Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK meet up with international access!

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default UK meet up with international access!

Ok, I know we've talked about this before and think it would be a nice thing to do, but things have never gone further than that. I had a think about venues that are practicable and are as easy as possible for people to access. I've found this:

Pudsey Civic Centre

I know the area well - it is right next door to the first Police Station that I was based out of in Leeds. It has a massive, free, car park a big ASDA and M&S food very nearby. It is close to the trains and easy to access by road - and air if you're really keen on coming over for the event! There is a Travelodge not far away (£56 for the night) and it could be booked until late (they do weddings and stuff) I believe there is a bar there. It has broadband, it has most of, if not all of, what we'd need and it might not be too expensive. It also has a big screen on the wall so we could stream someone's screen to that or stick some YouTube tutorials on it!

I've not enquired as to costs or availability because I'd like to know whether there is enough interest. It might be an opportunity to get together and do some flying in one place and get some drinks in.

We can run DCS and IL2 BoX. It could be a chance for people to try VR and different controllers, get your hands on Topsy's cockpit and generally have some fun!

What do people think?
    Last edited by EAF79_OD; 2018-10-30 at 15:23.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Default Re: UK meet up with international access!

I believe there is a bar there.
    If your Intel is right then count me in, Good idea to see what others are using and trying the VR + it would be great to meet others in the EAF, or out with for that matter, if your going to post in some other forums it could gather a bit of momentum

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low

W/C of 51° Stormo, T/O Jimmi EAF51's Avatar

Getting to Leeds means changing 2 flights and start to get expensive...
    Apart from them it's a super cool idea!

VEF - Bellum- Seow Marianes - Seow Crete - Seow Stalingrad -Seow Med MultiSector NE Africa/Nw Malta - SOW I II III & IV
    155º Gruppo 51º Stormo
    We will intercept them, shoot them down and drink some grappa afterwards! Woah!

Could fly to Manchester and get the train to Pudsey (change in Leeds). Train station is a 5 minute walk away.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Rome? We could all then go to Bracciano (well worth the visit)

Liking the idea of a RL get-together!

Not sure though about taking my rig on the road. PC is getting a bit old and cranky these days (like its owner) and after RAM upgrade shenanigans I'm trying to avoid doing anything now which might end up with a BSOD.
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

Blog Entries

Nice idea, but without a job I don't have the finances.
    But taking my rig on the road is a No Go!
    To big, to heavy and to expensive for the rough handling of airtravel.
    My old Microsoft Surface Pro does not have the screen size nor the horsepower to do flightsims :-(

If we had to meet it would be for a lunch and a beer and a museum (POI) visit :-)
    "....Perspective only comes from knowing more than you need to know"
    - Chris Kubasik
    "But ignorence still prevails" -Starfire

I wasn't really anticipating people coming from overseas bringing PCs; that was more for the UK bunch as I would anticipate them coming in cars, maybe sharing lifts where possible. Taking a PC plus all the controllers, and everything else, on a plane or a train is a big ask. I wouldn't do it. What might be worth doing is bringing sticks and a copy of a profile so you can pick up as though you were on your own PC.

I've had a reply back about the hire of the space. the room I had been looking at is now an office, so it is unavailable. However, they have a similar sized room with the following rates:
    • Full day £375
    • Half day £230

I would propose that we look at at least a day and a half, probably two; we'll need to allow for set up and packing up times.

Before taking things anywhere I'd like to have a set number signed up so we can work out the costs. I'd like to keep it to less that £150 each (for UK members, I can't control costs of international travel). I'd like that £150 to include accommodation too.

If we had ten people coming and the room booked for a Saturday and Sunday that would be £750, so £75 each. A room at the Travelodge, about 2 miles away max, is £56 for a single, get a twin and it should be a better rate as you can share! It would depend on when people arrived, whether they travelled the Friday night or the Saturday morning, but that keeps things within budget. It's whether we have ten people that we can get together. Maybe we'd get a group booking discount at the Travelodge too if we booked five or six rooms. That leaves some money in the budget for food and drink too!

This wouldn't be until some time next year, so plenty of time to save up and get things organised. If it's going to happen though we need to keep things moving with it otherwise it'll never happen.

OD

W/C of 51° Stormo, T/O Jimmi EAF51's Avatar

If we arrive in London (usually ryanair land at Stansted) is anybody able to give us a ride? Manchester is again a 2 flight travel.

PS is renting some pc an option? I don't have any idea how much they could cost...!

VEF - Bellum- Seow Marianes - Seow Crete - Seow Stalingrad -Seow Med MultiSector NE Africa/Nw Malta - SOW I II III & IV
    155º Gruppo 51º Stormo
    We will intercept them, shoot them down and drink some grappa afterwards! Woah!