Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replica Spitfire Flying controls for sims

Default Re: Replica Spitfire Flying controls for sims

Just have to read all the instructions. (And I had to rotate and resize the top picture.)
    Looking good btw!

"The more thy sweat in training,
    The less thy bleed in combat!"

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing, T/O EAF79_OD's Avatar

Topsy has written a post for the blog site with details of the project

I think it will generate quite a bit of attention, I'll post it out in the usual places tomorrow with the additional post in the Home Cockpit Builders forum on Facebook.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Thanks to the communication and general enthusiasm about the project, if the prototype works OK I will already have to make up at least 6 extra sets. Something to keep me busy in my spare time instead of going down to my local for a beer ! ????
    "Sit and spin the fire". Extract from Topsy Turvey Land, a poem by William Brighty Rands.
    "In the bar everyone knows what they should have done - the problem is in applying it in the heat of the action". F Barthe RIP

we're getting more views per day than normal after a post as a result of the posts about the Spitfire controls and Oculus Touch. Getting around 50 views per day without any plugging; normally about 5 or 6 referred from other sites.
    Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Topsy has written an update on progress

Update :

This week we had a meeting with the 3D printing production team. Designs for the various elements were reviewed and a number of modifications were recommended to take into account some 3D printing constraints, notably increasing tolerances for moving parts and increasing minimal thicknesses here and there.

Looking ahead to a small production run we decided to use slightly larger potentiometers than the units I had originally planned, in order to increase reliability and ensure supply of parts. This involves some redesign of the throttle quadrant as the unit needs to house two potentiometers within a confined space (just over 1" deep) while keeping clear of moving parts. This makes for quite a puzzle !

The same goes for the rudder & elevator trim wheels, which will be positioned on a facsimile chain guard, and who both need a bit of redesign to ensure better rigidity.

We have decided to place the brake lever potentiometer on the brake lever axis, rather than placing it at the foot of the control column with a mechanical link. This again means some modification to the initial spade grip design, but for this as with all the other elements, the challenge is to incorporate the electronic elements with minimal changes to external appearance.

This unfortunately means that prototype building and testing has to be put back for a few weeks while I redesign the units before they can be printed.

From the esthetic point of view, last week I added recessed lettering to the various items such as "FUEL CUTOFF", "THROTTLE", "AIRSCREW CONTROL" to the appropriate levers, details on the VHF radio remote control unit identification plaque and to the front panel with the annotations for the buttons and switches, as well as labels for the trim wheels. I will post some updated pics later.
    "Sit and spin the fire". Extract from Topsy Turvey Land, a poem by William Brighty Rands.
    "In the bar everyone knows what they should have done - the problem is in applying it in the heat of the action". F Barthe RIP