Thread: Opens door and sees dust covered bar ...

Default Opens door and sees dust covered bar ...

Hi guys,
    Anyone active in here ?
    Kind of feeling a desire to try some flying, don't know what though.
    Is IL2 still a mess with third party add-ons, are you all flying other things or hung up the flying goggles ?

Default Re: Opens door and sees dust covered bar ...

Hey Fella, there are some of us are still here. Still have fond memories of us all meeting up at Duxford and your BBQ.

Check out the excellent BOS series, like the IL2 series of old. Its really matured now and new versions of the WW1 sim ROF, a new WW2 and a tank commander sim. - https://il2sturmovik.com/media/

If you want to come back, we can sort a training plan with BOS with the OTU to get you back up to speed. Otherwise just let us know in here or the pub when you are going to fly (Monday & Thursday) or you need help in general setting up.

DCS is more of a study sim but another popular choice, especially for Jets but also a few WW2 planes, but for starter stick with BOS - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/index.php

Hi Swoop, Thanks, will check those out
    Cliffs of Dover not being played ?
    Will be needing a controller too, any recommendations without breaking the bank ?

Post Re: Opens door and sees dust covered bar ...

Ok... do I need Battle of Stalingrad, and Kuban and Moscow, or just BoS or any one of them ?
    I can find Stalingrad and Moscow, but no Kuban (apart from the site linked above which is way overpriced )

check out Snafu's thread up in the IL2 forum in here, he's doing the same as you mate, and saves my fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Majik EAF92 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Anyone active in here ?
    Kind of feeling a desire to try some flying, don't know what though.
    Is IL2 still a mess with third party add-ons, are you all flying other things or hung up the flying goggles ?
    Hi Majik, hope you and the family are well.

Nothing to see here mate. The squadron forums were moved under one umbrella as it was deemed better to have a group/wing forum which would promote posting there. If you have a browse round you can see how well that worked out.

You’ll still find the usual suspects flying about on Steam. Most of us 92 chaps are still active, flying DCS. Usually Saturdays due to RL.

I have dabbled with BoS, especially since picking up VR, but it’s taken until the recent update to really make it shine particularly from a campaign point of view.

Hope to see you up in the blue.

Do you still race? Splash and I beta trialled Project Cars and now have PCars 2. Again VR makes it shine.
    Keets.

Hi Keets,
    Yes all well here thanks. Hope the same applies to all my old companions from IL2
    No funds for VR here .... and if I did I wouldn't know which one to plump for
    I have just got BoS, now looking at joysticks, all spent out with the new PC build!
    Racing I have been doing on consoles, but may get back into it on PC one day ... just so much easier/more relaxing on the sofa
    I have sold the XB but can run Forza 7 and Horizon 3 on the PC, and have Pcars2 and GT5 on PS4, though haven't actually played PCars2 much as it still isn't great with a controller.
    I hear ya with RL, I am not in an ideal situation for PC gaming time either ATM.

Hello Simon, Oddly enough I had been thinking of you and 92 lately, I guess because of where we are now is where you and Brigs were in terms of of CLOD, DCS and ROF back in the day.

What are you lads flying in DCS and are you flying in BOS? Would be fun to join up and fly on the same server sometime. Many of us are really enjoying the Harrier and I keep putting of starting the long process of learning the A10. Really enjoyed flying the Spitfire IX in VR but enjoy the BOS MkVb VR experience more as its smoother for me. (Rift)

BOS is very nice like you said especially since this patch and the series looks to have a future ahead which wasn't a given. I love flying the i16 in VR and can you imagine flying the "new" ROF in VR...drool.

BTW Keets,
    I took the plunge and got a wheel after having an evening round Johnny Red's on his.
    So sim racing will be back on the cards too, what are you guys racing atm ?