Thread: Air - Air training

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default Air - Air training

Hi all,
    We had a bit of a blast this evening. I've set up the Mig-21, Mig-29A and Su-33. I don't profess to be any good in them as this is the first time I've flown them, but I can at least fire the missiles and guns and fly around in them. I think it's a step towards being able to do more in the way of air-air training against the kind of stuff we're likely to come up against online.

Also I have to say the Mig-21 is amazing!

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Default Re: Air - Air training

Yeah - great fun. Need to check all my controls on the F/A-18 though after flying around and wondering why the AIM-9s wouldn't come off the rails when I pulled the trigger....

1 vs 1 guns-only I think would also be fun now the MiG-29 has its PFM.

Then 2 vs 2, 2 vs 4, BVR etc?

(I like the way the Grimreapers do coop missions with human Red Air to balance things out. Blue = lot more aircraft but one life each. Red Air = smaller numbers, but 2 respawns)
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

Sounds good. We can go over the Hornet set up over the weekend if you want?

I’d have happily flown the aircraft before, but I had no idea how they work (still don’t know how to use the radars). I think it’s an area we could do with some practice in though, so it was good to have the air starting air quake style fight and not just be agains the AI.

I’m really looking forward to flying the Mig-21 more often!

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

I need to start by doing a major rework on my joystick programming. At the moment I have loads of things set up to the different buttons/hats that I don't actually use, and the things I do use could be swapped around now that it's no longer limited to what WinXP could handle.
    Then comes setting up the actual controls, after that I might actually be able start learning more planes than just the Viggen and the simpler planes. Just need the time to do it (though that part is starting to look slightly brighter now that I don't have to work on the apartment every spare time).

Hornet to begin with, would be nice to be able to actually fire a AIM-9 that have a good tone!

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

How about next time you’re on I’ll take a mig and act like a drone, and you use it as target practice to get those AIM-9s off. The X gets tone when it’s got a lock, it’s quite the rest of the time. I’m guessing the pilots probably got fed up of the constant growl!

I'm sure it would work as intended if I had things set up correctly in my controls, but I really doubt they are. Might be something as simple as me not having set a fire button!

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikke View Post
    I'm sure it would work as intended if I had things set up correctly in my controls, but I really doubt they are. Might be something as simple as me not having set a fire button!
    Stranger things have happened...with much cursing

We had another good night last night. Started off in the training server doing some more air to air with the Mig-21, Harrier and F-5 and moving on to the F/A-18 and Su-33 guns only. Some good times were had. I still can't quite get over how the Mig-21 seems to power slide it's way through turns and can seem to randomly stop any airflow from going over the wings leaving you helpless as you pancake into the ground! It needs vectored thrust!

After that we went on to the Cold War server and got into mixing it with the Migs. We got some good kills, but also got hit each time. More practice needed!

OD

Deltas can be twichy as the CoL may move forward quite sharply at higher alpha, leading to strong nose-up moment (as the wing has a wide chord) and a positive feedback loop where you cannot get the nose down again in time.