Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornet Flying

Default Re: Hornet Flying

The problem I have is changing SOI, I have default keyboard binding for that, but it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Think I need to try reminding it...

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

Wow case 3 takes balls to rely on the needles to the last few hundred feet !
    "Sit and spin the fire". Extract from Topsy Turvey Land, a poem by William Brighty Rands.
    "In the bar everyone knows what they should have done - the problem is in applying it in the heat of the action". F Barthe RIP

Phew, that was some interesting flying. I started by hosting my usual mission (all alone of course), and it went so and so, got shot down in my Hornet at least once, maybe twice actually, picked the Viggen after that to kill some boats, but as I launched my RB-15's DCS went into slideshow mode, framerate dropping more and more, I killed a ship, but by then my framerate was below 1, more like 5 s per frame, so I killed DCS to try to figure out what was causing it. Didn't figure it out, but Titan dropped in on the channel, so we had a little chat while I was trying to find what folders to empty to get a clean cache.

I finally found it, relaunched and flew a quick mission carrier take-off and landing in the Hornet (successfully, easier with full flaps I think), a quick take-off landing in the Spitfire (to rebuild Normandy map cache) my landing wasn't something I'm proud of, but I survived, and then back to hosting my normal mission.
    Took off again in the Hornet, managed to kill 5 enemy planes (and friendlies got the rest), landed (on land) and rearmed with Mavericks. I finally figured out how to change SOI (Right Alt, not Right Ctrl), but I still couldn't slew the Mavericks, but I still managed to lock them and killed 2 T-55's with two separate Mavs, then one T-72 and a BTR with one single Mav! Then killed one more T-72 with the remaining Mav.
    Out of Mavericks I switched to guns and killed the Strela, and then turned for a ZSU-23 (truck mounted). Apparently I came in from the wrong direction and got a burst from it at the same time as I killed it with my gun. It knocked out my avionics, all displays including the HUD only showed "STAND BY". Flew home anyway, used the analogue speedometer and made my probably best landing on ground so far in the Hornet, was standing still after less then half the runway! Then I quit for tonight, can't beat that in one evening.

Now I just have to figure out why I couldn't slew the Mavericks, might even go so far as to try to find the manual for the Hornet...

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

I've only had the one play with the AGM-65F's. I wasn't happy with having to slew them myself as I have always hated having to find targets with the Maverick seeker head, no matter which aircraft it is. The Harrier at least started with the DMT active, so you had a targetting system, the F/A-18 doesn't have anything similar so we'll be depening on the TGP when it arrives; apparently not too long now. The AGM-65E is ok though, but you will need to set up a JTAC to designate the targets OR have a Harrier or A-10C with you to designate. The difficulty, currently, is that you still need to know where the target is to be able to know where to point the aircraft to pick up the laser.

I think the Ground Attack capabilities are developing and we're about to get some pretty cool toys, we already have the HARM in the arsenal; it just doesn't work yet. It won't be long until they've got that one sorted and we can go around taking out radar sites without having to get up close and personal as we do with the Harrier.

With regards to joining up and getting together I was thinking that we need some kind of process when taking off, and we don't always have to try and take off at once. More a case of take off one at a time, or in pairs, and then follow a standard pattern to all get together and then have set positions (decided before take-off) we then fly between waypoints/targets at a set speed range so that people know what to expect. When it comes to joining up after a scrap or attack run we have something similar set up - where we agree to meet at a certain (obvious) point and height and rejoin. Maybe we could set a waypoint for this so that everyone knows where to go if they get separated. It would mean less of a haphazard approach and would take some practice, but I think we'd ultimately enjoy it more once we've got used to it and it would make us more effective on servers.

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Lol....good one OD...formation at the start has never been done in the twenty years I’ve been flying wi this lot!! Folk are just to eager to fly and also don’t go through a proper start up, batter the engine on key , taxi and warm up as you go..sod the proper system checks, onto the runway and feck anyone who isn’t ready. They then have to play catch up...happened to me a lot of the times I managed on.
    Last edited by EAF602_Puff; 2019-01-06 at 15:34.

and feck anyone who isn’t ready
    Kick the tyres, light the fires, last one back is a ....*?

*[insert non-triggering, 'safe space' acceptable insult]
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

Quote Originally Posted by Flashheart_EAF602 View Post
    Kick the tyres, light the fires, last one back is a ....*?

*[insert non-triggering, 'safe space' acceptable insult]
    Lol...yer a bugger!!

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

You'd be so proud Puff, we all start up the Hornet and Harrier properly and do the checks! It's a miracle! Next step is getting people to fly together in a way that allows us to be that bit more effective. It's no good leaving the only aircraft with a TGP 50 miles behind when you need it to drop your LGBs on a target!
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by EAF79_OD View Post
    You'd be so proud Puff, we all start up the Hornet and Harrier properly and do the checks! It's a miracle! Next step is getting people to fly together in a way that allows us to be that bit more effective. It's no good leaving the only aircraft with a TGP 50 miles behind when you need it to drop your LGBs on a target!
    Yeah, LeftWin + Home works miracles in the Hornet! Of course I still start the Viggen the normal way, flick the switches that needs to be flicked, wait for CK to go online, 9099 - Enter, and off I go!

holy shyte...Im impressed lol