Connection dropping somewhere in cyberspace

I’ve narrowed it down to that Sun Java being awkward :slight_smile: or this unexpected message re: my connection

What I’m wondering is (pre PF reinstall) - does this Internet Connection Sharing thing mess up my system maybe Simon? What I mean is: I only ever used to get the ‘Internet now connected…’ message once when broadband-connecting at the start of an online session. Now I get it going into online games. Pops up here and there hmmm so I’m thinking that if it’s saying I am now connected - maybe I wasn’t connected until that message pops up… but I didn’t ask to be discoed in the first place it’s got a bloody mind of its own :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to report that I did activate ICS at some point mid-ISP-swap and when I was trying everything just in case. Looking at things rarely helps unless you’ve got the analytical grey cells batch going along in parallel with all this staring into space thinking about curry later. Learn by doing I’ll have you know mate :slight_smile:

This Java thing cropped up when I got a hard-freeze on the desktop when trying to look at some Java stub somewhere while checking this ICS lead (I have 48 hrs yep lol) - and such a solid crash so I’m on to something, I’d installed Sun Java latest to er, well you know :slight_smile:

So this ICS thing please any help please I might have mentioned that before. Just then keep up :slight_smile:

My alleged thinking is that I need to disable the rather reluctant Sharing Thing and I’m ready to go but not before checking in - yes it’s slowly getting through the bonecase. First, do no harm. <pause> That could be proctologists. Anyway I’m stepping away from the keyboard and not touching anything until further notice. Small but heroic cheer from Mrs Mington at that point yep :slight_smile:

I seem to be one-step-removed from a primary connection which is worrying. Unless it’s all ok, you’ll know - ta mate!

Could be a full XP install now the Profiler thing under XP2’s been sorted. Might do that anyway <looks at cloudburst outside window> :slight_smile:

Mington

Network Connections or ‘The Mess’ as it would later become known

Is this still happening?

You don’t need to use ICS as you have a router. It shouldn’t be configured…

I’ll have a butchers in the morning… suitcases and dirty washing everywhere, got to get my batman to sort my kit out. (err - no dear that isn’t you) :slight_smile:

You don’t need to use ICS as you have a router. It shouldn’t be configured…

Yes I thought so Keets this is what I’m working towards, I remember you saying that I don’t need it - it’s how to detach it is what I’m after :slight_smile:

Hosting - no problems, no discos: that’s the weird thing…

Might do an XP fresh install soon but I’d like to dump this ICS and get a LAN connection 1 and that, too untidy :slight_smile:

Ta mate

Ming

Ming, it is not necessary to reinstall XP for ICS removing. Just unclick it’s option.
Also it may be good idea to check net throughput by for instance “Ping Plotter” program. (you may find it in Google). Maybe it is not your problem but your internet provider.

P.S. We may try to 1vs1 combat. I may host it and we will see much more.

Assuming that’s your boss machine…

What are the settings when you click the settings button at the picture below?

You need to disable ICS, you don’t need it. Its done by unchecking it in the properties window.

does this Internet Connection Sharing thing mess up my system maybe Simon? What I mean is: I only ever used to get the ‘Internet now connected…’ message once when broadband-connecting at the start of an online session.

If everything is working as it should be, your router should be logging you into your broadband service. The only message you should get would be something like this when you power you PC on:

You are using a LAN connection to access the internet and don’t need to set up an internet connection in Windows. During the install of XP, I usually tell Bill to sod off I’ll do it later thanks.

You don’t need to do a clean install, if you think back, its the clean install that got you into this. :slight_smile:

To try and get you out of the mess your in need a picture of the settings button that I requested above. Once you post that, I’ll be able to put some instructions on how to remove it. (just to be sure).

The 1394 stuff is firewire connections in your various cards (sound and motherboard probably). You can uninstall those connections, though its not essential.

I’d uninstall the Nvidia net adaptor. This wont renumber the LAN connection though it shouldn’t make any difference what the number is.

I would right click on the Marvell Yukon Lan connection 3 and make sure both the Show icon in notification area and Notify me when this connection has no connectivity options are checked. This will display a nice LAN connection icon in the task bar.

I’m sorry to report that I did activate ICS at some point mid-ISP-swap and when I was trying everything just in case.

I think I did say somewhere about having no need to touch anything on your setup apart from the ISP login and password in your router config… :rolleyes:

This Java thing cropped up when I got a hard-freeze on the desktop when trying to look at some Java stub somewhere while checking this ICS lead (I have 48 hrs yep lol) - and such a solid crash so I’m on to something, I’d installed Sun Java latest to er, well you know :slight_smile:
I think you’re changing too much stuff in the wrong area. Installing the latest JRE (Java runtime environment) from Sun wont have an effect as you aren’t using any java apps when looking at your net config. You’ll only break something else… :wink:

Anyway I’m stepping away from the keyboard and not touching anything until further notice.
If only you’d done this initially… :slight_smile:

Post the required info and I’ll hopefully sort it out. :slight_smile:

You need to disable ICS, you don’t need it. Its done by unchecking it in the properties window

Hi mate - I need a pointer sorry, I can’t see the check anywhere to uncheck. Properties only has Settings and then a config page. So Properties of which object please can I find ICS uncheck?

What are the settings when you click the settings button at the picture below?

An Advanced Settings dialog/Services tab to select stuff but nothing in there

‘Select the services running on your network that Internet users can access’ - just an Add button but I’m not falling for that one :slight_smile:

If everything is working as it should be, your router should be logging you into your broadband service. The only message you should get would be something like this when you power you PC on:

There are TWO connection icons in my tray Simon: the 100.0Mbps connection as in your shot thanks - and the Internet connection icon <gulp>

5.5Mbps connected in the popup hovering over the Internet connection in the tray

You are using a LAN connection to access the internet and don’t need to set up an internet connection in Windows. During the install of XP, I usually tell Bill to sod off I’ll do it later thanks.

A bubl lights up somewhere in cyberspace… Sounds right that does, elegant yes and I do remember turning on ICS. Look I was desperate mate with all that Bulldog business which I transcended mostly. These loose ends chewed by the Bulldog :slight_smile:

Ironically Bulldog is now on the blower asking if I’m ok with everything and he’s looking up if there’s a log to say that the drop was at their end - and capping he’s mentioning but first - my end sorted :slight_smile:

You don’t need to do a clean install, if you think back, its the clean install that got you into this.

LMAO yep and you know who I blame for this fiasco. Majik usually. Lovely shoulders :slight_smile:

To try and get you out of the mess your in need a picture of the settings button that I requested above

I am sorry applicant. The post of Mrs Ming is currently filled :slight_smile:

Phew :slight_smile:

[b]The 1394 stuff is firewire connections in your various cards (sound and motherboard probably). You can uninstall those connections, though its not essential.

I’d uninstall the Nvidia net adaptor. This wont renumber the LAN connection though it shouldn’t make any difference what the number is.

I would right click on the Marvell Yukon Lan connection 3 and make sure both the Show icon in notification area and Notify me when this connection has no connectivity options are checked. This will display a nice LAN connection icon in the task bar[/b]

Roger wilco on all that ta mate. Will postpone the XP re-install - really appreciate your help and time spent on this stuff!

Ming, it is not necessary to reinstall XP for ICS removing. Just unclick it’s option.

This is the problem Jirka yes - finding exactly how to remove ICS. Its option is hiding. Which incidentally Keets will get if he keeps rolling his eyes ironically at a superior officer. This is dumb insolence - an RAF thing :slight_smile:

Also it may be good idea to check net throughput by for instance “Ping Plotter” program. (you may find it in Google)

I’m using a NetMeter but it is complicated :slight_smile:

Maybe it is not your problem but your internet provider

Perhaps it will turn out to be my connection is dropping at my ISP end yes, Keets is on it and he always gets us up and running again - I will eliminate user error at Ming’s End first of course before considering an ISP problem - professional me :slight_smile:

P.S. We may try to 1vs1 combat. I may host it and we will see much more

Yes when I have sorted this problem but your Training Officers would like to see you first I am sure :slight_smile:

Ming

OI !!!
I dun nuffin guvnor :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly so Majik - and I keep telling you that. It’s my end mate :slight_smile:

Ming

Ok, what is under the properties tab in the above?

What happens if you click Disconnect?

It looks like you’ve used the XP internet connection wizard.

Under the control panel, select the internet options click the connections tab and post that picture as well.

It should look like this:

and not one rolling eyes :slight_smile:

I truly do not deserve this level of comrade support :slight_smile:

Ok, what is under the properties tab in the above?

Back to this one: Settings then a blank 'Select the Services…" dialog as before…

What happens if you click Disconnect?

Ok saving this first :slight_smile:

Hitting Disconnect and opening up a new browser at Google gives dead connection

Then Connect makes things work again, connected ok

It looks like you’ve used the XP internet connection wizard.

It’s me mate I’m capable of any weirdness sorry. I mention 8Mb connection in my defence :slight_smile:

Under the control panel, select the internet options click the connections tab and post that picture as well.

And then…

It should look like this:

The jury is out :slight_smile:

Full XP reinstall in prospect wait for it wait for it you just know it’s on for tomorrow. The seaside can wait it’ll still be there Friday :slight_smile:

Ming

Chaps one suggestion might be to use Remote Assistance. Click Start then on Help and Support and at the top right you have the option to invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance. Used it a few time to connect to friends and family PCs via the internet. Send an email with the invitation or use Windows messenger to start the take over process.

You called it right the other night Swoop. Of course I have boot drive images I clean forgot :slight_smile:

Thanks mate on that mounting images thing too yep so I should be able to retreive anything that goes missing I’ve got PF in the boot drive image :slight_smile:

I’m trying a June image and then re-installing the lot if no go, thanks all!

Ming

Come back with me now in time… <echo to fade> :slight_smile:

That seems to have worked. No ‘You are now connected to the Internet’ popup now Keets, just the LAN connected icon in the tray: now looks like your how-it-should-look version exactamente and cheers and beer one day mate!

Caution yes of course, could be lots of things possibly going bad: but I’m much happier with a sparser Network Connections list. That scary MAC Bridge thing didn’t get a look in this time. Nuked the b*gger. It’s an option. :slight_smile:

I must thank you again too Swoop for reminding me about this ACRONIS :slight_smile: boot drive imager that you told me about in the first place lol and so many nightmares with Norton/Drive Image <spit!> I was on the point of giving up on boot drive imagers… quite Restored me faith don’t you know old keypad :slight_smile:

Acronis is very solid mate yes quite right. I like computers to turn the usual whining on its head :slight_smile:

Ming

I can stand down then… great. :slight_smile:

Tomorrow will tell Keets :slight_smile:

I am reasonably confident that all will be ok. Feels right and that’s usually a good sign <juju beads rattling>

Ta mate!

Ming

Haven’t had to reinstall XP since I built this PC back in April 2004, just used Acronis a few times and back up and running in about 20 minutes. It was my Server team Leader and helpful friend of a long time who pointed me the it’s direction. I owe him more than a few beers too :slight_smile:

Keets for (hopeful) closure

After a disconnection Majik said “Why not try your NV LAN connection?” He’s a good lad isn’t he thanks M :slight_smile:

I did the disable/enable thing and switched over the hardware- and TS kept working during the switchover. Barvellous :slight_smile:

Reconnected back to HL and touch wood no boots during a mission so far. In shock obviously here thanks all :slight_smile:

Ming