Thread: DCS Combined Arms

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default DCS Combined Arms

Hi all,
    I ended up being a bit too tired to play last night, so ended up tweaking the night attack mission some more and working out why the JTAC wasn't working. So I decided to add a tactical commander and potential for a player with Combined Arms to be the JTAC. It's surprisingly straight-forward to be the JTAC and it does give you some good options:
    Designate with:
    • Smoke
    • Laser
    • IR Pointer

I may do this more often in missions so that we can have a designated ground controller that is in on the action. I'll also do it for the training missions, it will mean that we can really call the fall of shot and assess an attack from the ground. It does also mean that close air support missions could become more of a reality with more active ground units. It will be interesting to see what impact this has on online play. Reports have been that it can cause some lag, so we'll see how it plays out.
    The tactical commander is able to act as a GCI or AWACs, in effect, and has a view of the map that's not covered by fog of war. They can also direct ground units to move and engage other targets, as well as AI assets such as aircraft and ships. It does mean that we can bring in stuff like F-16's that carry the HARM, as the F/A-18 currently does not. This role can be integrated with Simple Radio too, as there is an AWACs channel. This will certainly be good in those more complex missions/if we ever get a working campaign going.

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

W/C of 51° Stormo, T/O Jimmi EAF51's Avatar

Default Re: DCS Combined Arms

Want to try it in WWII environment!

Calling pony strike without laser aids and under Tiger's 88 fire will not be easy tough!

VEF - Bellum- Seow Marianes - Seow Crete - Seow Stalingrad -Seow Med MultiSector NE Africa/Nw Malta - SOW I II III & IV
    155º Gruppo 51º Stormo
    We will intercept them, shoot them down and drink some grappa afterwards! Woah!

It’ll be fine for launching coloured smoke, but not all of the WW2 vehicles are drivable was my understanding. I’ve not tried it. Combined Arms don’t not work in VR so it’s something I’ve not really played with.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

W/C of 51° Stormo, T/O Jimmi EAF51's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EAF79_OD View Post
    It’ll be fine for launching coloured smoke, but not all of the WW2 vehicles are drivable was my understanding. I’ve not tried it. Combined Arms don’t not work in VR so it’s something I’ve not really played with.

here there are some info on WWII and Combined Arms

http://www.stormofwar.org/phpBB3/vie...ed+arms#p53146

VEF - Bellum- Seow Marianes - Seow Crete - Seow Stalingrad -Seow Med MultiSector NE Africa/Nw Malta - SOW I II III & IV
    155º Gruppo 51º Stormo
    We will intercept them, shoot them down and drink some grappa afterwards! Woah!

I’d read it before, they’ve only found it with a limited number of vehicles. They said it is an aim to get Combined Arms to support the WW2 vehicles, but I just don’t know if it works with the Cromwell or the Sherman, as well known examples. In the modern stuff you can man the AAA and SAMS but I don’t know if you can get into the Bofors 40mm and blast away yet.