Blog Comments

Reminds me of the old FCS/WCS that I have in storage (with an non-working extra for both!), they served me well from when I bought my first PC in -95 (the WCS was probably bought in -96 though) until I bought my Cougar in -02 I think it was. The FCS/WCS wasn't perfect, but old Thrustmasters service sure was!
    First defensWe were practicing a wingman defence. My wingman and me was in a line abreast, combat spread of 500m. Just like our bracket training it was very formalized. I was told exactly what to do! The maneuver is called a split. The left man goes left and the right man goes right when one of them was attacked. The defensive man makes a relaxed turn calling out when he passes every 90 degree. The offensive wingman makes a tighter turn and starts calling out flying orders when he got tally on the bandit. On my try I did a break turn, pulling max G. On my 2 I did the same with the throttle all back to make him overshoot :-/ All by reflex..
    The stuff was a lot easier to understand in theory than in practice. In this session I unfortunately managed to try the Patience of one of my instructors and it shows how difficult it can be for an old dog like me to forget what he has learned in the past. It also showed to me how important to train these kind of thing with the same person again and again.
    Tell us more? What did you do in the "wrong" way?
    Well done Mr Starfire! Welcome back to normal squadlife. I'm looking forward to a debrief of how they teach and if we can use some of this in our training. It sounds to me like we could.
    Well done that man

Starfires on the bell....a whiskey for me please
    Can't wait to hear about it! Good luck.
    Good luck for Wednesday Starfire
    Great report, as usual.

Now that you are full of good ideas to improve our own navigation training it would be a good time to go through that stage, don't you think? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo_EAF331
    8m separation! Very close. Don't know if I've ever done that.
    Not for so long. Both you, Stuntman, Jimmi and Mram have been creeping up close during training or combat, but I have always asked you to back off because I was scared of a mid-air collision
    8m separation! Very close. Don't know if I've ever done that.
    I love fair weather flying mate! I don't mind a crosswind though. Wish I had flown to Kai Tak, but was never that lucky. Been to Narsaruaq and that was a blast!
    Updated 2012-10-11 at 14:52 by Apollo_EAF331
    I did let out a few other things but that was because it was hard to write about so late in the evening.
    I like it because it challeged me, just as flying a damaged a/c home in a SEOW.
    I have to be at my very best at both flying and navigating.
    During my first navigation flight yesterday I made several mistakes; I misjudged runway altitude made a hard landing.
    I almost forgot my gear on one of the landings. On the second the my aircraft slided sideways on two of my Touch&Go's.
    This made my pamls sweat.

Had I been doing this for a living I would have prefered clear skies ;)
    Now imagine the wind is 40-50 degrees off your nose at 20 gusting to 30 knots coming over the hills creating turbulence so you have a hard time seeing your instruments. And for good measure, you're not in the confines of your room in front of a monitor, but in the cockpit after a long day of flying.

Kind of sucks sometimes.
    I sounds like you have had the displeasure of landing at Kai-Tak

I just looked at youtube. I get a chill down my spine everytime I see a landing on that closed airfield
    It is hard to resist flying at night with clouds at less than 1000m, lightning striking the ground all around you; With rain hitting your windscreen
    Now imagine the wind is 40-50 degrees off your nose at 20 gusting to 30 knots coming over the hills creating turbulence so you have a hard time seeing your instruments. And for good measure, you're not in the confines of your room in front of a monitor, but in the cockpit after a long day of flying.

Kind of sucks sometimes.
    Pick up all the tricks you can. That's the whole idea. Also be aware of good instruction techniques please.
    I am an old dog who need to unlearn some of my bad habits
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfire_EAF331

There were no explanation of the scope.
    A scope could be: "You are up deep shit river without a paddle and your friends are all at home drinking te and eating bisquites".
    I tend to fight with the bigger picture in mind.

But he did gave away a few good tricks, like offloading the plane before you shoot ;-)
    I know you do my friend. An explanation that this kind of fighting is a last ditch effort, would be good for the student.

Pick up all the tricks you can. That's the whole idea. Also be aware of good instruction techniques please.
    Why did you not like all what you saw? It seems that this ACM training was at very slow speed. Slow speed energy management and aircraft control? I want to learn how to do a proper barrel roll by the way. Very good reading Mr Starfire. Thank you sir.
    I saw a use of flaps with no regard for tomorrow. I saw loops and I saw a lot of burn and turn.
    When I asked for a why the explanation was: "I killed you, diden't I"?!
    Justifying it like that not a good way of giving people and undestanding

There were no explanation of the scope.
    A scope could be: "You are up deep shit river without a paddle and your friends are all at home drinking te and eating bisquites".
    I tend to fight with the bigger picture in mind.

But he did gave away a few good tricks, like offloading the plane before you shoot ;-)
    Why did you not like all what you saw? It seems that this ACM training was at very slow speed. Slow speed energy management and aircraft control? I want to learn how to do a proper barrel roll by the way. Very good reading Mr Starfire. Thank you sir.
    I did not like all of what I saw, but I can not argue about the effectiveness of my instructor way of using these maneuvers and his reason behind using them.
    Can you please specify which maneuvers?
    Updated 2012-10-07 at 09:54 by Nepe EAF51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepe EAF51
    Great reading. Thanks!

Can we have a track of a correct barrell-roll, please? :-)

I have, but UP3 will not leave me any control when track are rolling. I can't even get Esc to work. I have to got to the taskmanager and crash it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast