Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EAF DCS Harrier Training Syllabus

Default EAF DCS Harrier Training Syllabus

EAF: DCS Harrier Training Programme:
    Proposed training programme for new pilots to the Harrier in European Air Force. The Harrier requires different thinking to most conventional aircraft, due to the vectored thrust and ability to hover. Take off and landing processes and approaches are different, nothing major, but it is an adjustment. Once in flight the Harrier is the same as any other fourth generation aircraft in the way it responds to controls and performs. However, as with other fourth generation aircraft it requires a knowledge of the systems to get the best out of it. I’d like feedback or suggestions for things that should be covered, but this is what I have come up with so far:

Aircraft Control:
    Topic 1: Control assignments and start-up
    Topic 2: Taxi and take off
    Topic 3: Short landing
    Topic 4: Low speed handling
    Topic 5: Transition to vertical flight
    Topic 6: Hovering
    Topic 7: Vertical take-off
    Topic 8: Vertical landing
    Topic 9: Carrier Ops

Aircraft systems:
    Topic 1: Essential systems and how to access them
    Topic 2: DMT use
    • Attacking designated targets
    • CCRP bombing
    • FLIR ( Forward Looking Infra Red)
    Topic 3: TGP use
    • Finding targets
    • Laser codes
    • Designating targets
    Topic 4: Navigation
    • Waypoints
    • TACAN
    • Kneeboard
    Topic 5: Night flying

Weapons:
    Topic 1: CCIP bombing
    • Mk 82 ‘Snakeye’
    • Mk 82
    Topic 2: CCIP rocket attacks
    Topic 3: Gunpod - Strafing attacks
    Topic 4: Gunpod – air to air mode
    Topic 5: AIM9 Sidewinder
    Topic 6: AGM-65 Maverick operation
    Topic 7: GBU12/16 laser guided bombs
    Topic 7a: CCRP bombing
    Topic 7b: Toss bombing
    Topic 8: Cluster bomb operation - Rockeye
    Topic 9 : Sidearm Missile
    Topic 10: Counter-measures

Processes:
    Topic 1: Air to air refuelling
    Topic 2: JTAC cooperation

Between those of us that have had the Harrier for some time we can easily cover all of these subjects and pass on our experiences. All it requires is a few more pilots purchasing the Harrier module! It’s a really enjoyable aircraft to fly and a good challenge. Yes it is modern and it uses missiles but when you look at some of the missions we have to fly there is the usual WW2 style ground attack mission as well as precision strikes with guided weapons. Sometimes LGBs just aren’t a practical solution in a hostile environment, so a low level, high speed, strike with Mk-82 Snakeye retarded bombs is the only way to do it!
    Last edited by EAF79_OD; 2018-04-24 at 08:31. Reason: Additional sub-topics added
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Default Re: EAF DCS Harrier Training Syllabus

Looks comprehensive! Guess we need Harrier OCU skins...
    [SIG][SIG]

It's a damn good job they're in the RAF, otherwise they'd be all out there blowing up banks. (Derek Robinson, 'Piece of Cake')

Well volunteered!
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

I think we can cover quite a lot in a lesson, maybe call them topics instead of lesson. It sounds less daunting!

Controls and the terminology was key at the start for me, then how to start her up, then the right procedure for a take off from the ground, circuit and then landing.

Move onto tacan, air to air refuelling and awl system

Moving onto carrier.

Then weapons with the dmt, tpod, lasing and using autopilot.

Then night ops with the above.

Using the map and navigation is still a weak point.

All of the above could be covered in quite a short amount time with expectation that the pilot in training will put the time in between lessons as the need to do these thing quite quickly is needed in a mission.

A great way to Nav is to use the Bullseye, it’s on every map, a blue and a red circle on the map use the ruler tool,(on the menu bar at the top), if icons are on right click on the bullseye and draw a line to your aircraft, IE 315 from Bulls at 20 miles Angels 15, this will be a lot easier once the rolling map is implemented

All in all a good program OD and theres loads of tutorials covering just about everything on utube

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low

I’ve updated the OP to say topics instead of lessons. They could definitely be covered in one ‘lesson’ but my guess is sometimes they’ll need repeating a few times.

Maybe we should devise some tests too...I have some ideas!

Nice, I’m sure we’d be happy to test the tests.

Flash and Topsy might be great candidate for starters?

I’ll have to find the time to make the missions up, but I can do that. Or I could try and adapt one that is pre-existing. I’ll see what I can do, but time is getting really squeezed right now. May have to trade flying time for mission building.

I got a bit of a break this afternoon and I have made a mission that should allow for all of the above to be carried out. Aircraft will be flying from Kutaisi.

Included Aircraft:
    2 x Pupil test Harriers
    4 x Instructor Harriers
    2 x AJS37 Viggen
    2 x Hawk aggressor trainers

Target Zones:
    Senaki
    • Two columns of BMPs - designed for CCIP targeting for Mk-82 Snakeyes and Cluster munitions.
    • One Column of T-55s - designated by JTAC (Code 1688, marked with Green Smoke) for training purposes.
    • One Column of Trucks - Strafing, Rockets and Cluster munitions

Kobuleti
    SAM training area with SA-8 and SA-9 missile launchers

As well as that I have a set of triggers that need testing but should be able to show whether someone can conduct a vertical landing in a restricted area. Get within a 25ft radius and the pupil will get green smoke, within a 75ft diameter and there will be orange smoke, within a 100ft diameter and there will be red smoke. I think it is safe to say that we want the green smoke. This test will need to be passed five times before progressing to carrier trials.

Non-weapons training:
    The map has a Tanker flying from Tbilisi and will then fly a Race-track pattern from the Tbilisi area to the Black Sea (so long straight legs!)
    USS Tarawa is sailing in the Black Sea
    Navigation training to be conducted with TACAN between bases (where available - to be confirmed at a later date)

Very nice OD!

I'd like to try this all myself and see how I do, especially the landing but also my nemesis the air to air refueling.

Maybe suggest a day to run this and get Flash and Topsy in as well, happy to help.

Long term and with Starfire's approval this would be good to add this type of work into the OTU Wiki, with a link to the mission if it works!