Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle over Stalingrad - pilots opinions?

Default Re: Battle over Stalingrad - pilots opinions?

There are some interesting and "new" views of the planes FM I'm reading in their forum, latest was the upcoming Mig3u saying it's more manoeuvrable than an I16 at all altitudes!! This was from a pilot who has flown both and is involved in the BOM developments. I actually find this approach rather refreshing, actually testing some of the real planes. Blues are freaking out of course.

Check out this vid at the 5:00 min mark from the test pilot Vladimir Barsuk,-

S/L, X/O of 41 Wing Stuntman_EAF331's Avatar

Barsuk is a very talnted and outspoken test pilot, that also has been starred in many russian war documentaries of the russian aircraft.

I remember him telling in a video to one of the executive producers of BOS, that the I-16 is basically an unaerodynamic, shortened shoebox with a trechourous unbalanced centre of gravity, that wants to put you into a flat spin if you don't fly the plane balanced or with care during manuvers. The I-16 was way too short and is not an easy aircraft to fly hard, hence why so many russian WW2 pilots died in accidents.

It is interesting and logic that an unstable first generation radial monoplane is less stable, slower and not as manuverable as the design they came up with to superceed it. Polikarpov was sacked and the combined designers of MiG got the main budget to produce a state-of-the-art interceptor. A long and sleek fuselage design with no obstacles, a large and powerful inline engine and centre of gravity well balanced with the cockpit at the back and a prolonged tail. It's wings long for added lift at high altitude, which should help even more at low to avoid stalling. If we are lucky, they will also include the engine modification for low altitude (supercharger gear trimmed for low alt).

Whatever happens, I look forward to fly the MiG-3.
    Last edited by Stuntman_EAF331; 2015-08-17 at 08:02.

"Alt for Norge! - All for Norway!" - King Haakon VII.
    My YouTube channel and EAF videos

just goes to show that 'maneuverability' is a very general term

Whatever happens, I look forward to fly the MiG-3.
    And I; even if it is a bit poor against the 109s.

W/C of 51° Stormo, T/O Jimmi EAF51's Avatar

Clearly i need more time with the macchi
    last night wan't using WEP!

VEF - Bellum- Seow Marianes - Seow Crete - Seow Stalingrad -Seow Med MultiSector NE Africa/Nw Malta - SOW I II III & IV
    155º Gruppo 51º Stormo
    We will intercept them, shoot them down and drink some grappa afterwards! Woah!

Flt/Lt, X/O of OTU Apollo_EAF331's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As we could see yesterday Jimmi, the Macchi performs well with Boost. It was an even match with the 109F4 and I even had to work very hard in the Yak to stay away from your guns. I think it would have outperformed the LA5 and of course the Lagg3. We can try them next time.

Are you guys flying on Thursday?I'd love to try the BoS aircraft against human opponents.

Dropped on to the channel last night but my Italian was not up to the chat about Macchis

Flt/Lt, X/O of OTU Apollo_EAF331's Avatar
    Blog Entries

let me know if you can during your daytime any day. I'm available from 12-17 UTC

If I manage to pull a sickie from work I'll fire it up and see if you're about