Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EAF DCS Harrier Training Syllabus

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Default Re: EAF DCS Harrier Training Syllabus

The smoke signals don't seem to be working at all, and I can not see a reason why. I've even simplified it down to just having to have an aircraft in the right zone, regardless of height or speed. I'll keep working on it. The rest of it is ok, the Tanker takes off without issue the Carrier is present. Happy to fly it with anyone, just want to get these smoke triggers to work.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Got the Vertical Landing Test Zones to work...they will fire signal flares depending on which zone is landed in. There seems to be a problem with some of the smoke markers and putting them on units (which is what I had been doing).

Now I've got to establish why the JTAC isn't lasing targets, he's lasing some dead-ground!

OD
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Any target ships in the mission?

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

No, but I could add some just for you!

Quote Originally Posted by EAF79_OD View Post
    No, but I could add some just for you!
    Yes please, just don't make it a Pyotr (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia..._Pyotr_Velikiy), that seems to be the russian equivalent of an AEGIS cruiser, launches S-300's in pairs and when placed in the middle of the channel it have a range to get to both London and Paris at the same time...
    Last edited by Mikke; 2018-04-17 at 08:07. Reason: Checked the name of the ship

Bad luck last night gents. Just got the thing started and up and running (with Kneeboard help - thx OD) and was tooling around S of the base near waypoint 4 looking for whatever I was supposed to be attacking when I spotted a couple of SAM smoke trails behind me. Was just about to start pumping chaff & flares when Windows crashed into BSOD.

Hour later of booting into BIOS and the Overclocking screen & its PC is up and running again.... Natures way of telling you you need a new PC?
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

or to high an overclock...overheating or maybe ran out of ram (report memory leak) ?

Crashes is unfortunately not completely unknown in DCS, though I haven't had it happen to me all that often. So while you might need new hardware, it's not sure that's the reason. If you have it happen more often, you should probably look into it on the ED forum, but if it's a one time think it might just be a fluke.
    Though for me when DCS have crashed, it have been just DCS, Windows (10) would keep running, and I could eventually kill DCS. If you get a BSOD or simply sudden death, it's more likely hardware related.

We've done some testing and I've got some feedback which I can hopefully have implemented before Thursday. We've also found a bug in the TGP and DMT after a while and how to solve it (turn the DMT off and on again!). We've then practised toss bombing and we can now nail it pretty much every time! It's quite exciting using LGBs from extremely low level at high speed. If we can get to grips with this technique we can really use in on servers for precision hits with the designating aircraft around 8-10 miles away. They don't have to be too high, so long as they can keep the target in view for the attacking aircraft. In a flight of four we could have two designating on different codes and two running in to hit different targets, or if it was a big target just use one code and have both attackers hitting with a couple of bombs on the same target. As a way to win a map it might be unmatched. It's just a shame the Viggen doesn't have LGBs too.

Updated the OP to reflect a couple of sub-topics based on last night's experiments.