BT Voyager 2100 router the little git

Nightmare comes calling again :slight_smile:

Since er, something happened a while back I haven’t noticed that the router’s admin is not available. If I go Advanced settings it tells me-

You need to supply a valid user name and password.

I can’t get at that dialog where the logon fields admin and admin should go in - I’ve reset the router

My Connection logon works ok with just my BT broadband username, no password needed to connect ok

I vaguely remember :slight_smile: getting a password changed at some point that might have been Builldog - but anyway I should be able to access the router from its admin page at http://192.168.1.1/ and hit the Advanced button and get challenged there for my user logon but I just get shut out with that error message…

Thanks for any help chaps, all working ok Internet wise I just can’t get at those Advanced functions to set up port forwarding and my LAN kit. And I want to be getting on with something else ain’t it always the way :slight_smile:

All working ok on my main PC so I’m doing an Acronis backup to a networked computer, running into this one - all connections look ok.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : boss
    Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-FB-C6-F2
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 23 April 2006 14:00:37
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 April 2006 14:00:37

Router: 192.168.1.1
Main PC: 192.168.1.2
Second PC: 192.168.1.3

-is the router setup normally when everything’s working. Something looks wrong there but I can’t put my finger on it :slight_smile:

Ming

Ah the LAN PC is accessible and the connection is working ok somehow even though I can’t see it from ipconfig /all

Ming

[b]Router: 192.168.1.1
Main PC: 192.168.1.2
Second PC: 192.168.1.3

-is the router setup normally when everything’s working. Something looks wrong there but I can’t put my finger on it[/b]

No its fine, step away from the router.

Don’t you even think about it. :slight_smile:

Try login: admin - password: password

If you’ve factory defaulted your router settings, aside from issuing potatoes, your password and all your settings therein will have been reset. :slight_smile:

As your IP addy’s on your PC were hard coded in the TCP/IP settings, your router is working ok, you might have a job hosting though because all the port forwarding will have been wiped. (assuming you did do a factory default wipe)

Don’t you even think about it.

lol I been sussed again

No I haven’t touched a bloody thing.

Oh wait… what’s this button for?

Hmm doesn’t seem to do anything.

Hello? :slight_smile:

[b]Try login: admin - password: password

If you’ve factory defaulted your router settings, aside from issuing potatoes, your password and all your settings therein will have been reset. [/b]

I would log in if I could get at the UserID/Password dialog Keets that’s the problem mate. I can use admin/admin now I’ve reset the router but I can’t get the logon dialog to come up. I just get the mildly moronic “I cannot do that Dave. You need to log on to do that. Cuh you humans with your simple intelligences”

The bloody thing is saying “Ah no can do - you must log on as the Adminstrator to do that” when I go to the Advanced settings. I ask for a logon and it says “You can’t do that until you’ve logged on”

Made in China remember. Tested in bloody Albania </Alf Garnett> :slight_smile:

As your IP addy’s on your PC were hard coded in the TCP/IP settings, your router is working ok, you might have a job hosting though because all the port forwarding will have been wiped. (assuming you did do a factory default wipe)

Hang about something’s coming through. Ectoplasm :slight_smile:

TCP/IP settings hmmm I used to know what those were once. Somewhere far away the bells were ringing a nightmarish accompaniment to four million brain cells a-popping :slight_smile:

Thanks mate I’ll do a bit more after flying tomorrow and look into those Network teepee effcee whatchamacallits I bet it’s them :slight_smile:

Ming

So demeaning isn’t it to see one’s a total moron Mother was right :slight_smile:

In a coda to the piece. Ahem.

Mrs Ming goes to pull the plug out and I jump in to close down Bouncer, switch to his display and there’s a ‘Someone’s been fiddling’ no stop mocking a ’ New device found’ popup

When I look at the device it’s yes you’ve guessed it and from the usual BT Voyager admin screen I can log on… what am I like

Only 7 people in the world know what an absolyute moron I am and you’re all on my going postal list should the need arise :slight_smile:

I rarely beg. No get real Ming there’s no end to it :slight_smile:

Keets mate I remember you [did this already twice who said that be quiet at the back] helped me out before on this router, you sent me on a er, settings list thing I had to follow over a large brandy - if it’s any help it was some text looked like Cyrillic and an image of a dead horse being flogged probably lol - and I wasn’t allowed to ask questions and when I finished I had to put on mittens and never touch the computer again. I think I’ve got that right.

Do you remember that

It’s happened again :slight_smile:

There is a theme here. Bumbling moronity correct.

If you’d listened to Count Arthur Strong like I invited you to this would all make perfect sense :slight_smile:

Ming

So you’re all sorted now then?

Or do you need the details of the port forwarding again? :slight_smile:

No I need the more basic Introduction to Networks mate :slight_smile:

The secondary machine has seized power it’s like Poland at our house

I have to set up the er,

That’s as far as I’ve got :slight_smile:

I have to tell the system that the Boss machine is 192.168.1.2
And Bouncer the secondary target is 192.168.1.3
The router being 192.168.1.1

Off the top of my head. You know you’re in trouble when you don’t need to look those IP’s up :slight_smile:

So if you could tell me please Keets the way to set those up I’d be very grateful mate. I can set port forwarding now I can see the router admin page but I would like to see the admin page from my main Boss machine… the whole thing looks disorganised. Monty wouldn’t like it :slight_smile:

TCP/IP settings could be how I set up these three IP’s and to set those I’d need to be in Network Connections is it?

Thanks ever so much Keets

Ming

Wasp had/have the same problem with his router, for some reason the secondary PC becomes the “boss machine” that is the only one that is possible to connect to the admin page on the router with. Bit confusing to why it does it like that…

I knew there was a reason I had this thread bookmarked. :slight_smile:

He comes through again - thanks Keets!

And thanks too Mikke yes it is confusing but we have other things in common maybe Wasp and me. We both like hitting those tempting “Hello what’s this for?” buttons :slight_smile:

We all know that I’ll be back Keets - I’m getting the apologies in early. Stop laughing while you polish the ‘Champion Fiddler’ cup :slight_smile:

Ming

On this subject, I recently had a problem hosting. I had 21000 open for machine xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (this PC) but found that it had been given a different address of xxx.xxx.xxx.7.

Now, my router acts as DHCP server and originally gave it the xxx.xxx.xxx.2 address - and to save mucking about, I have it set so the lease time is forever. So why did it change? And why does ipconfig /all give…

Lease Obtained…24 April 2006 19:29:56
Lease Expires…10 March 1905 13:01:40

On this subject, I recently had a problem hosting. I had 21000 open for machine xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (this PC) but found that it had been given a different address of xxx.xxx.xxx.7.

Now, my router acts as DHCP server and originally gave it the xxx.xxx.xxx.2 address - and to save mucking about, I have it set so the lease time is forever. So why did it change? And why does ipconfig /all give…

Lease Obtained…24 April 2006 19:29:56
Lease Expires…10 March 1905 13:01:40

The best way to ensure your IP address is to adjust your DCHP pool accordingly. I always leave at least 10-20 IP addresses before starting the DHCP pool. This gives me quite a few IP addresses (minus the router) to play with.

What I’m guessing happened with your setup PG, is the router didn’t understand the expiry time of the DHCP lease - you said forever but what is forever?, hence it terminated the lease and allocated the IP elsewhere. I’d guess you have other IP enabled devices on your network, which then took your IP addy you wanted allocated to your flying PC?

the router didn’t understand the expiry time of the DHCP lease - you said forever but what is forever?

Great, I got a metaphysical router. Now you mention it, I came back to the PC the other day and found that the router had logged on to Amazon and ordered a copy of “The Dialogues of Plato”. It explains a lot.