay loads. My basic set up keeps my CPU @ 37 idle 47 load. I have a GPU block in there aswell which makes a huge difference on a single 120 rad, but nether the less I’ve seen people with freezer 64 post similar temps. Albeit without the bling :smiley:

I’ve just had a coffee and a good think about your system.
.<bottom lip protuding on> BITCH </off>

At least I’ve got a PC based HDTV setup aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

Aye quite possibly, pushing 1.6v is helping, but the rise in temps is concerning, so that it for now, would be interesting to see if water helps though.

@ 2.9 I am sitting around 50 load (prime95 max heat & power consumption test) on this warm day, and its happy as larry there so I will count my blessings …

Your PC spec has to be pretty close now ?

Not far off
1800XT 512. Which helps at high resolutions like 1920x1200 :slight_smile:
3dMark can go to 10000, but I’ve backedit off to the mid 9500’s to stay on the safe side.

I did initially buy a 3700SD, … and live life @ stock
Is this a common problem with the 3700SD?
I run one, and it is very unhappy trying anything off stock

No some of the late 2005 ones weren’t very good, but the first batches from this year have been quite good. Mine is rock solid at 2.75

Some pot luck too, as I understand it a lot of failed dual core chips have the failed core disabled and then they are sold as 3700’s … that might explain a lot :o

Thanks, my 3700SD was bought in August 2005 - I presume that counts as late last year