Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornet Flying

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default Hornet Flying

Morning all,
    Was fun practicing the carrier ops last night. Can't believe I managed to nail three landings in three! I'd quite like to do more of that as it was entertaining. There's also a new mission from ED which is meant to be a challenge, I'm going to see if I can download it and convert it to multiplayer.

It seems a lot of you had fun with the "Valley Run" mission, but it's not much of a challenge. Let's try something a bit more skill-based? Attached is a "River Run" challenge mission that requires you to make it through all the gates in less than 345 seconds. Unlike the Valley Run, you can't just firewall the throttles, you'll have to manage airspeed to stay as fast as possible, while slow enough to make some of the turns.

Have fun and good luck!
    Mission File

I'm definitely looking forward to the Harrier/Hornet/Tomcat combination. I think we'll be a very carrier orientated group for a while! (I think even Mikke enjoyed the Hornet flying!)

On a side note, flew with Red in the Gazelle on Cold War Server. After taking out the remnants of a target missed by Viggens and the like, I ended up not being able to get my damaged Gazelle back up into the air. I went multi-crew with Red in his Gazelle and despite the known bugs in the Gazelle it was great fun! Very promising for the Tomcat, which does not appear to have the same multi-crew issues. Definitely shouldn't get bored in the back seat!

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Default Re: Hornet Flying

Yep - great fun doing carrier ops - can't believe I pulled off a couple successful traps on my first attempt in multiplayer. (I wonder if it is VR that is making it easier?)

Excellent work by Red in teaching us TACAN/nav/ILS and setting us up to enter the pattern correctly.

Bad weather & night recoveries next!
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

Funny you should mention carrier landings. I flew a little before everyone else joined in, and when alone I managed to land 2 out of 2 tries on the carrier, easy peasy compared to trying to land on a Normandie airfield. Then we tried Reds mission and suddenly I was no longer 100% with my carrier landings for some reason.
    Not only did I manage to crash into the back of the carrier once, I also had to bolt 3 times in total I think it was, and finally I ended by landing successfully on the carrier, just to taxi a bit too far, but I thought NWS-HI would allow me to turn before disaster, it didn't and I ended up falling off the carrier.

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

suddenly I was no longer 100% with my carrier landings for some reason.
    Pressure from spectators, Mikke? Or (more likely) some extra tiny lag making your traps a bit more difficult than OD and me in UK..?

I'm pleasantly surprised at getting onboard (twice) - despite my approach being far from perfect. E bracket was way too high during most of approach and caught one wire (so low and fast?).

Weirdly when I was doing the offline VFR ground landings training missions I found those to be harder in getting 140kt/8.1AoA set and a stable approach. Ended up either floating too high or slamming the thing into the concrete.
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

I find the E-Bracket can be misleading once I start to get close to the carrier. Once that happens I watch the Christmas Tree on the left of the deck and go by what the lights are telling me. I couldn't comment on VR being easier as I've never done it with Track IR. It was interesting to hear the differences in approaches that we all take though. I didn't realised I was coming in about 30kts faster than the rest of you and the only one using half flaps. I think it goes back to glider flying and being instructed that if I had to use full airbrake then I was no longer in control of the aircraft...so don't use full airbrake unless it is an emergency! I've kind of taken the same approach to flaps, it's rare that I have them full (only exception is in hovering the Harrier where you have to use full flaps).

I know it sounds boring but I am wondering whether we see if we can develop a way for us to form up properly and quickly. Anyway, more on that later. Got to go to a meeting.

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

"develop a way for us to form up properly and quickly"
    Isn't there a way to use TACAN in A/A mode to find other aircraft? I'm sure I saw something on DCS forums/hoggit/YouTube if you and your wingman separate digits by XX? you can 'see' each other and it works like a basic datalink.
    [SIG][SIG]

There is, but it is not simple or straight forward, or even that quick. I'm thinking more like getting people quicker at starting up, lining up and taking off, then a procedure in the air to get everyone together so we can then fly together properly to waypoint/target area/CAP.

The TACAN method is for stuff that is further away and isn't very reliable. I think it was a Redkite video.

There is, but it is not simple or straight forward, or even that quick. I'm thinking more like getting people quicker at starting up, lining up and taking off, then a procedure in the air to get everyone together so we can then fly together properly to waypoint/target area/CAP.
    That's what I was hoping for but it didn't really happen, we took off together then it went pear shaped,, I thought the carrier at 40 miles out would be plenty of time, next time I'll put it further out to give us time to get set up

a few links explaining Tacan and ILS
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+ils+and+tacan

Vids on correct landing, was trying to practice case 3 during the day, then have a night mission, which you will probably need to contact carrier for lights to come on

Case 1

Case 3

Not expecting anyone to get it spot on but it gives you the correct procedure

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low

Ha, tonight I realized that I have been flying the Hornet with half flaps all the time, but I finally figured out to put it on full flaps when landing, and I will try to remember to put it on auto next time while I'm flying (as opposed to taking off or landing). But with full flaps I had a better chance to land and stop! on the shorter Normandie fields, I didn't run into the perimeter fence tonight.

I still have problems hitting anything with my bombs, Zuni-4's fired in salvo can be effective even against armored units, but I need to figure out how to use the Maverick (I'm stuck at the part when choosing what display should be the one of interest. Well, maybe I can figure that out tomorrow...

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

Easy way to do it Mikke is to put a way point directly on the target, then when you come to the target WP, press the TGT button on the map screen, this then designates the target area on the HUD, you can there fore tell which area to look with your seeker, first you make your HUD SOI (sensor of interest), all small dot will appear in the centre of the flight velocity, you can then put the nose off the AC on it or slew it if your vector is close enough, you then uncage Mavs the seeker will look in the general area, you can zoom in with the FOV button, to slew the MAV make that display SOI, small diamond appears top right, you can then slew the MAV to lock, I know this sounds long winded, but Utube is your friend, and another tip Mikke, make in on the Caucuses map in an area where you can see them more clearly

And you need to do this 10 miles out

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low