Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramping things up...

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default Ramping things up...

The last few nights we’ve been testing a new mission with randomised factors, AI enemies as well as potential human flown ones. Only one target has a known location, others can be revealed as the mission progresses, these then need to be inputted into the system to be able to locate the targets. There’s also no telling where AAA or SAMs will be as those pesky insurgents get everywhere.

We’ve been flying night strikes on facilities within spitting distance of the Russian border. Given that we’ve had proper opposition we’ve had to avoid AWACS detection through terrain masking and trying to decoy and deceive. We have a tanker for in-flight refuelling at night and navigation systems set up to help with finding carriers and airfields. Any crossing of the Russian border escalates the response and can have severe consequences.

It would be great to be able to show recordings of the missions, as we barrel down valleys in the pitch dark with no lights in close formation. Unfortunately I don’t think we have any. Just working on getting a couple of the triggers working perfectly and it is ready to go. I think I’ve made enough training maps now and want to focus on actual mission building with objectives to achieve. It’s the kind of thing that would be fun to host on a server, however I think our server, when it arrives, is going to be WW2 only.

I’m looking into how I can get more aircraft on a carrier as only having four at a time is very limiting and requires an extra ship, this isn’t the end of the world, but it is a bit annoying.

Aircraft list:
    4 x Harrier
    4 x Hornet
    2 x F-5E
    2 x AJS-37 Viggen
    2 x Su-33
    4 x Mig-21
    4 x A-10C
    2 x SA342M Gazelle
    2 x SA342L Gazelle

It would be great see a few more of you online with us, I know it consists of modern aircraft but this is a whole new ball game and is a real test of what we’ve been learning to date.

If you’re able to get online by 20:00, UK local, 21:00 CET then we’ll have a re-run of the mission. We’re using Simple Radio with TS3 as a backup, but it allows us to have our comms separate, while also being able to talk to anyone that wants to fly on the opposing side or to have whispers.

OD
    Last edited by EAF79_OD; 2018-10-22 at 09:33.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Default Re: Ramping things up...

Thanks to OD for creating the mission & hosting last night and even if I didn't have the bomb pickle set up it was fun flying low level a night in an eerie landscape with the RWR pinging away from time to time. I found the target and managed to get back to a friendly airfield. SRS worked well and really improves immersion with its clicks and crackles.

Here are a few screenshots from last night's mission :
    Red attacking insurgent camp : Screen_181021_235020.jpg
    Red evading AAA: Screen_181021_235026.jpg
    OD taking a hit from Jaks :Screen_181021_235109.jpg

After the mission I sorted out my bomb pickle command and sank two ships in Cherbourg with Mavericks
    "Sit and spin the fire". Extract from Topsy Turvey Land, a poem by William Brighty Rands.
    "In the bar everyone knows what they should have done - the problem is in applying it in the heat of the action". F Barthe RIP

Glad that's sorted. Certainly helps when you can fire the weapons!
    I plan to make more missions along these lines, and I'll do it for WW2 as well. It's been quite handy already in that it has made us think about the tactics that we use in situations like this. If there is no air threat then we can hang around making passes all day long and have no worries. As soon as there is an air threat we all need to be in and out as soon as possible and ready to switch stance to combat fighters.

I'm thinking we should start to look at asymmetric loadouts on the Harrier so that there is a smart weapon available, but a dumb weapon to complement it, as well as having a rocket pod or two. Always having at least one AIM-9 too, the Sidearm can be handy for radar guided AAA (of which there is some in the mission)
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Sounds good. Sign me up for a Harrier! (Still gotta get Simple RAdio to work properly)

With these hand-crafted co-op missions I wonder if we could utilise that CombatFlite programme for mission planning?

Add CAP, tanker tracks, FLOT, Bullseyes, frequencies etc as a kneeboard that we can have set up?
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

just let me know when we are flying WW2..

Quote Originally Posted by EAF602_Puff View Post
    just let me know when we are flying WW2..
    @Puff
    I have one or two WWII missions on the Normandy map with plenty of ground and air targets. Even if they are not so sophisticated as OD's missions which have trigger zones and varied responses, they do offer good fun. Just let me know when a few want to fly and i'll be happy to host : all you need is Normandy map and WWII Assets pack
    "Sit and spin the fire". Extract from Topsy Turvey Land, a poem by William Brighty Rands.
    "In the bar everyone knows what they should have done - the problem is in applying it in the heat of the action". F Barthe RIP

Sounds good mate

Quote Originally Posted by Flashheart_EAF602 View Post
    Sounds good. Sign me up for a Harrier! (Still gotta get Simple RAdio to work properly)

With these hand-crafted co-op missions I wonder if we could utilise that CombatFlite programme for mission planning?

Add CAP, tanker tracks, FLOT, Bullseyes, frequencies etc as a kneeboard that we can have set up?
    We have most of those things in the mission and your ore-planned waypoints are on the kneeboard. At the moment I don’t know how to use that software as I’ve not had a chance to sit down with it. It’s on the list!

We ran a mission tonight after some mission tweaks and it's certainly getting there. We need more online though, that will make it a lot more engaging...We can run it again on Sunday and Monday. We also got Osprey on comms for the first time too!

Quote Originally Posted by EAF79_OD View Post
    We ran a mission tonight after some mission tweaks and it's certainly getting there. We need more online though, that will make it a lot more engaging...We can run it again on Sunday and Monday.
    And we could use a ship or two to the north, perhaps not the most brutal cruiser, but something more to shoot at.
    Most of all I need more time in the cockpits, one hour per week is really not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EAF79_OD View Post
    We also got Osprey on comms for the first time too!
    Great! TS or SR?

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"